Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Simmonds has more points than Johansson this year. Not to say I want either of them, but lets not make Johansson out to be some star player.
He is an average NHLer at best.

First of all, I never said he was a star player. I simply said he is better than Simmonds and he is hands down. Simmonds at this point in his career has become a one-zone player.Johansson plays all three and at an above average level when healthy.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
First of all, I never said he was a star player. I simply said he is better than Simmonds and he is hands down. Simmonds at this point in his career has become a one-zone player.Johansson plays all three and at an above average level when healthy.
no he is average when healthy. There is nothing I see from this guy that is worth what they paid for

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
still beating him though and Johansson has 26 points..though again comparing an aging worn out power forward vs an oft injured defensive forward is moot. Neither are providing enough boost

Johansson has 27

Marcus Johansson (b.1990) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Do you not think that Johansson is an upgrade over what we've been rolling out on the wings? Whether he floats up to the 2nd line until Pasta comes back or is on the third with Coyle, I think secondary scoring as well as playing ability have been given a good upgrade with him and Coyle.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Johansson has 27

Marcus Johansson (b.1990) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Do you not think that Johansson is an upgrade over what we've been rolling out on the wings? Whether he floats up to the 2nd line until Pasta comes back or is on the third with Coyle, I think secondary scoring as well as playing ability have been given a good upgrade with him and Coyle.

No I dont. Hope I am wrong, but the only times he was productive was on a stacked Washington team. Is he better than what they had on the third line yes! Is the presuure off the first line for driving offense No!

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Curious who would you compare him too on the current Bruins or anyone-else around the league?
put it this way his game doesnt stand out enough really for any comparison I can think of. Just a mostly defensive guy with good speed, decent hands low offensive IQ

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
No I dont. Hope I am wrong, but the only times he was productive was on a stacked Washington team. Is he better than what they had on the third line yes! Is the presuure off the first line for driving offense No!

Secondary scoring ( especially Krejci line ) has seen a big uptic in production of late. I don't think the 1st line has as much pressure to score as they had to start the season. Krejci is pacing near 70 points; DeBrusk 25ish goals.

The biggest need was to revamp that third line with pros who can play the game. JFK was a mixed bag. Frederic could not produce or help generate scoring chances. Heinen was lost. Backes was more down in his play than up. It was so bad, the third line has been getting less minutes than the fourth line.

I don't think the Bruins need Johnassson or Coyle to be better than they've been. I think if they play their game and do what they normally do, our third line and secondary scoring gets a very nice upgrade.

A lot of this does bank on Heinen's improved play to continue and for Pasta to come back and not be hindered by the thumb. We'll see how all this plays out.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Having a look at the playoff performances for Nyquist, K Hayes, and Johansson, and you will find MJ is a better performer in the playoffs that the other two and yet they cost more. Hayes' return is ridiculous. Rangers are going to be formidable in 2-3 years with all their 1st round picks.

Simmonds is basically Drew Stafford these days as he can't get around the rink to contribute but he still has an ok shot if you leave him alone in the slot. lol

Reactions: Flannelman

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
put it this way his game doesnt stand out enough really for any comparison I can think of. Just a mostly defensive guy with good speed, decent hands low offensive IQ
I don't know what to tell you then, other than your missing the boat on what it takes to win and Johansson is a player who will help the Bruins do just that.

An over payment??
Not to sure about that . A second pick and a late one at that, but he still could develop into a nice pro in three, four years down the road but after the second round its pretty much a crap shoot when your drafting kids at such a young age. and the second pick may never play in the NHL at all.

Since you don't know enough about Johansson to compare him to anyone. who would of you preferred? And if you say Stone or Duchene, you need to go and find your other paddle because Dorion wasn't trading either of those guys to the Bruins without a massive over-payment.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know what to tell you then, other than your missing the boat on what it takes to win and Johansson is a player who will help the Bruins do just that.

An over payment??
Not to sure about that . A second pick and a late one at that, but he still could develop into a nice pro in three, four years down the road but after the second round its pretty much a crap shoot when your drafting kids at such a young age. and the second pick may never play in the NHL at all.

Since you don't know enough about Johansson to compare him to anyone. who would of you preferred? And if you say Stone or Duchene, you need to go and find your other paddle because Dorion wasn't trading either of those guys to the Bruins without a massive over-payment.

I would have done the supposed “massive” over payment for Stone. Those players don’t come along often. As for anyone else I rather they stick to what they have and keep the draft picks. I mean if you are aiming at a round they could have done that without giving up any assets. These guys do not put them over the top. Donnie needs his picks because his pro scouts are horrible at evaluating talent. I mean if Johansson was that good why did they give him up with max retained. It’s cause he is not that good. He needs to stick to drafting at this point

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Secondary scoring ( especially Krejci line ) has seen a big uptic in production of late. I don't think the 1st line has as much pressure to score as they had to start the season. Krejci is pacing near 70 points; DeBrusk 25ish goals.

The biggest need was to revamp that third line with pros who can play the game. JFK was a mixed bag. Frederic could not produce or help generate scoring chances. Heinen was lost. Backes was more down in his play than up. It was so bad, the third line has been getting less minutes than the fourth line.

I don't think the Bruins need Johnassson or Coyle to be better than they've been. I think if they play their game and do what they normally do, our third line and secondary scoring gets a very nice upgrade.

A lot of this does bank on Heinen's improved play to continue and for Pasta to come back and not be hindered by the thumb. We'll see how all this plays out.
You basically proved my point at the end. You are banking on Henien and hope Pasta has no affects from surgery. Those are BIG ifs. You know they will target Pasta’s hand in the playoffs and Henien has started to slow down after the initial high being on the first line.

I hope they continue, but also pretty leery to gloss over the concern.

Reactions: Strafer

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You basically proved my point at the end. You are banking on Henien and hope Pasta has no affects from surgery. Those are BIG ifs. You know they will target Pasta’s hand in the playoffs and Henien has started to slow down after the initial high being on the first line.

I hope they continue, but also pretty leery to gloss over the concern.

We all wanted Stone, but it simply was not realistic. And how would we have dealt with his 9.5 contract next year?

We focused on upgrading secondary scoring and the third line and they did a good job.

Reactions: CDJ

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
We all wanted Stone, but it simply was not realistic. And how would we have dealt with his 9.5 contract next year?

We focused on upgrading secondary scoring and the third line and they did a good job.
They did not upgrade scoring, they just made the third line a non black hole by adding some defensive forwards. So we have two prevent lines 1 great line and a below average second line. Again probably gets by round 1 but that’s about it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know - and they cleared out a ton of picks too. You got to respect them saying **** the future were all in for today.
Let`s ask their fans for the next few years if they respect it? They had 2 options, ship out Bobrovski and Panarin and blow it up or thumb their noses at both and tell em` to settle in cuz they aren`t going anywhere, go all in and push all chips into the middle.

Quite honestly, once this playoff is over (which I may add they aren`t a shoe-in to make), that organization and fan base is going to be in one world of hurt for many years. I`ve never been one who thinks whomever gets the best player wins the trade deadline, IMO, it`s whomever gets the player that is the best fit and helps his team the most. The Jackets have acquired how many players over the last few days? Not easy to introduce all of them and just expect an easy window to the playoffs.

It`s brave of the GM/Prez, but might not have been their wisest approach

Reactions: 00BW and Alicat

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
They did not upgrade scoring, they just made the third line a non black hole by adding some defensive forwards. So we have two prevent lines 1 great line and a below average second line. Again probably gets by round 1 but that’s about it.

How do those two guys added not upgrade scoring? Coyle and MoJo are 7th and 8th in points respectively. Making the third line "a non black hole" is, by definition, upgrading the scoring.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Why does anybody care how much Stone makes vs. Bergeron or Marchand? Those guys signed those deals with their eyes open. You telling me you're okay with your team getting a great deal on players only to use the saved money for nothing? That's good asset management? I'd have signed Stone for that deal.

And let's not forget David Backes got a $6M/5yr deal 3 years ago. Something tells me the Bruins players would be much happier with a top 20 NHL talent making them a Cup contender but costing $9M/year than a guy making $6M/year who should be a healthy scratch.

I really don't care about that I just don't think he is worth anywhere near that money .

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They didn`t upgrade their 3rd line scoring? Please, let`s say the 3rd was/is Frederic/Backes/Nordy/JFK/Cave all combined= 29pts

If, let`s say both Coyle and Johannson end up on the 3rd, you have 55 pts combined, now let`s drop down whomever you think that Butch would drop down, say Heinen for kicks, another 20-21 pts on what is now a 3rd line.

You don`t think the additions of these 2 guys will give Butch far more attractive and productive options for a 3rd line?

These acquisitions make this team stronger and deeper, now, will it be enough? Perhaps not, we`ll see but to say all they did was add two defensive forwards is untrue and wrong. Also incorrect is saying that the B`s have a "below average second line", that line is missing an element of a finisher but they are far from below average

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
How do those two guys added not upgrade scoring? Coyle and MoJo are 7th and 8th in points respectively. Making the third line "a non black hole" is, by definition, upgrading the scoring.

We will see, just not that confident. Coyle maybe. Johansson profited from being on a deep Washington team. Johansson is also a injury risk too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad