Confirmed with Link: Doug Lidster named to Canucks coaching staff

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Cannot be happier than Doug Lidster, 2 time stanley cup champion, great interview personality that I can see will click well with players (watch his interviews very personable and funny), and built like an ox. I think him and Bieksa will end up as best bud.

sirlaxalot

Jan 9, 2008
I remember him as being pretty good. Perhaps my recollection is faulty. Was it purely because of his offence that he lasted 14 or so years in the NHL?

You're right. Lidster was a pretty good defenseman, on a crappy (for the most part,) team.

bo2shink*

That is Darryl Williams, Video Assistant Coach, not Dave (tiger) Williams. Actually Tiger would be an excellent PR man for the Canucks. Fourth most popular Canuck after Linden, Bure & Kirtenback.

Tiger would be a drunken nightmare as an employee.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
That is Darryl Williams, Video Assistant Coach, not Dave (tiger) Williams. Actually Tiger would be an excellent PR man for the Canucks. Fourth most popular Canuck after Linden, Bure & Kirtenback.

Thanks for the correction. I meant the bald guy that is primarily viewing video/footage for the team.

Love to have Tiger back in the fold, add a little Gino as well.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I remember him as being pretty good. Perhaps my recollection is faulty. Was it purely because of his offence that he lasted 14 or so years in the NHL?

No Lidster was not flashy. He was a really smart guy, who understood the game well enough to be effective at both ends of the ice. His +/- was reflective of a poor team, not him...

If I had to compare him to a current Canuck, it would be Dan Hamhuis.

When he went to NYR, he was not the same player. He was nearing the end of the road, and his role was very different.

I'm not saying he's a good coach at all. I have no knowledge of that; however based simply upon how he played the game, it's not a surprise he's an NHL coach...

If there's a surprise, it's that I would have figured him to not be a hockey guy after retirement (I think he was a college grad when he came to Vancouver, and would have pursued other interests outside of hockey). Also, and it doesn't necessarily matter as everyone coaches differently, but I can't imagine him ever getting upset.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
i was pretty young when lidster was here, but i remember him veing a pylon defensively but our best guy offensively before we got lumme (i think reinhart had just retired when i really started to pay attention. but i might be wrong about this; i did used to get lidster and tom kurvers mixed up sometimes.

I would say that is inaccurate. He was as good defensively as he was on offense for the majority of his Canuck career.

Perhaps if at times he looked that way, it was bc on poor teams he was asked to do too much.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
Ha...this has driven me nuts for quite some time. I'm in the same boat. I have the list for 'Road Trip' but not this one.

Nope, not Kron. He is 2nd from right w/ the machine gun.

Here's who I know (L to R):

Valk, ????, Nedved, Sandlak, Ronning, Momesso, Larionov, Odjick, Bure, Adams, Linden, McLean, Babych, Dirk, Murzyn, Lidster, Courtnall, Gregg, Lumme, Diduck, Walter, Gamble, Kron, Fergus.
main.php

Anyways, back to the thread. So...Dougie Lidster, eh? Right on. :thumbu:

it looks like Frank Caprice, but he was gone by then

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tiger would be a drunken nightmare as an employee.

I did work for Tiger when he was into construction and he was a good guy to work for as long as you worked and did not screw around--I did not even realize I was working for him until he came to inspect the site--this was in the 90's in west van

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Ha...this has driven me nuts for quite some time. I'm in the same boat. I have the list for 'Road Trip' but not this one.

Valk, ????, Nedved, Sandlak, Ronning, Momesso, Larionov, Odjick, Bure, Adams, Linden, McLean, Babych, Dirk, Murzyn, Lidster, Courtnall, Gregg, Lumme, Diduck, Walter, Gamble, Kron, Fergus.
main.php

Pretty sure the ??? is Jim Agnew.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Did Lidster and Benning ever play on the same D-pairing for the Nux? I was worried that TL didn't have a plan, but it seems to all be coming together. :laugh:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

main.php

I have six of those photos in a box at my parents' place. I wonder if they're worth any money.

May 31, 2006
That makes 5 players from the 1988-1989 Canucks team currently working in the organization: Linden, Smyl, Benning, Lidster, and Snepsts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad