Confirmed with Link: Doug Lidster named to Canucks coaching staff

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
Pretty sure the ??? is Jim Agnew.

Jim freakin' Agnew!! Wow, thanks for helping solve this 'mystery of the ages' for me.

I haven't heard Agnew's name in a looooooong time. Totally forgot he was even a Canuck.

I can confirm the mystery man is Jim Agnew. He somehow played 24 games for the Canucks that season, and I don't remember a single one of them.

That makes 2 of us. I don't even remember Agnew being on the Canucks on NHL 93 or 94, and I played the hell outta those games on my killer Sega Genesis.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Jim freakin' Agnew!! Wow, thanks for helping solve this 'mystery of the ages' for me.

I haven't heard Agnew's name in a looooooong time. Totally forgot he was even a Canuck.

That makes 2 of us. I don't even remember Agnew being on the Canucks on NHL 93 or 94, and I played the hell outta those games on my killer Sega Genesis.

Agnew was a pretty tough customer, but often bit off a bit more than he could chew. Here's probably the highlight of his time with the Canucks...

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
He wasn't on the Canucks at that point – the Whalers picture I posted above was from the 1992-93 season, and that was his last time in the league.

That makes sense. I thought 'The Big Steal' was from 93-94, but it was 92-93. (LOVE those 93' Whalers jerseys by the way. One of the best ever).

Anyway, now that we've figured this all out... I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
So I've been thinking that the "Big Steal" poster was from a Broadway play or something HAHA. For the last 6-7 posts it's been mentioned. But I'm pretty sure it's from the Canucks' 91-92 season...probably somewhere before the deadline but before the playoffs. Larionov and Gregg were indicators of that, as they were there for the 91-92 season but not the 92-93 season.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
That makes sense. I thought 'The Big Steal' was from 93-94, but it was 92-93. (LOVE those 93' Whalers jerseys by the way. One of the best ever).

Anyway, now that we've figured this all out... I'll be able to sleep tonight.

:laugh: So happy someone got this.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
So I've been thinking that the "Big Steal" poster was from a Broadway play or something HAHA. For the last 6-7 posts it's been mentioned. But I'm pretty sure it's from the Canucks' 91-92 season...probably somewhere before the deadline but before the playoffs. Larionov and Gregg were indicators of that, as they were there for the 91-92 season but not the 92-93 season.
Yep, The Big Steal was 1991-92, Road Trip (cowboy theme) was 1992-93, and something like "under construction" (it was breaking ground on GM Place) was 1993-94.

bo2shink*

He was a pretty willing scrapper for us, i loved the guy.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Gulutzan interviewed for the Giants head coach position on Tuesday. (I picked this up from another poster in the Desjardins thread, and thought it worthwhile reposting here.)

http://www.gdrinnan.blogspot.ca

It's hard not to read this as a sign Gulutzan will be gone. He wouldn't take the interview if he weren't interested, or if he didn't believe he is about to get cut.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Gulutzan interviewed for the Giants head coach position on Tuesday. (I picked this up from another poster in the Desjardins thread, and thought it worthwhile reposting here.)

http://www.gdrinnan.blogspot.ca

It's hard not to read this as a sign Gulutzan will be gone. He wouldn't take the interview if he weren't interested, or if he didn't believe he is about to get cut.

Guy likely wants to be a HC again; can't say I blame him.

I would love for him to be the Giants HC though. Did very well with the Canucks younger players last year.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Listened to Lidster being interviewed on Global News this morning.

He was, of course, being very careful.

But he did say he would love to work with Willie (very high praise for Desjardin's methods) but that the Canucks were very focussed on the draft and other player moves this week and he did not expect to hear anything until next week.

But he sounded quite confident that he would be working with Willie D. This season. Not breaking news, of course, but this continues to develop as expected.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Whats Nathan Lafayette doing these days?

BOO!

tumblr_ls7u70SHtM1qa54sa.gif

Here's the talk with Lidster on Global for anyone who wants to hear it.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1415515/doug-lidster

Shades of the Linden/Steve Darling interview when Trevor had to essentially lie to his face. :laugh:

Poor Steve Darling.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I wonder if Darling's middle name is Media.

Seemingly, he couldn't break a Canucks story if his life depended on it, and he's had two opportunities to do so. I really feel for the guy in that regard though, but I doubt he bothers trying to break them on air or do the research to know if news is pending. He's just too affable.(Watched Wyatt Earp last night, hence the affable. ;))

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Seems like things are lining up for Lidster and Pearn to be the assistants.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun 1m

#Canucks president Trevor Linden spoke today to Doug Lidster about possibly joining coaching staff. Will talk more next week.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
I could see Lidster.

According to Ben Kuzma in yesterday's province, Gulutzan may go to Texas or the Saskatoon Blades because he wants a Head gig in order to become an NHL Head Coach again.

Also, Travis Green is meeting with the Pens to be reunited with Mike Johnston, so maybe Gulutzan goes to Utica?

Pearn and Lidster, according to Kuzma, want to come here to work with Willie.

As well, guys like Tony Granato who got fired from the Pens and Nolan Baumgartner from Utica could get an assistant role here.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Irfaan Gaffar ‏@sportsnetirf 2m

#Canucks expected to name Doug Lidster as assistant coach tomorrow.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Irfaan Gaffar ‏@sportsnetirf 2m

#Canucks expected to name Doug Lidster as assistant coach tomorrow.

So it looks like:

Willie Desjardins: Head Coach

Doug Lidster: Associate or Assistant Coach

Glen Gulutzan: Currently signed as Assistant Coach but future up in the air.

Darryl Williams: Assistant Coach, Video

Rollie Melanson: Goaltending Coach

Glen Carnegie: Skills Coach

Travis Green: Head Coach, Utica Comets
Paul Jerrard: Associate Coach, Utica Comets
Nolan Baumgartner: Assistant Coach, Utica Comets

*Update*

Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap 7m
Glen Gulutzan believed to be staying on and will be a Willie Desjardins assistant along with Doug Lidster. #Canucks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00