WEEI Don Sweeney: No ‘hard and fast rule’ about trading Bruins’ first-rounder

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I actually think the Bruins are a 2nd line winger away from being a Cup contender again. Everything else settles into place with that. Acquiring a cheap 3rd line center at the deadline could help as well but not necessarily.

It just cannot be a rental. Get a long term solution for Krejci's wing if we are burning assets.
Don't need anything get some old vets I say. Jfk long term solution to David k. We have federic probably coming in next year as well . Studnicka might surprise as well. Senyshyn will get spot for winger next year too I'm sure.

Chip off the Rohloff

Jul 4, 2018
I would feel way more comfortable in the B's long-term outlook if they keep that 1st rounder and draft a center with top six potential. Provides a nice backup plan in case JFK, Frederic, or Studnicka do not end up being top six pivots.

The only way I am cool with losing that pick is if you end up getting a younger player like Schenn that you plan on resigning rather than being a pure rental.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Donny would be smarter to get rid of some of the many 4th liners we have and replenish some of the draft picks. Find some desperate GM’s that need depth players.
Who are these 4th liners.

Bruins defense 1-12 best in league and I tried to knock them down

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's why we should just get some old vets and roll the dice . No first round picks or top prospects Donny. Just get Justin Williams and Alex steen and let's go...
Gross. “Roll the dice”

I hate every aspect of that. If they think they’re in a position to win, make a trade that significantly helps your squad. Tampa got better, Toronto got better, Buffalo got better, we’re still Washington’s bitch.

If it takes giving up a prospect and a pick to do so, do it. Sick and tired seeing issues not addressed. They flat out need a second line winger, that’s not an opinion either, that’s a legitimate fact.

Sometimes this organization really irritates me.

I’m banking on our typical deadline shit where we grab more 3rd/4th line “depth” players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimey and Strafer

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Donny would be smarter to get rid of some of the many 4th liners we have and replenish some of the draft picks. Find some desperate GM’s that need depth players.
The opposite approach as the Bruins take on deadline day. I’m cool with this.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Gross. “Roll the dice”

I hate every aspect of that. If they think they’re in a position to win, make a trade that significantly helps your squad. Tampa got better, Toronto got better, Buffalo got better, we’re still Washington’s *****.

If it takes giving up a prospect and a pick to do so, do it. Sick and tired seeing issues not addressed. They flat out need a second line winger, that’s not an opinion either, that’s a legitimate fact.

Sometimes this organization really irritates me.

I’m banking on our typical deadline **** where we grab more 3rd/4th line “depth” players.
I think we have enough without giving up our blue chips. Donny has to also worry about how this team looks 2 yrs out from now . We went for it with the Seguin deal and got knocked out in the first round. We were presidents trophy winners by the way. Just sprinkle a jeff Carter and Justin Williams and that's enough for hopefully winning a lotto ticket of what the Stanley cup is. No need to surrender the next decade of promising young players who might be all stars for years.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think we have enough without giving up our blue chips. Donny has to also worry about how this team looks 2 yrs out from now . We went for it with the Seguin deal and got knocked out in the first round. We were presidents trophy winners by the way. Just sprinkle a jeff Carter and Justin Williams and that's enough for hopefully winning a lotto ticket of what the Stanley cup is. No need to surrender the next decade of promising young players who might be all stars for years.
And there’s no need to waste another year of Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, Krejci and Rask either.

Williams is pushing 40, and Carter doesn’t have much left in the tank.

Two Chevy Cruzes don’t equal a Corvette.

Reactions: Strafer

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
And there’s no need to waste another year of Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, Krejci and Rask either.

Williams is pushing 40, and Carter doesn’t have much left in the tank.

Two Chevy Cruzes don’t equal a Corvette.
Sorry but I don't see Donny trading vak donato or Federic etc . He's not mortgaging the future . Be realistic even if we gave up these super prospects for schenn were gonna knock out leafs caps Tampa and preds for the cup.? I just don't see it and why we shouldn't set teams like the blues for the next 10 yrs. Nothing will hurt more seeing vak playing like brodin and having a plus 23.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Sorry but I don't see Donny trading vak donato or Federic etc . He's not mortgaging the future . Be realistic even if we gave up these super prospects for schenn were gonna knock out leafs caps Tampa and preds for the cup.? I just don't see it and why we shouldn't set teams like the blues for the next 10 yrs. Nothing will hurt more seeing vak playing like brodin and having a plus 23.
So if we can’t knock the Leafs, Preds, Tampa out, what the heck are we playing for? Might as well just mail it in?

I’m not saying move a guy like Vaak, I’m more than OK moving guys like Donato, Heinen, Bjork (but he’s on the shelf yet again), Zboril etc. Pick and choose from those guys, add a Pick here and there and make a move.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This top9 can't match up against the top contenders in the league, when you look at the midd6 vs other teams it looks damm ugly.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's not that simple.

Cameron is the new Harry and as far as I know reports to Papa Jacobs as well as Charlie.

This is the power structure of the Bruins as they list it with the NHL

NHL Records
View attachment 174703

Harry is still listed as the most powerful nonfamily member.

Charlie has pleased the father on how the Hub on Causeway has come together as the area is now going to be a year round destination in the city.

Here is the unknown - Does Harry still have a significant influence on the direction of the team? He DID NOT under Chia but today I have no clue.

The last time I saw Harry was at Clark Booth's memorial service in October in West Roxbury.

You say that like its a bad thing.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
The opposite approach as the Bruins take on deadline day. I’m cool with this.
yep. there won't be room for all the current prospects, so make an assessment of who's going to pan out and ship a couple of the others out for picks. No need for a full culling, but just a little trim

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Making middling deals keeps you a middling playoff team -- good enough to get in, but not good enough to go all the way. Of course the Bs need to worry about the future. But what is the future? There will always be good teams in the conference to worry about. Just folding up because there are currently good teams is a losing strategy. Guess what? A few years from now there will still be good teams in the conference.

Here's what we know: the Bs current aging core is elite and the D is great. Here's what we don't know: a few years from now when the current veteran core is likely declining, there may or may not be skill players within the system to pick up the slack. The organization at the AHL level and below has some very good youngsters in it, but how many of those players have shown they are guaranteed stud top 6 forwards? Letting the current veteran core down and hoping better must come in the future is a strategic blunder of the highest order. The front office has failed this team the past few years. It has done enough to keep the team competitive, but not done enough to push them over the top to where they can legit compete for a Cup. Going the same route for yet another season will be absolutely maddening, because anyone with an IQ above 70 knows how things will turn out.

Sweeney and his minions are like a kid running around on a hot summer day bragging about having a box of popsicles. They are so proud of having so many popsicles, and having more than the other kids. He might enjoy a popsicle or two, but in the end most of them will be melted before he can do anything with them. Player hoarding is a sign of indecision and incompetence. This front office has had more than enough time since they've been in place to address the yearly glaring issues. It's time to finally shit or get off the pot. And I'm not taking about salary and player dumping for inferior has-been talent either.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
sounds like another year happy to make the playoffs. Jeremy Jacobs has held this franchise hostage to mediocrity for a long time.

I think Jacobs has done nothing of the sort over the last decade or so. If anything, he`s allowed his GM`s to spend to the cap and does not seem to interfere. There is a far greater benefit to Jacobs if the team goes deeper as his pockets get heavier, to have a team play 1 round then go bye bye doesn`t do as much for him but as I stated, I have had zero issues with the Jacobs family and how they have run things over the last decade or so.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't blame Sweeney but the Bruins should be buying like they are the red Sox and not the Oakland A's

had strong talks from all reports with the likes of Tavares/Kovalchuk in the summer, can`t say they aren`t trying. I think the Nash move last year was a decent one, if not for the concussion, thought Nash was a nice look with DK, put up what? 6-7 pts in a dozen games or so, shame he was concussed.

We`ve watched this club pursue/trade for the Greg Zanon`s in years past, that`s not what they are doing now. While there have been deals and signings I haven`t loved, I also understand that regardless of how badly a team wants to make a deal, far more goes into things than a simple phone call and it`s done

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
had strong talks from all reports with the likes of Tavares/Kovalchuk in the summer, can`t say they aren`t trying. I think the Nash move last year was a decent one, if not for the concussion, thought Nash was a nice look with DK, put up what? 6-7 pts in a dozen games or so, shame he was concussed.

We`ve watched this club pursue/trade for the Greg Zanon`s in years past, that`s not what they are doing now. While there have been deals and signings I haven`t loved, I also understand that regardless of how badly a team wants to make a deal, far more goes into things than a simple phone call and it`s done

My Oakland A's comparison is bc the Bruins never really go for the HR player at the deadline. Kaberle Jagr and Nash were probably their biggest moves but those players were all in a huge decline, didnt play long in Boston and didnt really pan out. You'll never see the Bruins land a player like Tarasenko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad