Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I think Sweeney would need to move one of the 7 million dollar contracts. He can't lose Krug this year, Krejci and Rask next year and get nothing in return. This year Krejci might need to go in a trade and develop a new second line.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Fair enough, and I think it is valid to some extent. I would just counter by saying that you bury a few chances and make TB chase the game and the hitting starts to go down because they can't take those risks. The Bruins did not make them pay for their aggression. Was it because they got battered early on? Who knows, but they didn't look interested to me against the fairly soft Hurricanes either.

I would add size if possible- as boxing trainer Teddy Atlas said, skills being equal, the big man always beats the smaller man. I am just on the side of the fence here that would prefer smaller and skilled vs larger and less skilled. The dream is a Coyle type that is big, strong, and skilled. THey don't have to be ferocious hitters, or brawlers, but it would be good. They are just not that easy to find. Too many people here just say "size" and leave it at that, as though that is the main answer to the Bruins issues.

Saying size is oversimplifying it for sure. You want guys that are not just big but can also play. What you can't have is what the Bruins have. To many small D and the only forward who is both tough and can play is Coyle . It's not just about hits but the quality as well. Tampa wore down the Bruins D because the puck was always in their end. Every time the Bruins went on offense they got hit hard , puck was sent the other way and the Bruins D was getting abused again. Who on the Bruins is gonna tire out the Tampa D? Even the few guys that tried ended up taking more punishment than they gave. As the games wore on the Bruins were hitting with less courage , meanwhile Tampa was ramping it up. It's not just about size it about nasty too. A guy like Coyle can hold his own but he's not the scariest guy to play against. We need a Tom Wilson type.
There is nobody who scares anyone on the Bruins team , nobody is afraid to take a hit because it doesn't hurt.

The only other teams I have seen like the Bruins are the Habs and the Canes

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Saying size is oversimplifying it for sure. You want guys that are not just big but can also play. What you can't have is what the Bruins have. To many small D and the only forward who is both tough and can play is Coyle . It's not just about hits but the quality as well. Tampa wore down the Bruins D because the puck was always in their end. Every time the Bruins went on offense they got hit hard , puck was sent the other way and the Bruins D was getting abused again. Who on the Bruins is gonna tire out the Tampa D? Even the few guys that tried ended up taking more punishment than they gave. As the games wore on the Bruins were hitting with less courage , meanwhile Tampa was ramping it up. It's not just about size it about nasty too. A guy like Coyle can hold his own but he's not the scariest guy to play against. We need a Tom Wilson type.
There is nobody who scares anyone on the Bruins team , nobody is afraid to take a hit because it doesn't hurt.

The only other teams I have seen like the Bruins are the Habs and the Canes

I respect your point of view on this and I definitely get where you and others are coming from. I agree it would be nice to have a Tom Wilson, but I don't see too many Tom Wilson's in the NHL, which is the problem. The Bruins have tried to address the size issue and we ended up with Backes, Beleskey, the Ritchie's, Jimmy Hayes, Zac Rinaldo, John Moore etc. And then the size fans complained because they weren't the right kind of size guys- i.e. they were slow or too passive, or too unskilled, or took stupid penalties. I'd have rather the team spent Backes, Beleskey, Hayes money on skill, at least there would have been some decent return. If they can find a Tom Wilson, I'm all for it, but where is he and how do the Bruins acquire him?

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I think Sweeney would need to move one of the 7 million dollar contracts. He can't lose Krug this year, Krejci and Rask next year and get nothing in return. This year Krejci might need to go in a trade and develop a new second line.

I don't really understand how moving the 4th best forward (by a mile) on a team with depth issues is going to help them going forward. They have to add at least one, preferably two actual top-6 forwards. Trading Krejci means that they now have to add three.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't really understand how moving the 4th best forward (by a mile) on a team with depth issues is going to help them going forward. They have to add at least one, preferably two actual top-6 forwards. Trading Krejci means that they now have to add three.

Agree, if they aren't looking at tearing the mutha down and rebuilding. Krejci has a year left, he is still a very good NHL player and if the Bruins are looking to contend next year, and I think they definitely are, then you need to add to the scoring depth, not take away from it. T

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
Got to give Don some props, he killed it today. Can't wait till the season starts to see these new bruins. He's definitely the early favorite for GM of the year which would be his second :nod:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Got to give Don some props, he killed it today. Can't wait till the season starts to see these new bruins. He's definitely the early favorite for GM of the year which would be his second :nod:

He's kicking some ass!

Forbort
Reilly
Foligno
Ullmark
Haula
Nosek
Froden
Hall
3rd in deep 2022 draft

Didn't risk $ Ritchie/Kase

Excellent Draft

Re-qualified Wolf, Senyshyn, Booth

Krejci soon.....

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
lol.
Still a lot of question marks and the same ones that were here before today.

Who's the second line center ?
Who's the top left-side defenseman ?
Who's the second line RW ?

Reactions: LSCII

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
lol.

Who's the second line center ? Krejci, my guess is he'll sign for 2 or 3 years at a bargain.

Who's the top left-side defenseman ? Grz at the moment but i'm pretty sure a deal is coming for one. Debrusk has to be going out..

Who's the second line RW ? Smith. He looked good with Krejci and Hall so I see them trying that line again at least to start the season but they have so many new line combination they could try, it'll be interesting to see what Butch comes up with. Can't wait.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Who's the second line center ? Krejci, my guess is he'll sign for 2 or 3 years at a bargain.

Who's the top left-side defenseman ? Grz at the moment but i'm pretty sure a deal is coming for one. Debrusk has to be going out..

Who's the second line RW ? Smith. He looked good with Krejci and Hall so I see them trying that line again at least to start the season but they have so many new line combination they could try, it'll be interesting to see what Butch comes up with. Can't wait.

If the first two your saying comes to fruition he has my vote, but that's a whole lot of what ifs and I can live with Smith, especially with the depth they have.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
lol.

Foligno or Coyle or Haula with Studnicka with the outside chancr

Forbort is top pairing LHD...for now. Perhaps until trade deadline

Craig Smith is 2ndine RW

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad