WEEI Don Sweeney: No ‘hard and fast rule’ about trading Bruins’ first-rounder

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
What's the difference if we trade our first round pick? The player we would choose in that spot will still be around when we pick in the second.

I think what Sweeney is able to do or unable to do at this years deadline will go a long way in defining him as a GM. The biggest name he's brought in going on 4 years as a GM has been Rick Nash and that was a 3 month acquisition.

Back in 2015 when he first took the Helm as Bruins GM,he was able to trade Looch and Hamilton for picks which cleared up Cap Space, but I feel this was a plan set in place by upper management before hand. The picks in that 2015 draft, could of been and should of been franchise turning but by some peculiar choices that hasn't/didn't happen.

The cap space he created, he slowly took away by some bad FA deals in Belesky and Backes. Players he's dealt who's been successful elsewhere are quite a bit more than he's brought aboard via trades.R.smith, Soderberg, Vatarno, Jones and Hamilton as well as losing a pretty good defensman in the expansion draft in Colin miller.

Sweeney has done an outstanding job in drafting quality Defenseman since he's been GM, Carlo,McAvoy,Lauzon and Vaak that could be a real nice top 4 in the future and there are others like Zboril and Anderson who could make the leap as well. This by far is his greatest contribution to the bruins. One could argue that his masterful signings of Marchand and Pastrnak rank at the top but a lot of that depends on the willingness of the player as well but the argument is there.

The bottom - line, with his inability to bring in the needed help through free agency or the trade route,he has hurt the Bruins chances dramatically since he's been here. There's holes that he hasn't been able to fill going on 4 years, despite building a decent crop of prospects to use as assets, but one big trade could change that all around and Sweeney could quickly be considered one of the tops at his profession, considering how much of an impact it made.

He has 3 plus weeks to make it happen, where if he brought in a player like ( a signed Mark Stone/Panarin/Duchene) who'll add now and tomorrow or even if he makes a huge deal on draft day or the off season that makes the Bruins, legit contenders Sweeeney will greatly enhance his chances of him keeping his employment as the Bruins Gm, but if he enters next year again without any substantial acquisitions, he's more than earned his walking papers.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
The goal is to avoid another Nash ill advised risk.

A player who gets injured a few weeks after the deadline?

There's no way to foresee that at all.

Donny gets rid of spooner, Beleskley, and a at best mid level prospect who currently has ZERO goals in 39 in the A. The only piece worth something was the 1st round pick who opted to stay in school rather than go the Pro route.

Maybe the Bruins didn't win that deal, but I would argue they didn't lose it either.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Well thought out post TCB
I had a long response but deleted it as I was all over the place...I'll write the cliffsnotes version
Window is closed,I don't believe in the "core group"as a whole any more
I'd like to sell starting now
July 1 is more important than the trade deadline
Keep the picks
Adding 1 piece doesn't do it for me
They need multiple pieces
Don't think its worth it to go all in
July 1
July 1
July 1

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Under almost all circumstances, a 1st round pick should not be traded for a rental. Those picks become Pastrnak, DeBrusk, McAvoy and Vaakanainen, all of whom are untouchable at this point.

I could see moving a late 1st for a good under 30 player with at least some term left. Perhaps a Brandon Saad, or someone like that.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Well thought out post TCB
I had a long response but deleted it as I was all over the place...I'll write the cliffsnotes version
Window is closed,I don't believe in the "core group"as a whole any more
I'd like to sell starting now
July 1 is more important than the trade deadline
Keep the picks
Adding 1 piece doesn't do it for me
They need multiple pieces
Don't think its worth it to go all in
July 1
July 1
July 1

Not saying whats the right-way, but there's no-way the Jacobs would allow that to happen during the season $$$$$ To much of a loss at stake.

I think your right when you say there's too many holes to fix but outside of Tampa and the Caps, I feel the Bruins can beat anyone as is, in a best of seven. With one big time acquisition it puts them closer but more than likely not there.(unless its Stone :crossfing )

I would be all for trading a Krug for example, who'll be one year away from being a UFA come draft day to move up in the draft or for offensive help, as you have Vaak and Lauzon on the way and then on July 1 make an impact with a big signing or two. Although what worries me there, is so far that seems to be Sweeney's Achilles heel.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Under almost all circumstances, a 1st round pick should not be traded for a rental. Those picks become Pastrnak, DeBrusk, McAvoy and Vaakanainen, all of whom are untouchable at this point.

I could see moving a late 1st for a good under 30 player with at least some term left. Perhaps a Brandon Saad, or someone like that.

Or Zboril, Senyshyn, Hamill, ETC. It is a pure crap shoot whether a player becomes a regular or not from the first round, later picks even more so. Depends on how close you are to winning, this team is a long way away and has too many holes to fill.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
A player who gets injured a few weeks after the deadline?

There's no way to foresee that at all.

Donny gets rid of spooner, Beleskley, and a at best mid level prospect who currently has ZERO goals in 39 in the A. The only piece worth something was the 1st round pick who opted to stay in school rather than go the Pro route.

Maybe the Bruins didn't win that deal, but I would argue they didn't lose it either.

He had a concussion history and he had a very bad playoff record and his point production was on a decline. Risk!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad