Speculation: Dougie Hamilton and the Logic Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Don’t conflate “under team control” and “cost controlled”. Depending on how his contrac(s) pan out in that 5 years he may not actually be that cost controlled.

For the record, I do think Hanifin is going to be a stud.
The timings right, both are RFA’s. If the contracts are done right, I think it’s safe to say, Hanifin will be significantly cheaper than Hamilton, in 3 years time and fairly comparable.

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd do Hamilton for lindholm and hanifin.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Lindholm

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Stone/Kulak
Probably the best scenario, but man I’d be hard not to pencil Lindholm in on the top line. One of the best fits to compliment Johnny and Monahan, IMO.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Here are a couple more arguments which I don't necessarily believe, but am willing to ponder.

When Giordano was paired with TJ Brodie, they were one of the best pairings in the league. When Giordano was paired with Deryk Engelland, they were effective. When Giordano is paired with Dougie Hamilton, they are one of the the best pairings in the league. The common theme there is Gio, and another common theme is that each of those three guys were less effective on other pairings than they look with Giordano.

What if Haninin is just as good a defenceman as Hamilton, but just doesn't have the opportunity to play with Giordano? In that case, we'd be essentially getting a RW without downgrading anything.

Also, trading away a RHD means Andersson has a spot to win, and he seems more than ready.

I'd be fine if Calgary did a Lindholm + Hanifin for Hamilton type deal. Hanifin is the real deal; and Lindholm still has more upside.
I'm just completely floored by moving Dougie to Forward.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not really sure what you’re getting at. Are you suggesting Dougie isn’t a near elite dman? Or that Hanifin doesn’t have a ton of upside?

You are overrating Hanafin severely if you think he is going to be better than Josi

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Not really sure what you’re getting at. Are you suggesting Dougie isn’t a near elite dman? Or that Hanifin doesn’t have a ton of upside?
Or they could both follow the Bouwmeester trajectory and effectively be shells of their former potential, by the time they’re 27. Both Hamilton and Hanifin remind me of him, in a lot of ways. Both are sheltered, at this point, and I think it’s still fairly 50-50 as to whether they take the next step, becoming bonified #1’s or if they become the next J-Bow.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Or they could both follow the Bouwmeester trajectory and effectively be shells of their former potential, by the time they’re 27. Both Hamilton and Hanifin remind me of him, in a lot of ways. Both are sheltered, at this point, and I think it’s still fairly 50-50 as to whether they take the next step, becoming bonified #1’s or if they become the next J-Bow.
In what universe is Hamilton sheltered? The only situations Dougie was sheltered was when we were on the PK, which was a lot, but don't let that fool you into thinking he was sheltered from tough matchups.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You are overrating Hanafin severely if you think he is going to be better than Josi

I’m actually not. Hanifin is a fantastic young player with a ton of potential who’s only going to keep on improving.

Pre-draft, Hanifin was thought of as having the upside of a franchise dman. Honestly, his development to this point hasn’t done much to make me think he’s not on that trajectory.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
In what universe is Hamilton sheltered? The only situations Dougie was sheltered was when we were on the PK, which was a lot, but don't let that fool you into thinking he was sheltered from tough matchups.
Well, in the universe, like a lot of young defensemen, where you get 1st PP minutes, next to no PK minutes and your partner has always been the superior player, 95% of your career. It makes a huge difference. I’m not so sure you get the same results if Hamilton is the superior player on the pairing.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Well, in the universe, like a lot of young defensemen, where you get 1st PP minutes, next to no PK minutes and your partner has always been the superior player, 95% of your career. It makes a huge difference. I’m not so sure you get the same results if Hamilton is the superior player on the pairing.
He still has to defend against other team's top offensive lines. That's in no way being sheltered.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Great deal BTW.

Lindholm in Calgary is a huge win.

Hanifin has an incredible upside.

The reason behind this move will leak out in the days to come. Best of luck to Ferland.

Fox was never going to play in Calgary so it was best to get something for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad