Confirmed with Link: Doug Lidster named to Canucks coaching staff

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Gully!

@ElliottPap
Glen Gulutzan believed to be staying on and will be a Willie Desjardins assistant along with Doug Lidster. #Canucks

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
so basically our entire coaching staff is going to be inexperience ?

Doug Lidster was officially named the Texas Stars assistant coach on July 6, 2012. Prior to joining the Stars, he served as the Assistant Coach for the Canadian Women’s National Hockey team from 2008-2010, where he helped guide Team Canada to the 2010 Olympic Gold Medal in Vancouver, as well as the 2009 4 Nations Cup Championship in Finland, the 2010 MLP Cup Championship in Germany and a silver-medal win at the 2009 IIHF World Women’s Championship in Finland. Lidster was also an assistant coach for the Women’s Team in 2003-04, helping them win gold at the 2004 IIHF World Women’s Championship and silver at the 2003 4 Nations Cup.
Lidster, 52, began coaching while in St. Louis at Parkway West High School and he also spent several years coaching minor hockey in New York and British Columbia. He was an assistant coach with Medicine Hat of the Western Hockey League in 2002-03, teaming up with new Stars head coach Willie Desjardins, who was the Tigers’ bench boss at the time. Lidster was the head coach of the Ontario Hockey League’s Saginaw Spirit during the in 2004-05 and he was the coaching director for the Victory Honda AAA hockey program in Plymouth, Michigan from 2005-09.
The native of Kamloops, British Columbia, was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the seventh round (133rd overall) of the 1980 NHL Entry Draft. He played four years of college hockey for Colorado College of the WCHA. The defenseman enjoyed a very distinguished collegiate career where he tallied 174 points (56 goals, 118 assists) in 145 career NCAA games for the Tigers; he was twice named to the WCHA First All-Star Team, he was an All-American as a senior (1982-83) and he is a member of the Colorado College Athletics Hall of Fame. Lidster made his National Hockey League debut with Vancouver during the 1983-84 season and went on to play sixteen seasons for the Canucks, New York Rangers, St. Louis Blues and Dallas Stars. In 897 career games, he recorded 343 points (75 goals, 268 assists) and 679 penalty minutes. He played in a total of 80 Stanley Cup playoff games and he won two Stanley Cups, with the Rangers in 1994 and the Stars in 1999.
Lidster also represented the Canadian Men’s National Team as both a player and a coach. He played for Team Canada in the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo and three IIHF World Championships, winning silver in 1985 and 1991 and placing fourth in 1990. He was a player/assistant coach for Team Canada in 1998-99 and an assistant coach in 2003 helping coach the team to the 2003 Spengler Cup Championship in Switzerland.
Lidster and his wife Joanne have three children, Ryan, Brianna and Colin.

How is that "inexperienced"?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Dan murphy was saying on the podcast last year that he didnt think glen had much say at all and even on the PP.

I got the impression from murphys comments glen was the odd man out last year on the staff.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Dan murphy was saying on the podcast last year that he didnt think glen had much say at all and even on the PP.

I got the impression from murphys comments glen was the odd man out last year on the staff.

yeah i heard that. i got the same impression, that torts and sully just created a weird two man echo chamber and he chilled on the outside

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Interesting. I figured he had little input on the general system/style of play, but figured at least the PP was his job to run. Clearly Gillis didn't thoroughly discuss this with both Torts and Sullivan before making the hire, or have them both have a talk before making the hire.

I still like Gulutzan as a coach, glad he's still on board.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm impressed by Lidster's coaching resumé, which suggests a commitment to learning his craft. I hope it means big things for Edler et al.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Gully!

@ElliottPap
Glen Gulutzan believed to be staying on and will be a Willie Desjardins assistant along with Doug Lidster. #Canucks

Good news.

Hopefully it means Gulutzan is an assistant coach and not an assistant to the coach. ;)

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
**** gully is staying
How is that a bad thing? Gulutzan was reduced to being an empty suit last year while Torts and Sullivan - mostly Sullivan since Torts couldn't be bothered to come to work most days - ran the team into the ground.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lidster is certainly a guy I want calling the shots on this blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad