OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Was off the donair train for the longest time, then heard good things about Basha Donair (one in Leduc, one in Nisku) and pulled the trigger. Deadly stuff. I like spicy, so they have a signature spicy one called “The Chad.” Amazing. Ended up going back 3 days in a row before the GF gave me an obesity scared straight lecture.

Nisku one is like 5 minutes from the Airport. Must stop when I pick my brother up from the airport (he lives on Vancouver Island and says it’s impossible to find a good donair there).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I realize this post was a year ago but Jimmy's A&A (1401 20th Ave NW) has been the only good donair I've found in Calgary

Came to this thread looking for good Calgary donair spot. Thanks!

So far I have Jimmy’s and My Donair to check out. If anyone else has Calgary options I’m all ears.

Last edited:

Haggard

High and Wide
Aug 15, 2005
Edmonton
Was off the donair train for the longest time, then heard good things about Basha Donair (one in Leduc, one in Nisku) and pulled the trigger. Deadly stuff. I like spicy, so they have a signature spicy one called “The Chad.” Amazing. Ended up going back 3 days in a row before the GF gave me an obesity scared straight lecture.

Nisku one is like 5 minutes from the Airport. Must stop when I pick my brother up from the airport (he lives on Vancouver Island and says it’s impossible to find a good donair there).

Love Bashas. There is one in Edmonton at 2811 116 St also.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The best donairs are clearly in Nova Scotia but it’s nice to see that they are catching on further in the west.
Ive seen a lot lately with Atlantic Canada claiming the donairs as their own (true they invented it but its spread west long ago). Some new chain opened a few months ago and the way they talked was as if donairs were some new exotic food to the west. Ive been having donairs for decades...

It was good but pretty expensive, not anything better then local donair shops to be worth the extra $$. I forget what its called but the inside is all about how they came from Nova Scotia

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Long time Donair fan from Edmonton coming in peace.
Visited King of Donair on whyte last week.
Ordered a regular size Halifax donair.

I found it soggy as sheet and I’m certainly glad I didn’t get a large or jumbo as I’d need a straw to consume it. It also had cooked tomato’s in it. The shop put the tomatoes on top of the meat and “steamed” it on the flat top.

I’ll stick to my Edmonton style donairs indefinitely:
Queen on 156st
Best Donair 149st
Swiss

Reactions: MessierII

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Long time Donair fan from Edmonton coming in peace.
Visited King of Donair on whyte last week.
Ordered a regular size Halifax donair.

I found it soggy as sheet and I’m certainly glad I didn’t get a large or jumbo as I’d need a straw to consume it. It also had cooked tomato’s in it. The shop put the tomatoes on top of the meat and “steamed” it on the flat top.

I’ll stick to my Edmonton style donairs indefinitely:
Queen on 156st
Best Donair 149st
Swiss

King of Donair does not adequately represent Halifax donairs imo. It's like the mcdonalds of donairs.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Came to this thread looking for good Calgary donair spot. Thanks!

So far I have Jimmy’s and My Donair to check out. If anyone else has Calgary options I’m all ears.

I find Jimmys to be over-rated.

I like Shwarma Knight on 14th St.

Reactions: nabob

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I find Jimmys to be over-rated.

I like Shwarma Knight on 14th St.
Jimmy's is super overrated, I 100% agree.

Calgary does a pretty bad job of Donairs, to be honest. At least compared to Edmonton. I'm partial to an actual Donair, sweet sauce needed, and Calgary relies on a garlic blend too much and it's just shawarma.

Big Johns and Blowers Grafton both do an actual donair (Halifax style). Those two are my favourites. There's also a Donair food truck that's downtown during the summer, but it's expensive as shit and maybe the size of a hot dog.

There used to be a place near Sir Winston Churchill High School, in the professional strip mall next to it that had donairs that tasted just like Swiss, but it's gone now.

Calgary sucks.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Halifax, this ain't the doner kabob thread.

The donairs out east aren't fundamentally different but they do approach them differently. I could see someone from Alberta coming back and preferring Edmonton donairs, but I haven't seen it happen yet.
Blowers Grafton (Halifax Street Food) on Whyte Ave. offers the version you speak of. Like you said, not fundamentally different. I honestly love both.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Ive seen a lot lately with Atlantic Canada claiming the donairs as their own (true they invented it but its spread west long ago). Some new chain opened a few months ago and the way they talked was as if donairs were some new exotic food to the west. Ive been having donairs for decades...

It was good but pretty expensive, not anything better then local donair shops to be worth the extra $$. I forget what its called but the inside is all about how they came from Nova Scotia
Ya me too...
Like how long has Simon King been open on 51st?...at least 30 years

And even before that when Charles Smart(sadly no longer around)introduced the Donair to Edmonton way, way back, at least over 40 years ago...

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah I agree it drives me nuts when King of donair came out here there was this huge article in the journal about how they wanted to bring donairs to Edmonton. Excuse me? Donairs have been in Edmonton since the 70’s. We have our own style and I love it.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I agree it drives me nuts when King of donair came out here there was this huge article in the journal about how they wanted to bring donairs to Edmonton. Excuse me? Donairs have been in Edmonton since the 70’s. We have our own style and I love it.
I read an article a while back, and see if I can find it,where it states Halifax invented the donair but Edmonton leads in consumption.....
I think Edmonton perfected it.LOL

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad