OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Best Donair (name of joint)
149 St & Stony Plain Road (Jasper Gates)

My latest goto place.
Not the biggest, but real value pricing.
The guy running the joint does a superb job.
I get a jumbo w/ extra cheese no lettuce and it’s around $10-11

Definitely recommend !!

You need lettuce in donair. Just saying.

I really miss donair in Qatar. I just ordered this 'doner' from a shawarma place and it wasn't good at all. The meat was the right type, but there was no sweet sauce and the bread was Saj. All around bad experience.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I was so excited to have a King of Donair in Sherwood Park, and then I read this thread. But it’s still the best I’ve had. The meat was crispy and tasty, and lots of onions. I must have low standards for donairs...

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I like making my own domain meat and playing around with the ingredients or even smoking it a bit.
Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and a garlic/dill/ sour cream sauce for me.
Just never liked the sweet stuff

Reactions: Moreaupheus

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I was so excited to have a King of Donair in Sherwood Park, and then I read this thread. But it’s still the best I’ve had. The meat was crispy and tasty, and lots of onions. I must have low standards for donairs...

Well I did get around to checking out the KoD in Sherwood Park and it was similar to the Halifax experience. Delicious meat, soggy pita, but a smaller portion than the Halifax joint.

I think the difference that makes them soggy may be that their sauce is a little runnier than the ones at most of the local shops. Definitely think they make a good donair, but the messiest of the lot (and I've yet to find a good donair that isn't messy). Looking forward to trying their donair plate next time I stop in.

All in all though, my favorite in Sherwood Park is still likely Roma, and in Edmonton Simon King.

Reactions: Supermassive

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
While I love me a good doner, I think chicken Nuggets should be the official food of the Oilers. Every game I went to this season I would religiously sneak in 50+ nuggets from Burger King (10 nugs for $3 bucks!!!). I’m known around the section as the Nug guy and share with whoever wants some.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Well I did get around to checking out the KoD in Sherwood Park and it was similar to the Halifax experience. Delicious meat, soggy pita, but a smaller portion than the Halifax joint.

I think the difference that makes them soggy may be that their sauce is a little runnier than the ones at most of the local shops. Definitely think they make a good donair, but the messiest of the lot (and I've yet to find a good donair that isn't messy). Looking forward to trying their donair plate next time I stop in.

All in all though, my favorite in Sherwood Park is still likely Roma, and in Edmonton Simon King.

Exactly! Every Donair I’ve ever had ended up as soup by the time I got to the bottom. I just don’t know any better. I’ll have to try Roma.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Exactly! Every Donair I’ve ever had ended up as soup by the time I got to the bottom. I just don’t know any better. I’ll have to try Roma.

Ask for easy sauce. My donair experiences have been night and day better since doing this. Plus, you get to taste the meat more.

KOD has some of the most flavorful meat in the city

Reactions: Supermassive

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
My donair palette is pretty limited, I live a couple blocks from Stadium Donair so whenever I’ve got a craving I usually head there. Other than that it’s just the 2am post bar stop where it’s amazing no matter the actual quality. Was inspired by this thread to expand my horizons and made the trip to try Queen on 50st/129ave this past weekend. Gotta say I was a little underwhelmed, not that it was bad by any means but nothing exceptional. Didn’t really feel the value was there for what I paid either. If it were local to me I’d probably go there more often, but it definitely wasn’t worth the trip for me.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
My donair palette is pretty limited, I live a couple blocks from Stadium Donair so whenever I’ve got a craving I usually head there. Other than that it’s just the 2am post bar stop where it’s amazing no matter the actual quality. Was inspired by this thread to expand my horizons and made the trip to try Queen on 50st/129ave this past weekend. Gotta say I was a little underwhelmed, not that it was bad by any means but nothing exceptional. Didn’t really feel the value was there for what I paid either. If it were local to me I’d probably go there more often, but it definitely wasn’t worth the trip for me.
Cross the river to capilano and try top donair 50th and 101st or simply on 50th and 90th. Both excellent.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If you're up by the Stadium take a little trip North on 82 Street to 144th Ave. Swiss is on the left....or skip the dishes.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Saskatoon just got their first King of Donair, opened up today... it just hit me... I've got the meat sweats.

Mmmmmm....so damn delicious

Oilers187

Jul 18, 2019
made this account just to post this amazing donair place.

Firezone Pizza & Donair

shit's amazing been slamming them Jumbo's for a minute now and rockin that poutine as a side piece and your good to go.

Grange Centre, 2490 Guardian Rd NW, Edmonton, AB

Last edited:

Oil Town XJ

Dec 17, 2008
Edmonton
made this account just to post this amazing donair place.

Firezone Pizza & Donair

****'s amazing been slamming them Jumbo's for a minute now and rockin that poutine as a side piece and your good to go.

Grange Centre, 2490 Guardian Rd NW, Edmonton, AB
Its pretty good, one of the better ones in the west end, but still not as good as simply donair in st albert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad