Dorion letter to season ticket holders

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
And they are last because? The owner. If we had stable ownership and a playoff team, the fans will be there. And it isn't even that far a drive to Kanata lol.

Not defending Melnyk at all. Just saying for many more casual fans he isn't the direct reason they aren't attending games as much. Indirectly he is a reason due to his influence hampering the team's success on the ice. But I suspect many people are going to less games even if they aren't actively boycotting.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Not defending Melnyk at all. Just saying for many more casual fans he isn't the direct reason they aren't attending games as much. Indirectly he is a reason due to his influence hampering the team's success on the ice. But I suspect many people are going to less games even if they aren't actively boycotting.

I think you could the same about a lot of places. Prices are so high now and with it being so comfortable watching the games at home, a lot of people prefer spending the money to go see games live come playoff time because the atmosphere is so much greater.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
You just know that paragraph isn't going to age well. Either because some of those guys get traded or waived before opening day next season, or because some of them have their play deteriorate so much that they are clearly not NHL caliber players any more.

Really foolish for him to name a group of players that are so marginal.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You just know that paragraph isn't going to age well. Either because some of those guys get traded or waived before opening day next season, or because some of them have their play deteriorate so much that they are clearly not NHL caliber players any more.

Really foolish for him to name a group of players that are so marginal.
It's idiotic.

He tried to trade half of them and sent one of them to waivers.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Bettman works for Eugene.

THe only time he'll step in is if Melnyk tries to move the franchise, wants to sell it to interests who will move it, or if he can't make payroll.
Listen to the Burke MacLean radio show or Sid and Tim
They talk about it

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The only people who are still going to games are the ones who don't care about the Sens, not hockey fans or are STH.
I can absolutely back this 110%. I have vowed to never go to a game until melnyk was out but my girlfriend got me tickets for my bday and we went to the oilers game..

Quick takeaways:

* most people there were children and they are excluded from a protest because they’re children.
* the younger people I did see there were talking about hockey around me and couldn’t even say the sens names from their jerseys (granted there has been a lot of changes, but I could name them and I don’t watch the sens).
* The atmosphere was completely nonexistent. I heard maybe one or two go sens go chants. Barely anyone jumping out of their seats around me when sens scored.
* the no ushers is so bad in the 300’s, there was children running around everywhere during play and no parents to be seen.

I told my gf that I’ve been coming to games for nearly 20 years and this was the absolute worst experience I’ve had at a game for the sens. No passion as all the real diehard fans are #melnykout and not wasting their money.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's idiotic.

He tried to trade half of them and sent one of them to waivers.

I never take anything any GM says publicly at face value. They are all used car dealers to some extent, trying to either spin fans or spin fellow GMs. For instance, years ago when the Canucks had to trade Pavel Bure, they got Dave Gagner back in the deal as a blatant contract/salary dump by the Panthers. Out comes Canucks GM Brian Burke to declare that getting Dave Gagner was, "the key to the deal", as he proceeded to pump Gagner's tires. Everyone knew the truth - Gagner was a veteran nearing the end of the line. No one was fooled - Canucks fans referred to Gagner as "The Key" for a while after that.

In this instance, Dorion is just trying to stop the bleeding with the season ticket holders. If half those names are gone by the draft or camp, he'll just switch to pumping up some of the rookies. It's all just an exercise in spin and in pretending to care about the views of the fans. You can safely assume that any NHL GM is lying when his lips are moving...

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
What a joke. At this point, the real leadership in our locker room is a handful of players who are in only their first, second or third years and aren't nearly done developing. Chabot, Tkachuk, White, and a couple guys in Belleville.

I really wish I could just stop caring, but I can see the arena from my bedroom window. I'm reminded every day of what could have been if our owner wasn't a worthless git.

This letter is just damage control, and I hope it fails.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I never take anything any GM says publicly at face value. They are all used car dealers to some extent, trying to either spin fans or spin fellow GMs. For instance, years ago when the Canucks had to trade Pavel Bure, they got Dave Gagner back in the deal as a blatant contract/salary dump by the Panthers. Out comes Canucks GM Brian Burke to declare that getting Dave Gagner was, "the key to the deal", as he proceeded to pump Gagner's tires. Everyone knew the truth - Gagner was a veteran nearing the end of the line. No one was fooled - Canucks fans referred to Gagner as "The Key" for a while after that.

In this instance, Dorion is just trying to stop the bleeding with the season ticket holders. If half those names are gone by the draft or camp, he'll just switch to pumping up some of the rookies. It's all just an exercise in spin and in pretending to care about the views of the fans. You can safely assume that any NHL GM is lying when his lips are moving...
Care about the fans? I don't think many care about Ceci and Boro tbh. In a time where fans need transparency Dorion has been anything but that. Is he spinning it to enrage the fanbase even more? I don't get it.

He's asking for fans to "trust" them yet he has done nothing but as you said, spin and pretend. There's a time and place for it and now and the past year and a half wasn't the time.

Another poster provided an example of what sort of a statement would have been palatable when they traded Stone but instead we got a self pumping arrogant pat my own shoulder kind of statement.

Now people wonder why there is a disconnect.

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
Nice try, but with every piece of press, they show more and more that they're still completely missing the point and the disconnect with the fans.

Nobody disputes your collection of youth as a positive, especially post trade deadline, but the inclusion of guys like England and Harpur as anything but eventual waiver fodder is somewhat concerning and patronizing.

The issue is that nobody believes in them or anything they say whatsoever, but instead of listening, every release and interview is a lecture about how great they're actually doing and we're just out to lunch. Actions are the only things that can be taken at face value from the organization anymore and most actions seem to contradict their RaRa condescending press releases and interviews.

That list of Vets is just downright embarrassing. Why include that? Nobody gives a **** after you sent all the players packing that we actually wanted to keep and kept the ones you couldn't trade. It's only more aggravating to see that list touted as some kind of rebuild guidance. Do yourself a favor and don't bring that list out again.

I was going to put forward my usual p*ssed off rant and then I read this - my p*ssed off rant spoken by another. Bravo my friend, we Melnyk/Dorion haters are on the same page!

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
You know, its funny, there's always a lot of jokes and memes made about "armchair GMs" online. But let's be real. I think that if a random HF poster were put in Pierre's job, there's a 50/50 chance they would know more about what they are supposed to be doing that he does.

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
tenor.gif

@Sens of Anarchy, I'll see your Rhino shit and raise you a dank meme!

HU3TP0z.png

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm sure his kids were thrilled as well hearing their father on the radio talking about dinner out with his girlfriend, etc. I've heard some bad interviews before - that one takes first prize for the worst, most tone deaf interview I have ever heard from a sports executive, and that includes former Ottawa Renegades GM Forrest Gregg who forgot the name of his team's starting QB.
Well Pierre almost got his buddy Boros name right. Usually refers to him as borowicki. Got it half right this time with a “borowitski”

But we have to remember that English is not the poor guys first language. Right?

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I can absolutely back this 110%. I have vowed to never go to a game until melnyk was out but my girlfriend got me tickets for my bday and we went to the oilers game..

Quick takeaways:

* most people there were children and they are excluded from a protest because they’re children.
* the younger people I did see there were talking about hockey around me and couldn’t even say the sens names from their jerseys (granted there has been a lot of changes, but I could name them and I don’t watch the sens).
* The atmosphere was completely nonexistent. I heard maybe one or two go sens go chants. Barely anyone jumping out of their seats around me when sens scored.
* the no ushers is so bad in the 300’s, there was children running around everywhere during play and no parents to be seen.

I told my gf that I’ve been coming to games for nearly 20 years and this was the absolute worst experience I’ve had at a game for the sens. No passion as all the real diehard fans are #melnykout and not wasting their money.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

The game I went too the people were having fun, laughing, being entertained, eating food, having a beer, talking with their friends.

Meanwhile it's 3-0 on the scoreboard for the other team.

I've been to bad games where the crowd is silent because it's just a crap game and the fans are frustrated that the team isn't playing better.

This was silent but happy because they just don't care. It's purely an entertainment activity with no real engagement in the game.

Reactions: Danythegod and Deku

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You know, its funny, there's always a lot of jokes and memes made about "armchair GMs" online. But let's be real. I think that if a random HF poster were put in Pierre's job, there's a 50/50 chance they would know more about what they are supposed to be doing that he does.

It's more just basic business etiquette, and the ability to communicate effectively and read people. Anyone who is a professional in any industry that possesses those skills would instantly be better than Pierre at his job.

Pierre is good at evaluating young talent, and he's a really nice guy. That's it.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Anyone on this thread an actual season ticket holder?

I am really interested to know if anyone has been in contact with the org

I am a season ticket holder. Still no word on when renewals are going to be. I am interested to hear their spin for this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad