WEEI Don Sweeney: No ‘hard and fast rule’ about trading Bruins’ first-rounder

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My Oakland A's comparison is bc the Bruins never really go for the HR player at the deadline. Kaberle Jagr and Nash were probably their biggest moves but those players were all in a huge decline, didnt play long in Boston and didnt really pan out. You'll never see the Bruins land a player like Tarasenko.
one could make the case that those "home run" players rarely translate into a Cup winner

I look at the subtle moves Chia made during the cup year, Kaberle was not the same player he was for years with the Leafs, Kelly and Pevs started a bit of an uproar here as fans were far from pumped up about their additions but look how well they fit in after having some time to acclimate themselves?

You go back into deadline history and I`ll bet you I could, with some time and research (neither of which I have the time to do) I could provide you with the biggest splashes made prior to the deadline and we would see those big splashes didn`t result in being the deciding factor of the Cup winners..

Reactions: Chief Nine

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My Oakland A's comparison is bc the Bruins never really go for the HR player at the deadline. Kaberle Jagr and Nash were probably their biggest moves but those players were all in a huge decline, didnt play long in Boston and didnt really pan out. You'll never see the Bruins land a player like Tarasenko.
I thought Nash was going for it but I’m new to the team and game

Thanks for clearing up my misconceptions

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I would feel way more comfortable in the B's long-term outlook if they keep that 1st rounder and draft a center with top six potential. Provides a nice backup plan in case JFK, Frederic, or Studnicka do not end up being top six pivots.

The only way I am cool with losing that pick is if you end up getting a younger player like Schenn that you plan on resigning rather than being a pure rental.

I wouldn't give it up in a deal for Schenn neither. I like Schenn but he's not an elite difference maker. If I'm going to trade a first again its going to be in a package to bring in that young star or a draft-day deal to move-up.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Should we mortgage the future when you have Tampa caps knights preds jets flames sharks who are on another level compared to us? We are barely gonna knock out the leafs this year . Yes we will so that's our cup. Just get some old horses and that's our goal . Anything more is pure gravy and that's the honest truth my fellow fans .

There you Go:)

"Incoming Justin Williams" 37 Scoring Winger for a (3rd rnd pick in2020) moves to a 2nd if Bruins move past the 2nd round.

"Incoming Brian Boyle" 34 3rd line Center for a (3rd rnd pick in 2019)

"Incoming Niklas Kronwell" 39 LH D-man with Size and Snarl for (future Considerations)

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxon Eric

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I thought Nash was going for it but I’m new to the team and game

Thanks for clearing up my misconceptions

They did need a RW but at that point Rick Nash was a 3rd line player on NY whose trade value was mostly based on name recognition. I didnt hate the move and supported it bc of the need but it wasn't a going for it all move. It was more a move like acquiring an older Jagr in hopes to squeeze the last bit of production out of him. They'll probably do something similar but might as well pay a bit more and get a better player like Bill Guerin who was a 40 goal scorer at the time.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I wouldn't give it up in a deal for Schenn neither. I like Schenn but he's not an elite difference maker. If I'm going to trade a first again its going to be in a package to bring in that young star or a draft-day deal to move-up.
How is a 70 point, young, physical center not an impact player? Are they capable of moving up to get Hughes?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
sounds like another year happy to make the playoffs. Jeremy Jacobs has held this franchise hostage to mediocrity for a long time.
Last time anything changed is when attendance dropped. That is what it will take for any major upgrades or changes again. Full building and concessions getting sold equals success in JJs world

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Last time anything changed is when attendance dropped. That is what it will take for any major upgrades or changes again. Full building and concessions getting sold equals success in JJs world

I this was true why would they retain all that money on Beleskey last year in the Nash trade. That team was more than good enough to make the playoffs without Nash. If it was all about money they would have traded MB to Arizona with some picks attached at full salary.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
What a joke eh.If this guy does not know by now what this team needs he never will.
Not the biggest DS fan but I cut him a lot of slack so far this season.

Ther's still six weeks before the TD. Lots of potential sellers right now, so it is a buyers market at this point. And I have no doubt at all that Donnie has exchanged names and numbers with multiple teams

Those sellers are waiting, hoping the market changes in their favor. But Donny is waiting for the right offer where he won't have to sacrifice part of our future.

Frustrating, because we want something to happen soon. But patience will reap its reward.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Alex Steen by all accounts is the #1 problem in the Blues locker room, has sucked, and still has term at big money. I'm trying to think of a worse pickup but cant
Steen cancer talk is bogus narrative. Blues fans have convinced themselves of this despite all available evidence. He isn’t player he was a few years ago but is still solid middle 6 winger. His cap hit is a but high but he could definitely help a contender when he returns from injury in week or so.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I this was true why would they retain all that money on Beleskey last year in the Nash trade. That team was more than good enough to make the playoffs without Nash. If it was all about money they would have traded MB to Arizona with some picks attached at full salary.
no one thought Beleskey would collapse halfway through that contract, and why would Arizona taken Beleskey at full contract

Reactions: Strafer

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We need one more really good player thats market value is more than what anyone on the team makes. Which might upset chemistry. I am only giving up legit assets for this.

I don't think a mid round pick gets you a better 3C than JFK.

I'm ready to see Cehlarik and Bjork again before some shitty ass veteran.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
no one thought Beleskey would collapse halfway through that contract, and why would Arizona taken Beleskey at full contract
"

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Not the biggest DS fan but I cut him a lot of slack so far this season.

Ther's still six weeks before the TD. Lots of potential sellers right now, so it is a buyers market at this point. And I have no doubt at all that Donnie has exchanged names and numbers with multiple teams

Those sellers are waiting, hoping the market changes in their favor. But Donny is waiting for the right offer where he won't have to sacrifice part of our future.

Frustrating, because we want something to happen soon. But patience will reap its reward.

I hope your right

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
"

they didn't

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
We need one more really good player thats market value is more than what anyone on the team makes. Which might upset chemistry. I am only giving up legit assets for this.

I don't think a mid round pick gets you a better 3C than JFK.

I'm ready to see Cehlarik and Bjork again before some ****ty ass veteran.
Bjork likely won't be happening if the injury issues keep happening, and the ship likely has sailed on Cehlarik being an option

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I this was true why would they retain all that money on Beleskey last year in the Nash trade. That team was more than good enough to make the playoffs without Nash. IF it was all about money they would have traded MB to Arizona with some picks attached at full salary.
there is no IF, AND WHY would Chayka have acquired Beleskey either by retention as the Rangers did or at full contract?

Reactions: Strafer

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Bjork likely won't be happening if the injury issues keep happening, and the ship likely has sailed on Cehlarik being an option
Do you come on here solely to piss on everyone else? Every post has the same message: this can't happen, why would they do something so stupid?, this guy sucks

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad