OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Long long time ago...
Okay. I ask because I remember during the oil boom there was the local reporting that donairs were starting to become popular out west because of all the people on the east coast moving out in droves :laugh: I do know that local places started shipping half frozen, ready to cook donairs out because of the insane demand.

Reactions: booyakasha

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Question, when did donair really start to become popular in Alberta/Edmonton?
Before I was born. I was born in 88. I think late 70’s is when Charles Smart first opened. Maybe throughout the 80’s. Someone older could answer better.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Jimmy's is super overrated, I 100% agree.

Calgary does a pretty bad job of Donairs, to be honest. At least compared to Edmonton. I'm partial to an actual Donair, sweet sauce needed, and Calgary relies on a garlic blend too much and it's just shawarma.

Big Johns and Blowers Grafton both do an actual donair (Halifax style). Those two are my favourites. There's also a Donair food truck that's downtown during the summer, but it's expensive as **** and maybe the size of a hot dog.

There used to be a place near Sir Winston Churchill High School, in the professional strip mall next to it that had donairs that tasted just like Swiss, but it's gone now.

Calgary sucks.
Sweet sauce is definitely needed in a donair. It's no different from a shawarma with that garlic sauce.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Exactly. Two/three places in all of Calgary understand that, and it's genuinely upsetting. I want some donairs!
Your not in Edmonton or Halifax. You can’t just get donairs anywhere. My friends in BC complain about this all the time.

Reactions: Coffey

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I prefer the tzatziki sauce myself and I've been eating them like that for 20+ years...if I can that is. We have a 2l jug of sweet sauce in the fridge here in camp

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
There's Buster's and 6 other places that have "donair" in their name in Red Deer, plus some pizza places that may offer donairs as well. I've tried Buster's and one (maybe 2) in the downtown area. The places I've tried have been good but it's been a while. I'll have to do a donair tour (one a day) when I have the money.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Where abouts in Calgary?

Calgary seems to be a lot more about shawarma than actual donairs.

Not that it’s a bad thing as I love me a good shawarma.
Right?

Calgary doesn't really have a donair scene, it's all about the shawarma.

Scotian Pizza is on 5268 Marlborough Dr NE, Calgary, AB T2A 5L5. It's a hole in a hole of a little strip mall, but holy hell can they make a donair.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Right?

Calgary doesn't really have a donair scene, it's all about the shawarma.

Scotian Pizza is on 5268 Marlborough Dr NE, Calgary, AB T2A 5L5. It's a hole in a hole of a little strip mall, but holy hell can they make a donair.
Ah, not to far from me, might have to check it out.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
Was excited to try the King of Donair, was disappointed. Processed meat was mediocre and no options for toppings was a drag (which I get - they’re the original and the rules were made, but it doesn’t make it the best).

Swiss donair is the most average donair in Edmonton - same meat as you get in the Quality fast food Donairs and tastes similar. Seems to be a high school kid hangout which appeals to the younger crowd.

The best in town always has been the north side Queen Donair. Same family there for 30 years and the recipe hasn’t changed. They were around when Charles Smart was setting the bar for donairs and do things the old way - make their own meat, no processed ingredients, and the house made sauce is tops. The Nisku Queen Donair is run by extended family but the Queen on Whyte isn’t affiliated with the other two I don’t believe.

A lot of other great donair shops in town - Primetime and Top Donair are standouts. High Voltage is outstanding in a non typical way. Edmonton is such a great place to get a donair.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
Ya me too...
Like how long has Simon King been open on 51st?...at least 30 years

And even before that when Charles Smart(sadly no longer around)introduced the Donair to Edmonton way, way back, at least over 40 years ago...

No way - didn’t know Simon King was still kicking, I’ll be going there tomorrow!

Reactions: booyakasha

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
For my money, Roma Pizza & Donair on 40th Ave and 118 Street is the best. Also helps that it’s two minutes from my house haha. Their donair poutine is like crack. I’ve also been told that their burgers and pizza are also really quite good, but I’ve not been bothered to try, since their donairs are awesome. Friendly family owned business, love to talk to their customers.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Long time Donair fan from Edmonton coming in peace.
Visited King of Donair on whyte last week.
Ordered a regular size Halifax donair.

I found it soggy as sheet and I’m certainly glad I didn’t get a large or jumbo as I’d need a straw to consume it. It also had cooked tomato’s in it. The shop put the tomatoes on top of the meat and “steamed” it on the flat top.

I’ll stick to my Edmonton style donairs indefinitely:
Queen on 156st
Best Donair 149st
Swiss

That was actually my experience at the KOD even in Halifax. The meat was good, but it was impossible to eat as the pita was about 1/2 the size it should for the enormous amount of meat they included. And the pita was soggy.

Will still try the KOD that opened in Sherwood Park the first chance I can though as I enjoyed their meat and enjoyed their Donair Egg Rolls.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Before I was born. I was born in 88. I think late 70’s is when Charles Smart first opened. Maybe throughout the 80’s. Someone older could answer better.

Despite the fact I was chirped in this thread for posting an honest comment I just wanna say: You, my friend are correct and a true connoisseur.

I'm older and Donair were around my whole life in Edmo.

This is pure speculation, but I would personally give credit to Canadian Donair proliferation to the Lebanese immigrants. I would further speculate their settlements in Canada correlate well with Donair hotbeds. Facts:
  • The Lebanese civil war raged 1975-1990.
  • Estimated 1M Lebanese fled their home.
  • Canada and Australia were the only western countries to set up special programs to enable Lebanese to more easily emigrate.
  • 59,000 Canadians of Lebanese origin lived in Ontario in 2001, while there were 49,000 in Quebec, 18,000 in Alberta, 7,000 in Nova Scotia, 6,000 in British Columbia and 2,000 in New Brunswick.
  • Canadian cities with ~1% total population Lebanese: Montreal, Halifax, Edmonton, Calgary (Toronto is <0.5%)

Observations:
  • Many of the shops I know in Edmonton North Side back in the day were run by Lebanese
  • Greeks or others had good shops, but didn't call their product "Gyro", but actually stick with Donair (telling me the Greeks, Italians, or Other did not innovate, but followed the Lebanese)
Sources:

Reactions: MessierII

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I had the Donair Pizza at Pink Gorilla on 109st / 70 ave by the Husky (the old Parkallen Pizza) yesterday for lunch. Was really surprised at how good it was.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Best Donair (name of joint)
149 St & Stony Plain Road (Jasper Gates)

My latest goto place.
Not the biggest, but real value pricing.
The guy running the joint does a superb job.
I get a jumbo w/ extra cheese no lettuce and it’s around $10-11

Definitely recommend !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->