Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
We're lucky if one of the three in that trade match Trouba's development at this early stage. We're winning the lottery if one of the three can be in the Bruins top pair this year or next.

Walking out with:

Krug - Trouba
Chara - Carlo

With McAvoy still developing and in the prospect pool is a win for the Bruins. If Sweeney hadn't stocked the shelves already I'd agree with you. I'd also rather move a forward prospect over both of them but if Boston can obtain a top pairing defenseman today instead of drafting two prospects to hope one of them can become that one day you make that move.

That's both a very good deal (value-wise) for the Jets and one I'd definitely make.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom, what are the chances Bruins land trouba?

As long as there are discussions taking place, then there is always a chance.

Every negotiation, whether its a hockey trade or you are buying a car, starts with one side asking for more than they know is fair and the other side is offering less than what is fair. (just ask Wally)

So if there are two willing partners and discussions continue, then there is a chance.

In this case, I think both parties are willing and both continue to talk so the chance is real. But I've also seen too many deals fall through to put a percentage on it.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
No way do I give Carlo away. Kid is going to be something special. You can see it in his game. He will be more than just a shutdown defenseman. He jumps up in the play, and he has the speed to get back as well. He at worst will continue to be a number 2, but I can't see him plateauing already.

I like Trouba, would love to get him, but for Carlo or Pasta it's a hard no.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
No way do I give Carlo away. Kid is going to be something special. You can see it in his game. He will be more than just a shutdown defenseman. He jumps up in the play, and he has the speed to get back as well. He at worst will continue to be a number 2, but I can't see him plateauing already.

I like Trouba, would love to get him, but for Carlo or Pasta it's a hard no.

I would have to agree. There are deal breakers in any deal and if the demand is for either of them it has to be NO!
Zboril and two (lottery protected) first round picks in '17/'18 I may think hard about since the cupboards are pretty well stocked. Then they can turn around and try to deal McQ and K. Miller at the trade deadline to get back a few other picks. Next year they can do the same at the TD with another player(s) that they consider expendable.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
You can't deal your first in November when you have the potential to be a horrible team. Getting Trouba makes them a lock playoff team? With a healthy Rask and Krejci yes, but in June it may look like an ugly trade.

Lottery protected? I think that deal works for the Bruins, not so sure for the Jets. But without protection I agree that's waaaaay too risky of a deal.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'd make that deal very quickly.

With no stipulations on the first? With the way Krug and Krejci have looked? With the very real possibility your goalie tears his wonky hamstring that he is on record as saying it's an injury right now that would only heal with a month or two of rest?

Ballsy.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
So how to you do a lottery protected trade of your draft pick .

Assume the Bruins trade their #1 pick, with a "lottery protection".
The B's get Trouba and have him for the year.
But lets say the B's still get in the lottery.
What does Minn get, next years #1 ?
How does that work ?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

How does that work ?

Minnesota?

Am I missing something? Is there a rumor involving a 3-way trade or did you mean WPG?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

How does that work ?

yes that is right the Jets in this case not Minny would get the Bruins first round pick the first time it become NOT lottery protected, so lets say the Bruins miss the playoffs for this year and the next year (hopefully not the case) then the Jets would have to wait for the first year the Bruins make the playoffs and then that would be the year the Jets get the pick. Sometimes teams make agreements as well that if the make say the ECF finals it is a first round pick , otherwise becomes a second rounder, which is what I would like to see happen a conditional pick + Spooner + one of Zboril/C. Miller/Morrow/O'Gara/Grezlcyk for Trouba.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
We're lucky if one of the three in that trade match Trouba's development at this early stage. We're winning the lottery if one of the three can be in the Bruins top pair this year or next.

Walking out with:

Krug - Trouba
Chara - Carlo

With McAvoy still developing and in the prospect pool is a win for the Bruins. If Sweeney hadn't stocked the shelves already I'd agree with you. I'd also rather move a forward prospect over both of them but if Boston can obtain a top pairing defenseman today instead of drafting two prospects to hope one of them can become that one day you make that move.

We agree to disagree. I like Trouba a lot, but he is not a top pairing dman (could be), as I said no problems if it's "Lauzon or Zboril", but both, no thanks. And I'm not trading a 1st round pick without lottery protection, that's for sure.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
With no stipulations on the first? With the way Krug and Krejci have looked? With the very real possibility your goalie tears his wonky hamstring that he is on record as saying it's an injury right now that would only heal with a month or two of rest?

Ballsy.

Yeah I'd been thinking of that 1st rounder all along as lottery protected so good correction on your part. I was assuming it was protected. If not, I still do the deal but I probably remove the prospect. Spooner and a 1st (unprotected)? Sign me up. You could easily pick top 8 in the draft and not end up with a player as good as Jacob Trouba. In fact if I knew the pick was #8, I'd trade it with Spooner for Trouba. But that's it.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I really like the idea of a Chara Carlo pairing next season coming in under 5m combined.

Kid is 19 and has poise. I'd prefer to keep him a Bruin and watch him develop.

At this point I think the need would be a left side dman. Chara won't be around forever. McAvoy is working his game and should be a right side anchor within a few years.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I really like the idea of a Chara Carlo pairing next season coming in under 5m combined.

Kid is 19 and has poise. I'd prefer to keep him a Bruin and watch him develop.

At this point I think the need would be a left side dman. Chara won't be around forever. McAvoy is working his game and should be a right side anchor within a few years.

Agreed keep Carlo and McAvoy. I am ok trading Spooner + O'Gara + lottery protected pick, but that would be my top offer, if they say no then fine just move on.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Minnesota?

Am I missing something? Is there a rumor involving a 3-way trade or did you mean WPG?

Yes WPG, my bad.
I see the explanation below.
That would suck for the team that would receive the pick.
I would only assume they would incorporate additional payment if it became a
lottery pick.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Bruins had 5 first round picks the last two seasons and failed to move any of them for more proven commodities. Now we might have to move a first round pick for a guy when we may be a lottery team.

I get that trades often fall through, but sports is a results based business. If I was trading stocks and some unforeseen economic situation caused me to lose millions or billions of dollars for my clients, I would be out of a job. It's not fair, but that's life. Sweeney had no intention of drafting all 5 picks now he needs to get creative to improve the current roster.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
As long as there are discussions taking place, then there is always a chance.

Every negotiation, whether its a hockey trade or you are buying a car, starts with one side asking for more than they know is fair and the other side is offering less than what is fair. (just ask Wally)

So if there are two willing partners and discussions continue, then there is a chance.

In this case, I think both parties are willing and both continue to talk so the chance is real. But I've also seen too many deals fall through to put a percentage on it.

That they were even talking at all is news to me... And it's encouraging.

I think folks would be very surprised at how good Trouba would be in Boston if a deal is somehow worked out.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Bruins had 5 first round picks the last two seasons and failed to move any of them for more proven commodities. Now we might have to move a first round pick for a guy when we may be a lottery team.

I get that trades often fall through, but sports is a results based business. If I was trading stocks and some unforeseen economic situation caused me to lose millions or billions of dollars for my clients, I would be out of a job. It's not fair, but that's life. Sweeney had no intention of drafting all 5 picks now he needs to get creative to improve the current roster.

Agreed. That's why I move Zboril, Lauzon and a conditional 1st now for Trouba, just like how I would have moved three firsts for Hanifin earlier. Hell, Trouba is more proven than Hanifin was/is.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That's both a very good deal (value-wise) for the Jets and one I'd definitely make.

That they were even talking at all is news to me... And it's encouraging.

I think folks would be very surprised at how good Trouba would be in Boston if a deal is somehow worked out.

Agreed. Lots to prove, lots of ice time and top minutes to consume, GF goes to a Boston medical school, Dad can come see him play often.

As an aside, I was thinking about a solution for everyone to be happy and came up with this:
Another outside thought that could force a move:

1. Trouba tells a team that he will sign for peanuts (3.0 million / year for two years) on a bridge contract if they trade for him.
2. Suddenly the value of Trouba at 2 years and 3.0 million a year raises the value of Trouba and forces a team to add more to the trade satisfying the Jets demands.
3. Chevy now has upped the value of his player, Trouba gets out ASAP to the team he wants to go to and the team gets Trouba on an amazing bridge contract at the inflated cost Chevy was asking for.
4. Chevy saves face and gets high value for his RFA, bar is set around the league for RFA holdouts, bridge contracts maintained and the player chose where he wanted to go to sacrificing money for personal lifestyle decisions.

In this case, the Bruins pay the higher price as posted above but get Trouba on a bridge contract on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad