OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They’re solid but not as good as they were 10 years ago.
I wonder if it's their fault or if supplies have changed and they no longer get the products they once had.

I was talking to a guy on the weekend that runs some pizza joint and he was talking about how it's damn near impossible to get the quality he was getting 5 years ago.

Reactions: MessierII

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if it's their fault or if supplies have changed and they no longer get the products they once had.

I was talking to a guy on the weekend that runs some pizza joint and he was talking about how it's damn near impossible to get the quality he was getting 5 years ago.

One thing that is affecting a lot of large and small businesses is Trump's 10% tariff. It has increased food costs up to 10% for a lot of places.

A lot of companies are looking for cheaper suppliers now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One thing that is affecting a lot of large and small businesses is Trump's 10% tariff. It has increased food costs up to 10% for a lot of places.

A lot of companies are looking for cheaper suppliers now.
It's been an ongoing issue for years. If it's not fuel, it's the dollar, or beef/pork prices are up do to droughts and lack of feed.

Even the pork my buddy gets for sausage is going to shit. Now with minimum wage going up you think these places are going to trim the meat the way they use to? As it is we've been pre-trimming for quite some time. Might as well just send us a dead pig and trim it ourselves.

Always something. The only thing that stays true is people looking for lower prices which usually results in lessor quality.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
The Donair Zone in Edson is very good! Recommend the donairs and hot wings.
Whitecourt Liberty Donair is very good also!
One of the best donairs I have eaten in my memory was at Queen Donair on whyte Ave in Edmonton.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

That’s interesting I wonder why that is.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The Donair Zone in Edson is very good! Recommend the donairs and hot wings.
Whitecourt Liberty Donair is very good also!
One of the best donairs I have eaten in my memory was at Queen Donair on whyte Ave in Edmonton.
Liberty Donair is the best I’ve had outside of Edmonton. That being said I’ve never been to Halifax.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That’s interesting I wonder why that is.
$$$
Everyone has cut in some way. Standards have been lowered

The only real way to get quality is to do it yourself. But who the heck has time to butcher animals and make their own meats? You can do it, but then you'll probably be charging an arm and a leg for a pizza.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
$$$
Everyone has cut in some way. Standards have been lowered

The only real way to get quality is to do it yourself. But who the heck has time to butcher animals and make their own meats? You can do it, but then you'll probably be charging an arm and a leg for a pizza.
Did it really go up that much between now and say 2009 than it did between 2009 and 1999?

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
since the new ownership at Eddie's Donair is my favorite. Ask for crispy meat. Definitely my number one choice for donair.

Simpleheart

Sep 15, 2009
A little off topic. Well somewhat similar. Any suggestion for good shawarma in the area?
Turquaz Kebab House on northside (north edmonton common, 137 ave next to the Home Depot)
Al Salam pita on southside (34 ave? between 99 st and calgary trail)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I have not had a donair in probably over a year, since I retired from the U of A and had them in SUB and at the vegas location. I love the damn things I'll have to check out the knockout on as that is within reasonable distance of my place.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Homestyle Donair in Mill Woods used to be my go but now it's Maina's Donair in Beaumont. They just moved into a new location here but the donairs are still outstanding.

I'll be in Halifax in a few weeks on vacation so I can't wait to compare. I've never been out East before.

Reactions: Beerfish

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Homestyle Donair in Mill Woods used to be my go but now it's Maina's Donair in Beaumont. They just moved into a new location here but the donairs are still outstanding.

I'll be in Halifax in a few weeks on vacation so I can't wait to compare. I've never been out East before.

Halifax is great. About a year and a half ago I flew to Halifax, rented a car and for two weeks toured NS, PEI and NB. Loved it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->