Confirmed with Link: Doug Lidster named to Canucks coaching staff

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The whole Tortarella thing is more and more strange as the days goes by. Nothing about it makes sense as we look back at things. Not showing up for game day skates or other practices. Gulutzan being relegated to camp counselor for the kids while Sullivan basically ran the team. etc etc etc. Whatever you think of Gillis' moves that is the complete opposite of what you can imagine him ever doing or wanting from a coaching staff. It reeks of some backroom dealings of having Torts be coach for a year or two, moving his boy wonder Sullivan into the head coach role while Torts moves into mangement. The more I hear the more I'm convinced it was a 100% Aquilini hire. It backfired. At least Aquilini owned up to it. But that is simply still speculation on my part of course and if true I hope Aquilini learned he doesn't know anything about hockey and stays out of things.

Anyways, it would seem as though there is a strong coaching staff right now that all know and respect each other. Having Gulutzan to bring continuity in dealing with the kids will likely be important this season.

Iridescent*

Bring back Ryan Walter. He can serve as acting spiritual adviser.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
The whole Tortarella thing is more and more strange as the days goes by. Nothing about it makes sense as we look back at things. Not showing up for game day skates or other practices. Gulutzan being relegated to camp counselor for the kids while Sullivan basically ran the team. etc etc etc. Whatever you think of Gillis' moves that is the complete opposite of what you can imagine him ever doing or wanting from a coaching staff. It reeks of some backroom dealings of having Torts be coach for a year or two, moving his boy wonder Sullivan into the head coach role while Torts moves into mangement. The more I hear the more I'm convinced it was a 100% Aquilini hire. It backfired. At least Aquilini owned up to it. But that is simply still speculation on my part of course and if true I hope Aquilini learned he doesn't know anything about hockey and stays out of things.

Anyways, it would seem as though there is a strong coaching staff right now that all know and respect each other. Having Gulutzan to bring continuity in dealing with the kids will likely be important this season.

Good point.

And all we have left is speculation because you never get the true inside story of what really happened.

The "professional media" nibbles around the edge of the story...but back off fairly quickly when challenged. Thus we have the uncomfortable spectacle of Aquilini threatening to sue over a reporter's said "speculation" and then watching as pretty much all the professional reporters back away from the story because everyone clams up and there is no proof.

But the info released after Torts was fired is pretty telling.

We're going to have to be satisfied with the fact that he was fired and it cost Aquilini big bucks to get out of those two huge, recently signed contracts.

And as petty as this might be, I see a comparable in Edmonton where it seems they also hired the wrong guy, with a big new contract and are seemingly going to waste another year hoping that their shiny new-age Coach is somehow magically going to make it all workout this year. The Swarming Defence, part deux.

At least Aquilini cut his losses and cleaned house...so, I'll give him that.

And as others have said, hope he learns from the experience.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Sweet. Turned into a fan when Lidster was no longer with the team. Actually, i turned into a fan when he was on the other team, the Rangers. Big Willie D obviously trusts him so that's a good thing. What i'm most happy about is Glen staying on. Nice guys finish last but whatever.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

that is a terrifying possibility but I think you might be looking into it too deeply. Torts let Sully run things because he just wanted to walk his dogs and have a nap.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Choosing Pittsburgh would have been a no win situation for desardins. That team simply does not possess the depth, the size and physicality, or the goaltending to win the cup, yet, because Crosby and Malkin are there, the Pens upper management expects results in the playoffs. By choosing Vancouver Desardins comes to a club with little expectation to win now. He can come into a beautiful Canadian market and work on bringing some good young players along. If Vancouver fails to make the playoffs, or goes out early, I can't see Deardins being a fall guy, but had that happened in Pittsburgh he most likely would have been fired after one season.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
that is a terrifying possibility but I think you might be looking into it too deeply. Torts let Sully run things because he just wanted to walk his dogs and have a nap.

on the other hand how does a coach get away with such things even after being asked to show up more by his "supposed" supervisor? There was some special treatment in this case and I don't think it stemmed from Gillis.

btw I don't fault or blame Torts in anyway about not showing up to a July prospect development camp. As Demko mentioned in his first blog having the head coach of the NHL team present isn't necessarily expected. Though in the Torts case you think you might want to get a read on a new organization much like Willie is doing. I just won't be surprised is Willie is MIA next summer for this camp.

MikeGillisslashAVfan*

loooolll

yeah he owned up to it in some article no one payed attention and was really vague about what he did

when he fired gillis he said it was gillis's hire

aquilini is a coward

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
Good point.

And all we have left is speculation because you never get the true inside story of what really happened.

The "professional media" nibbles around the edge of the story...but back off fairly quickly when challenged. Thus we have the uncomfortable spectacle of Aquilini threatening to sue over a reporter's said "speculation" and then watching as pretty much all the professional reporters back away from the story because everyone clams up and there is no proof.

But the info released after Torts was fired is pretty telling.

We're going to have to be satisfied with the fact that he was fired and it cost Aquilini big bucks to get out of those two huge, recently signed contracts.

And as petty as this might be, I see a comparable in Edmonton where it seems they also hired the wrong guy, with a big new contract and are seemingly going to waste another year hoping that their shiny new-age Coach is somehow magically going to make it all workout this year. The Swarming Defence, part deux.

At least Aquilini cut his losses and cleaned house...so, I'll give him that.

And as others have said, hope he learns from the experience.

What info is that?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Really like the pedigree and look of this coaching staff. Willie has been awesome in all his interviews and videos (obviously needs to translate to results). Three coaches who have developmental experience to help with our young guys.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Whoa, Doug Wimpster? Talk about a blast from the past.

He wasn't brought into be the 'tough guy', he was brought in to score, and he did just that. He was our top paired dman for quite some time because of that. That's like making fun of Ronning for not being tough or Momesso for not contributing enough offense.

Anyways, speaking of Lidster, I got a kick out of this video. See how many former Canucks are still involved with the team.

Edit - Bring back the Skate Logo!!

Iridescent*

Aquilinis already hired Trevor Linden for the 'guy who hands out motivational books to the younger players' role.

Just making a joke about how many ex-canucks are on staff. That and Ryan Walter is a diehard christain. He's an elder at a Peace Portal Alliance.

(not a jab at christains at all for the record)

Ventana*

Anyways, speaking of Lidster, I got a kick out of this video. See how many former Canucks are still involved with the team.

Haha, even Paul Fenton is in this video, Nashville's assistant GM.

Doug Lidster, Jim Benning, Rollie Melanson. Pretty crazy

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
loooolll

yeah he owned up to it in some article no one payed attention and was really vague about what he did

when he fired gillis he said it was gillis's hire

aquilini is a coward

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of Aquilini and while he certainly threw Gillis and torts under the bus he did say he signed off on the hire so he has to take some of the blame, but yes that is certainly side stepping public acknowledgment. However, the end result is the mistake was realized and (hopefully) corrected and that correction was initiated from Aquilini on down (with IMO unnecessary collateral damage).

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
About Torts reusing to show up for game day skates...even after Gillis directed him to do so.

This is proof that Aquillini made Gillis hire Tortorella??? You are reading an awful lot in here. Any way, this is off topic. I hope Lidster and the rest of the coaching staff works out. It's a bit of a wish and a prayer because of the limited NHL coaching track records (none in Lidster's case) but at least none of them carry a 40' container of baggage like MT so I will remain optimistic.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
No wonder Shane Done and Jerome Iginla would not want to play for Vancouver both are christians.Shane is conservative in his views so the hippies in Vancouver would not appreciate his views

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Are you saying Linden is in that video? How if it's 87-88? Linden was drafted in 88.

Poorly framed on my part. Meant him as an addition to the players in the vid(with the organization), and good catch to the poster on spotting Fenton from the vid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad