WEEI Don Sweeney: No ‘hard and fast rule’ about trading Bruins’ first-rounder

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
What about signing a free agent in Moore and then sitting him against your biggest rival

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It's not that simple.

Cameron is the new Harry and as far as I know reports to Papa Jacobs as well as Charlie.

This is the power structure of the Bruins as they list it with the NHL

NHL Records
View attachment 174703

Harry is still listed as the most powerful nonfamily member.

Charlie has pleased the father on how the Hub on Causeway has come together as the area is now going to be a year round destination in the city.

Here is the unknown - Does Harry still have a significant influence on the direction of the team? He DID NOT under Chia but today I have no clue.

The last time I saw Harry was at Clark Booth's memorial service in October in West Roxbury.[/QU

Does Harry still have an office at TD Garden?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Gross. “Roll the dice”

I hate every aspect of that. If they think they’re in a position to win, make a trade that significantly helps your squad. Tampa got better, Toronto got better, Buffalo got better, we’re still Washington’s *****.

If it takes giving up a prospect and a pick to do so, do it. Sick and tired seeing issues not addressed. They flat out need a second line winger, that’s not an opinion either, that’s a legitimate fact.

Sometimes this organization really irritates me.

I’m banking on our typical deadline **** where we grab more 3rd/4th line “depth” players.

"where we grab more 3rd/4th line “depth” players" when they get back from injury...

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This has got to be the stalest (and most ridiculous) line of thought on this board.
Yup JJ had shown his commitment to winning the past 40 years. A man of the city of Boston who has the fans best interest at heart. Give my love to your dad JJ when you see him

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Also can we please stop thinking the answer is in Providence or that Dantin Heinen is suddenly going to start scoring? There is no, none, zero help offensively internally. There is not one big, aggressive forward in the system that is ready. These are needs that have to be addressed through trade not hope's and wishes of prospects

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I’m normally pretty unsanguine regarding our chances in any given year but I think if we had one more world class winger to replace Backes on the second line and still had four solid defensemen with Krug gone, and got solid goaltending from our duo, we’d have as decent chance as most.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yup JJ had shown his commitment to winning the past 40 years. A man of the city of Boston who has the fans best interest at heart. Give my love to your dad JJ when you see him

I've always noticed on Boston radio fans call up and critisize Henry and Kraft it's ok but dare to question Jacobs it's a quick call. It's just not allowed

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've always noticed on Boston radio you can call up and critisize Henry and Kraft but dare to question Jacobs it's a quick call. It's just not allowed

Maybe something has changed in recent years, but No one in the history of sports talk has gotten more hate on Boston radio than JJ

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Maybe something has changed in recent years, but No one in the history of sports talk has gotten more hate on Boston radio than JJ
Well deserved hatred, but KrecjiMVP is correct that if you try to criticize JJ on Dale's show it's like insulting God to the pope

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Also can we please stop thinking the answer is in Providence or that Dantin Heinen is suddenly going to start scoring? There is no, none, zero help offensively internally. There is not one big, aggressive forward in the system that is ready. These are needs that have to be addressed through trade not hope's and wishes of prospects

Trent Frederic will be here soon enough

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I think that Sweeney holds on to that first-round pick. The only way in which he would relinquish it would/should be to acquire Mark Stone and sign him to an extension.

Reactions: sarge88 and TCB

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I think that Sweeney holds on to that first-round pick. The only way in which he would relinquish it would/should be to acquire Mark Stone and sign him to an extension.
I think to do what you said Backes would need to be bought out or and I know it is almost impossible traded

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I get your frustration. To say anything about spending these days as an excuse is foolish. We all know about the past.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I actually think the Bruins are a 2nd line winger away from being a Cup contender again. Everything else settles into place with that. Acquiring a cheap 3rd line center at the deadline could help as well but not necessarily.

It just cannot be a rental. Get a long term solution for Krejci's wing if we are burning assets.
Honest question, if both of those pieces are only here for the remainder of the season (or at most +1 season) and that's it, do you still do it?

My answer is absolutely not.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think to do what you said Backes would need to be bought out or and I know it is almost impossible traded

There's teams out they who will need to get to the cap floor, it'll cost though and Backes does have a NMC with an 8 team trade list, which turns into a 15 team in 20-21

More so, I would see the bruins moving a Krug in the off season, if they were able to bring in a player like Stone.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
There's teams out they who will need to get to the cap floor, it'll cost though and Backes does have a NMC with an 8 team trade list, which turns into a 15 team in 20-21

More so, I would see the bruins moving a Krug in the off season, if they were able to bring in a player like Stone.
Buying out backes next year would save us like 300k in the first year. unfortunately his deal is buyout proof until the last year :(

David Backes Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->