Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
This is a big deadline for Don. He could go a long way to helping his rep when it comes to trades and pro scouting. I still think our core is win now. Would like to see him take a big swing.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Well it would help if he wasn't so arrogant with his Harvard degree when in reality he is just riding the coattails that Chia left him. We'll see.

On a serious note, I will be disappointed if they don't make a move, but on the other hand, if the asking price is simply too high I'd rather they not. It is better to me to build a team that can be consistently competitive by developing talent than throwing away players and picks in an attempt to grab the brass ring for one playoffs.

Yes. But, Sweeney has had four years. Marchand and Patrice won't be around forever, never mind Z.

He'd better acquire some serious help. Now.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
https://www.tsn.ca/sweeney-bruins-may-be-done-after-coyle-deal-1.1261279

This is where the Backes signing will really bites the team on the butt. Sweeney per plan or instruction will again try to juggle short term with long term vs going all for it

Bruins could absolutely take a good run for Stone or Panarin. Or even Kreider...but likely don't have the money to resign them after the rental period.... plus losing Heinen and other prospects/picks could hurt the team development in the next 3 or 4 years

OR I could be dead wrong, in that Sweeney has already asked what the pricing for Stone and Panarin is and the response was it starts with Debrusk or Carlo or both. Where hanging up the phone is the right move

At the end of the day if Coyle is the only move Sweeney makes (as per link above).... the pitchforks will come out. Especially if the Bruins fail to get past the 2nd round again

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
If sweeny fail again to ad a top winger...i mean a real top winger , not the garbage he bring day after day....he is really a bad gm and it would be time to try to look for someone else ....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If sweeny fail again to ad a top winger...i mean a real top winger , not the garbage he bring day after day....he is really a bad gm and it would be time to try to look for someone else ....

They already added a top 6 wing. His name is Charlie Coyle. To me, them finally signing Stemp means they're standing pat and will not be bringing in any big names today. They'll elevate Coyle to 2nd line and Stemp will be on the third come playoffs.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
They already added a top 6 wing. His name is Charlie Coyle. To me, them finally signing Stemp means they're standing pat and will not be bringing in any big names today. They'll elevate Coyle to 2nd line and Stemp will be on the third come playoffs.

I'd be disappointed that they aren't loading up for Krejci and Bergeron last years of productivity, but not surprised. Not sure how they survive against TB and Wash with the depth they have.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

God help the Bruins if Lee &*^** Stempniak is anywhere near this roster come playoff time.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

What garbage has he brought day after day? They look like a pretty damn good team to me

Reactions: LSCII

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I wonder if fans of other top 5 teams whine and bitch as much as this fan base. The years of Sinden not helping Bourque and Neely have really done a number on us. Everything good gets swept aside and many just focus on the bad.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'd be disappointed that they aren't loading up for Krejci and Bergeron last years of productivity, but not surprised. Not sure how they survive against TB and Wash with the depth they have.

Maybe he surprises me, but his moves for most of his tenure have been more like the Stemp signing than going out and making a big splash.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I wonder if fans of other top 5 teams whine and ***** as much as this fan base. The years of Sinden not helping Bourque and Neely have really done a number on us. Everything good gets swept aside and many just focus on the bad.

It's embarrassing to come in here and see the insane amount of whining that gets posted here every day. Imagine if you were an Ottawa fan coming here just curious to see what Bruins fans are posting. I'd be like "Are you kidding me?????"

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I wonder if fans of other top 5 teams whine and ***** as much as this fan base. The years of Sinden not helping Bourque and Neely have really done a number on us. Everything good gets swept aside and many just focus on the bad.

I don't think it's entitlement to look at this team and see they need another top 6 player to realistically complete better against the playoff teams in their division and conference. I also don't think it's whining if those fans are reading the tea leaves and thinking the front office is likely to stand pat. I think it's more disappointment than a whine, but hey, that's just like my opinion, man...

Reactions: TrashPanda

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't think it's entitlement to look at this team and see they need another top 6 player to realistically complete better against the playoff teams in their division and conference. I also don't think it's whining if those fans are reading the tea leaves and thinking the front office is likely to stand pat. I think it's more disappointment than a whine, but hey, that's just like my opinion, man...

But what's giving people the impression that they're standing pat? They're supposedly in on a lot of players, I'd be shocked and pissed if they don't come away with someone by the end of the day. That's a really pessimistic outlook is what @Gordon Lightfoot is saying

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But what's giving people the impression that they're standing pat? They're supposedly in on a lot of players, I'd be shocked and pissed if they don't come away with someone by the end of the day. That's a really pessimistic outlook is what @Gordon Lightfoot is saying

I think people are looking at the Coyle deal and the Stemp signing and can easily see the team not being able to obtain that top 6 wing they need because the costs will be high and they have backup plan in case. That's all. And honestly, if that does happen, it's going to be a disappointment for a lot of people because this is a very solid team with a couple of obvious holes.

I personally won't be overly upset because even if they were to add a Simmons or a Stone, I still don't think that's enough to get past Tampa. But I'm sure it piss off quite a few folks here.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I look at it as being spoiled. A few people are "pre-whining" that nothing will happen.

If nothing gets done, there's just no way to know what the negotiations look like. For example, there are rumors that NYR wants McAvoy for Kreider. Nobody here knows if that's true. If it is, Sweeney should not pay it.

What if Ottawa wants DeBrusk for an unsigned Stone, but he takes a 2nd and a lesser player from a team out of the division? Then we'll hear the baseless "Sweeney has no balls" and is "left at the altar" nonsense again. It just happened with Zuccarello.

And yes, that is one of the points of this board. We're all obviously serious fans or we wouldn't be here. It just feels like people WANT to be disappointed.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I think people are looking at the Coyle deal and the Stemp signing and can easily see the team not being able to obtain that top 6 wing they need because the costs will be high and they have backup plan in case. That's all. And honestly, if that does happen, it's going to be a disappointment for a lot of people because this is a very solid team with a couple of obvious holes.

I personally won't be overly upset because even if they were to add a Simmons or a Stone, I still don't think that's enough to get past Tampa. But I'm sure it piss off quite a few folks here.

I agree, but every indication we're hearing has them doing something

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I look at it as being spoiled. A few people are "pre-whining" that nothing will happen.

If nothing gets done, there's just no way to know what the negotiations look like. For example, there are rumors that NYR wants McAvoy for Kreider. Nobody here knows if that's true. If it is, Sweeney should not pay it.

What if Ottawa wants DeBrusk for an unsigned Stone, but he takes a 2nd and a lesser player from a team out of the division? Then we'll hear the baseless "Sweeney has no balls" and is "left at the altar" nonsense again. It just happened with Zuccarello.

And yes, that is one of the points of this board. We're all obviously serious fans or we wouldn't be here. It just feels like people WANT to be disappointed.

Some people want to be disappointed. Some. We see them pop up when something bad happens or when they hope something bad is going to happen

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I don't know. You whining about people pre-whining is very much similar, IMO.

As for the trades themselves, I'm with you in that I want no part of a true rental for top prospects and/or young players like JDB. If they're moving that kind of player, I want a player coming back with term, like Coyle has.

For a Stone, Simmons, or Panarin, I'd do nothing but straight picks and lower level prospects since those guys are literally guaranteed to walk after the season.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't know. You whining about people pre-whining is very much similar, IMO.

As for the trades themselves, I'm with you in that I want no part of a true rental for top prospects and/or young players like JDB. If they're moving that kind of player, I want a player coming back with term, like Coyle has.

For a Stone, Simmons, or Panarin, I'd do nothing but straight picks and lower level prospects since those guys are literally guaranteed to walk after the season.

I'm reacting to the negative Nellies around here. If you want to call that whining, I'll leave it as is.

I have a feeling we end up with Simmonds for a 2nd.

And then a smaller signing that no one sees coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad