Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
How does that help their number one issue, that cap?[/Q

I read the other day Bob Murray said he will not be trading no one .That he thinks its unfair to his team when they can contend.We shall see I guess.It ,mentioned he will worry about it at seasons end.Not sure their cap numbers etc but read it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Bruins could figure a way to get Trouba and keep Carlo it would set them up nice next few years moving forward.Carlo, Trouba, Zboril and McAvoy.Deal Carlo in a trade for Trouba and upping cap hit at same time would be bad business and bad asset management now that you see he has tools to get job done..Just my take on it.I would 100% be all for moving Krug.,To me he is way over rated.Yes got 44 pts last year but his weak play in own end probably led to 44 against too/.

Except he finished 33rd out of 124 d-men with at least 1000 minutes in goals against average during 5 on 5 play. On a bad team. And the year before he was 16th (albeit playing easier minutes).

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If Bruins could figure a way to get Trouba and keep Carlo it would set them up nice next few years moving forward.Carlo, Trouba, Zboril and McAvoy.Deal Carlo in a trade for Trouba and upping cap hit at same time would be bad business and bad asset management now that you see he has tools to get job done..Just my take on it.I would 100% be all for moving Krug.,To me he is way over rated.Yes got 44 pts last year but his weak play in own end probably led to 44 against too/.

Krug was on the ice for approximately 96 goals for and 56 goals against in ALL situations last year. That's the best ratio of anyone on the team by a huge margin so you're way off.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Krug was on the ice for approximately 96 goals for and 56 goals against in ALL situations last year. That's the best ratio of anyone on the team by a huge margin so you're way off.

I'm not arguing one way or the other, but that doesn't tell us anything other than he didn't get much penalty kill time AND got the most power play time.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm not arguing one way or the other, but that doesn't tell us anything other than he didn't get much penalty kill time AND got the most power play time.

good point.

His GA per 60 while shorthanded was 1.22, best on the team excluding Matt Irwin who only played 2 mins on the PK before he was gone. Granted Krug only played around 50 mins on the PK, but that's a decent enough sample size when the max was Chara with ~260 mins. His 5 on 5 GA per 60 was 1.93, second best on the team (only behind McQuaid), but his goals for is obviously much higher so his GF ration is 56%, best on the team.

So yeah the notion that his "weak play in own end" costs the team just as many goals against as he helps generate is just totally false.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
good point.

His GA per 60 while shorthanded was 1.22, best on the team excluding Matt Irwin who only played 2 mins on the PK before he was gone. Granted Krug only played around 50 mins on the PK, but that's a decent enough sample size when the max was Chara with ~260 mins. His 5 on 5 GA per 60 was 1.93, second best on the team (only behind McQuaid), but his goals for is obviously much higher so his GF ration is 56%, best on the team.

So yeah the notion that his "weak play in own end" costs the team just as many goals against as he helps generate is just totally false.

That argument is much more robust, thanks!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
good point.

Just make it easy, he was +9.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just make it easy, he was +9.

As a general indicator, plus/minus is OK, but I don't place a ton of stock in it. It's more of a team stat IMO. Good teams will have a lot of plus guys and bad ones a lot of minus guys.

I do think you can use it to look at trends though. If you have a team that is generally bad, and a guy is still a plus player, that's worth noting. Same for the reverse.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As a general indicator, plus/minus is OK, but I don't place a ton of stock in it. It's more of a team stat IMO. Good teams will have a lot of plus guys and bad ones a lot of minus guys.

I do think you can use it to look at trends though. If you have a team that is generally bad, and a guy is still a plus player, that's worth noting. Same for the reverse.

Joe, if Pasta & Lingren gets it done you in.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Joe, if Pasta & Lingren gets it done you in.

For Trouba?

Pass.

Edit: I think Pasta is on the verge of becoming something special. Has tons of skill, but added muscle and has shown a nasty side I didn't think he had. Heard nothing but raves about Lindgren. I'm patient, want to see what these guys can become.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Over the course of a whole season its a pretty good indicator when compared to teammates.

He was 6th on the team last year, behind the top line, Chara and Mr. Lucky.

I think the original point that was questioned was Krug's weak defensive play causing as many goals against as strong offense creating goals for. Plus/minus does not support that contention.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
The plus/minus debate goes in favor of a guy like Carlo. The team right now in minus 5. He leads the league for rookies at plus 6. So its not always just a team stat and he plays against the top competition. To get Trouba and his expected salary we need to move out some salary too. So somehow Spooner and McQuaid would be good for relieving next years cap.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For Trouba?

Pass.

Edit: I think Pasta is on the verge of becoming something special. Has tons of skill, but added muscle and has shown a nasty side I didn't think he had. Heard nothing but raves about Lindgren. I'm patient, want to see what these guys can become.

If you know you are getting the (my) odds on favorite Hobey Baker winner RW Anders Bjork after his historic season you can deal Pasta now and have a right side of

Trouba
McAvoy
Carlo

We are talking the 1973-79 Habs here in talent

Sweeney would still have Z & Krug and OGara & Grzelcyk in Providence- Lauzon & Zboril & Lindgren

They wouldn't even need forwards

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I agree he would fit in GREAT there, but also, it is true they have Laine and Connor at LW and Little and Scheifele at C. So Spooner would be a 3rd liner for them. Now, shoot, that would give them a HELL of a forward corps, so I don't think saying "he doesn't have a long term spot" is entirely accurate, but he would probably get more value from a team that wants him at their #2C. That being said, if the Jets really like him, who knows.

Jets have Scheifele, Little, Perreault as their top9 C's, all of them are u30, both Scheif& Perreault got signed longterm this offseason. Then they have 19y C Roslovic developing in the AHL and seems to be doing nicely there, then there's 21y C Nick Petan who's close to NHL ready, it's very difficult to see Spooner as a longterm C there.

Armia also seems to be ready for breakout year, he's looked awesome defensively and has started to drive the play offensively, he's taking one of the top9 winger spots. So there's maybe #3Lw spot available but why put too much effort on fixing that when they could play Matthias there and keep it as their shutdown line or use it as a spot to develop a prospect as this seems to be development year for them.

Jets easily biggest weakness in the lineup is not having a high end defensive defenseman, someone who can shutdwon games, if Trouba gets traded fixing that should be the goal, if they can do that their core is pretty much set. If not they'll be chasing that who knows how long.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't really get why Winnipeg makes that deal though, aside from the 1st. Spooner just isn't that great, and Zboril is obviously an unknown at this point. I would think a young dman like Trouba would fetch more than that. And sure, the Bruins pick could be a lottery pick, but that's a risk for them. I think I'd want more certain value in return.

Okay, after talking to them and looking at their prospect depth they brought up this deal (that DKH will hate!)

Zboril
Lauzon
1st

for Trouba. I do it simply because I would have moved all three 1sts back in 2015 for Hanifin and Trouba is more developed than him and fits the roster spot easily and immediately.

McAvoy and Carlo remain Bruins. Try to make the 1st the 2018 one and watch the transformation of the Bruins when the top pairing RHD can pass or carry the puck out of the zone with speed (not to mention the PP time of putting him there and Krejci back to the second unit.)

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
i definitely take carlo out that mix, try and go spoons+1st+morrow or cmiller +ferlin(or a depth piece)

the look of
chara-carlo
krug-trouba

would help this team immensely and allow macavoy to marinate properly.

Agreed as long as the minutes fall like this:

Krug - Trouba
Chara - Carlo

The aging vet and the wide-eyed rookie need their minutes minimized to keep them for the final stretch where the last two years Chara was out of gas.

It also puts Trouba and Krug where they should be eating up top minutes and controlling the transition game.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
That's only 1 example

Sorry, I should have explained my comment was tongue in cheek. Sweeney hasn't done anything to fix the D. He's stumbled bass ackwards into a 19 yo kid turning out to be a solid top 4 guy (so far). Sweeney's done nothing to fix the D except get lucky.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Sorry, I should have explained my comment was tongue in cheek. Sweeney hasn't done anything to fix the D. He's stumbled bass ackwards into a 19 yo kid turning out to be a solid top 4 guy (so far). Sweeney's done nothing to fix the D except get lucky.

So he doesn't get credit for drafting Carlo?

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
So he doesn't get credit for drafting Carlo?

Sure he gets credit. But I think he's gotten incredibly lucky to have Carlo make the leap into a top 4 role already. A 2nd rounder 19 yo playing big top 4 minutes just doesn't happen, like hardly ever. The odds that happens is just very small so that's why I say he's been lucky. It might save the season & his job, plus gives him flexibility to perhaps deal other D prospects/picks to bring in a Trouba-like D-man.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Okay, after talking to them and looking at their prospect depth they brought up this deal (that DKH will hate!)

Zboril
Lauzon
1st

for Trouba. I do it simply because I would have moved all three 1sts back in 2015 for Hanifin and Trouba is more developed than him and fits the roster spot easily and immediately.

McAvoy and Carlo remain Bruins. Try to make the 1st the 2018 one and watch the transformation of the Bruins when the top pairing RHD can pass or carry the puck out of the zone with speed (not to mention the PP time of putting him there and Krejci back to the second unit.)

Absolutely no thanks. Lauzon or Zboril isn't the end of the world, but both: hell no.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

Zboril
Lauzon
1st

I think I'd rather do 1F/1D/1st and split up the prospect positions rather than give 2 top D prospects. That being said, if you think Trouba can be your #1 & push comes to shove, I think you do this deal. Chara/Krug/Carlo/Trouba would be a very solid top 4 IMO. And then you'd have McAvoy coming in when Chara is leaving. Still have Lindgren, O'Gara, C. Miller, Morrow. They've stocked the cupboard with prospects the past few years so now's the time to deal prospects & picks to improve your team right now.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Sure he gets credit. But I think he's gotten incredibly lucky to have Carlo make the leap into a top 4 role already. A 2nd rounder 19 yo playing big top 4 minutes just doesn't happen, like hardly ever. The odds that happens is just very small so that's why I say he's been lucky. It might save the season & his job, plus gives him flexibility to perhaps deal other D prospects/picks to bring in a Trouba-like D-man.

Outside of the can't mix, top 5 type draft picks, there's almost always some question of what a draftee will become. Hell, even in the late 1st round there's an element of "will he even make it?"

This is the Nature of the draft. You do your best to assess what players MIGHT be eventual contributors to your team. If their ascent is accelerated it's not "luck," it's good drafting, just as it would be if he made it next year, or the year after.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'm convinced they're delusional regarding Trouba's return. They don't think Fowler + is fair. This mystical LHD version of Trouba won't end up in Winnepeg. I remember Leaf fans saying Ekblad/Barkov for Kessel. Maybe Chevy is given the OK and he sits out a year, does Trouba really retain his astrnomical value that the Winnepeg faithful seems to think he has, yet they're all say they're playing fine without him. So which is it, is he a big piece that's needed or maybe his value isn't that high. :dunno:

I'm very doubtful they are going to get someone like Reilly, Lindholm, Murray, ect for him.

As well, can Trouba even come back to that team? Perreault calls out Trouba in the media, I can't see him very welcome there, so Chevy most likely will move him. I would wager he ends up caving on value before opposing GMs do.

Now, Trouba would improve the Bruins. Trouba with a big subtraction from the current roster doesn't help the Bruins.

Completely agree. If Jets fans think Spooner + Carlo + 1st is not a good return, they're in lalaland. Jets are losing leverage by the day. Trouba sitting for a year is a disaster for everyone, including Winnipeg.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
This Trouba talk is so funny. I mean if you asked people the week before the season if they'd trade Carlo, Spooner and a 1st for Trouba I think most say hell yes. Now, with under 10 games played in the NHL, folks seem barely willing to trade Carlo in the deal, let alone add to it. I'm not saying they are right to all of a sudden rate Carlo's first three weeks so highly, but it does underscore the element of "fandom" that goes into these trade rumors and proposals.

Personally, I definitely move Carlo and Spooner for Trouba. Definitely. But there's no way I add our 1st rounder, which to me could easily be top 8. At this point Spooner isn't worth much to me. I'd take a 2nd rounder from a bad team for him all day long. I think Carlo has been tremendous so far, and I'd hate to give him up, but I think you're getting a guy with much higher upside back right away. Given his salary demands it's certainly no lock he's a better asset than Carlo going forward, but I think he's much better in the near future, and I think the next 2-3 years are a major concern right now.

Wouldn't take a chance in trading Carlo and if you feel giving up or first rounder could be a top 8 then why get Trouba....I don't get it.
Go with youth. . Only way to go now with this team who imo will not make the playoffs this season again
And imo with or without Trouba

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Absolutely no thanks. Lauzon or Zboril isn't the end of the world, but both: hell no.

We're lucky if one of the three in that trade match Trouba's development at this early stage. We're winning the lottery if one of the three can be in the Bruins top pair this year or next.

Walking out with:

Krug - Trouba
Chara - Carlo

With McAvoy still developing and in the prospect pool is a win for the Bruins. If Sweeney hadn't stocked the shelves already I'd agree with you. I'd also rather move a forward prospect over both of them but if Boston can obtain a top pairing defenseman today instead of drafting two prospects to hope one of them can become that one day you make that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad