Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Agreed. That's why I move Zboril, Lauzon and a conditional 1st now for Trouba, just like how I would have moved three firsts for Hanifin earlier. Hell, Trouba is more proven than Hanifin was/is.

I don't think that gets it done. Winnipeg is on the edge of being a playoff team with some good young prospects. They will want more proven commodities for Trouba (Carlo, Pastrnak, etc). If Vatrano was healthy and showed what he could do, it would make losing Pastrnak or Vatrano in a deal for a defencemen much easier.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
I really don't get what the board is presenting as trade material.. Why are we trading anyone under 25 years old?? Even with Trouba we still struggle to make the playoffs. This team isn't close to being a winner, the only hope we have to win soon is to see the next wave of young players develop and get better.

We should be talking about trading Krejci, Beleskey, Hayes, Krug, Mcquaid, Miller, Rask, Nash, the only guys under 25 i would move are Spooner, Morrow, Miller, Subban

The untouchables on this team should be Zboril, Carlo, McAvoy, Lauzon, Sherman, O'Gara, Lindgren, Pastrnak, Senyshyn, Debrusk, Donato, Fitzgerald, Karlsson, Frederic, Gabrielle, Bjork, Heinen, Vatrano, Czarnik, Vladar

Guys Like Bergeron, Marchand, Backes, Chara, Liles stay for their leadership.. teaching the younger guys how to lead, play together, play for eachother...

Trading a Zboril Debrusk and 1st for Trouba makes no sense.. your giving away the future when that's who you should be counting on.. Trade Krejci Morrow for Trouba.. that makes more sense. Or better yet Trade Rask for Trouba and Hellebuyck

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I really don't get what the board is presenting as trade material.. Why are we trading anyone under 25 years old?? Even with Trouba we still struggle to make the playoffs. This team isn't close to being a winner, the only hope we have to win soon is to see the next wave of young players develop and get better.

We should be talking about trading Krejci, Beleskey, Hayes, Krug, Mcquaid, Miller, Rask, Nash, the only guys under 25 i would move are Spooner, Morrow, Miller, Subban

The untouchables on this team should be Zboril, Carlo, McAvoy, Lauzon, Sherman, O'Gara, Lindgren, Pastrnak, Senyshyn, Debrusk, Donato, Fitzgerald, Karlsson, Frederic, Gabrielle, Bjork, Heinen, Vatrano, Czarnik, Vladar

Guys Like Bergeron, Marchand, Backes, Chara, Liles stay for their leadership.. teaching the younger guys how to lead, play together, play for eachother...

Trading a Zboril Debrusk and 1st for Trouba makes no sense.. your giving away the future when that's who you should be counting on.. Trade Krejci Morrow for Trouba.. that makes more sense.

I get your point, but in no world are the bolded "untouchable."

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
I get your point, but in no world are the bolded "untouchable."

You really don't know how kids develop.. you can't say who will make an impact and who won't... For example you listed Sherman. Sherman to me is a top 4 Dman.. He is better than Lauzon, Grezlyck, Lindgren and O'Gara on the left side... I think right now he is untouchable.. Where will you get a 6 foot 7 Dman who skates like he does?

As for the others, you mentioned 4 centers in your Bold list (Donato, Frederic, Karlsson, Fitzgerald)... who will play center for this team once Krejci 32, Bergeron 31, Backes 32 are gone?? We have no centers to count on other than these 4 coming up.. so we need to keep all these guys and see who develops.. I am hoping 2 can emerge and be Top 6 forwards. That's why you keep all of them.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You really don't know how kids develop.. you can't say who will make an impact and who won't... For example you listed Sherman. Sherman to me is a top 4 Dman.. He is better than Lauzon, Grezlyck, Lindgren and O'Gara on the left side... I think right now he is untouchable.. Where will you get a 6 foot 7 Dman who skates like he does?

As for the others, you mentioned 4 centers in your Bold list (Donato, Frederic, Karlsson, Fitzgerald)... who will play center for this team once Krejci 32, Bergeron 31, Backes 32 are gone?? We have no centers to count on other than these 4 coming up.. so we need to keep all these guys and see who develops.. I am hoping 2 can emerge and be Top 6 forwards. That's why you keep all of them.

These long and extensive "untouchable" lists are inherently ridiculous because they are generally comprised of all of your players who have value. Everyone gets the "trading developing players isn't a good idea" ideology. Craig MacTavish repeated this numerous times while he was overseeing the Oilers as basement dwellers. The fact, however, is there aren't too many deals nowadays that don't come included with very good prospects. The ones that don't are deals like: PK Subban for Shea Weber (nothing like that is about to happen with the Bruins) or other borderline minor league deals.

You take a risk every single trade you make and I feel like, probably because we have seemingly "lost" so many recent trades, there is an idea you can "win" a trade immediately by shedding some fat and C-level prospects for a really good player. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. There are 29 other GM's in this league with the responsibility of knowing what they're doing and helping their teams.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm willing to put it out there that I think we are looking a gift horse in the mouth saying we wouldn't include Carlo in a deal for Trouba. Obviously the other pieces that would need to be added are particularly relevant, but this narrative that Carlo can't be moved in the deal is gaining steam here and I think it's wrong. I think we are overrating 8 games. Don't get me wrong I think he's been terrific, but I can't help but think we will look back in a year or two, or even sooner, and chuckle about this.

I offer Carlo and Spooner and see if that gets it done.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Trading a Zboril Debrusk and 1st for Trouba makes no sense.. your giving away the future when that's who you should be counting on.. Trade Krejci Morrow for Trouba.. that makes more sense. Or better yet Trade Rask for Trouba and Hellebuyck

Honestly, didn't even see this but it feeds right in to my previous point. You're asking for the best defenseman on the market and giving back a veteran (who has performed very well in the past), but has injury concerns and is on a very large contract. And a B-level (at best) prospect. There's no way Winnipeg would ever take that deal. Not only does it not satisfy their need to get someone back who could potentially be as good as Trouba (I'm no Trouba fanboy, but he is better than Morrow. Period. And if you don't think so, something tells me you're not watching), but it gives them a huge contract for a veteran center which they aren't looking for.

"Of course you do this". Yeah...well there's plenty of reason for Winnipeg not to, so it doesn't really matter that it would work oh so well for the Bruins.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I'm willing to put it out there that I think we are looking a gift horse in the mouth saying we wouldn't include Carlo in a deal for Trouba. Obviously the other pieces that would need to be added are particularly relevant, but this narrative that Carlo can't be moved in the deal is gaining steam here and I think it's wrong. I think we are overrating 8 games. Don't get me wrong I think he's been terrific, but I can't help but think we will look back in a year or two, or even sooner, and chuckle about this.

Trouba is better now and has a much higher upside than Carlo and I am a huge Carlo fan. I try and get the deal done without Carlo, because the Bruins need to add to the blue-line without subtracting good parts. However, if the deal for Trouba needs to include Carlo, I begrudgingly do it.

Everyone, ask yourself one question. When was the last time the Bruins got the best player in a deal?

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
Honestly, didn't even see this but it feeds right in to my previous point. You're asking for the best defenseman on the market and giving back a veteran (who has performed very well in the past), but has injury concerns and is on a very large contract. And a B-level (at best) prospect. There's no way Winnipeg would ever take that deal. Not only does it not satisfy their need to get someone back who could potentially be as good as Trouba (I'm no Trouba fanboy, but he is better than Morrow. Period. And if you don't think so, something tells me you're not watching), but it gives them a huge contract for a veteran center which they aren't looking for.

"Of course you do this". Yeah...well there's plenty of reason for Winnipeg not to, so it doesn't really matter that it would work oh so well for the Bruins.

That's my offer take it or leave it... why give up more, i'm not gonna win with Trouba anyway...why so Boston can maybe make the playoffs and Sweeney and Neely don't lose their jobs.. no way... no more of Political trades to keep jobs.. lets build for the future.. Carlo McAvoy is a good start on the Right side.. don't need to give up a 1st, a top Left Winger and a number 4 Defenceman for a Trouba.. Hey Chevy, I got Krejci and Morrow, you want it?? No... Okay no problem.. What about Rask and kick in Hellebuyck with Trouba... No?? okay...Bye...

When we traded Hamilton we got 1 Number 1 and 2 number 2's... Now you wanna give 3 number 1's for Trouba?? Are you nuts??? No way i send a 1st, Zboril and Debrusk...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

These trades make only sense for 1 team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I know lucky Winnipeg, getting a top notch goalie, they may finally make the playoffs with a Rask.. we still have to wait 4 years for our young guys to develop.. you are right..

It's a development year for them, and Rask doesn't fix their biggest problem, the real reason why they arent a playoff team today and won't be a contender untill it's fixed.

If you trade your biggest trade asset might as well try to address a need on the roster.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

How does Mike Milbury look for trading Chara?

Carlo is better than Z was on the Island and a hell of a lot younger and skates better.

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen we are going to laugh in 2 years when our 19 year old D man who plays against top lines and is stronger and better and has added some offense had fans who wanted him traded despite the great start.

You won't want this post getting bumped in 2 years.;)

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
How does Mike Milbury look for trading Chara?

Carlo is better than Z was on the Island and a hell of a lot younger and skates better.

This is one of the worst posts I have ever seen we are going to laugh in 2 years when our 19 year old D man who plays against top lines and is stronger and better and has added some offense had fans who wanted him traded despite the great start.

You won't want this post getting bumped in 2 years.;)

Being willing to trade Carlo to get Trouba is "wanting to trade him"?

And you're comparing Carlo, a kid all supposed experts had pegged as a potential top 4, responsible defender, favorably to Zdeno Chara because he skates better than him at age 19? Everyone skates better than Zdeno Chara.

You know it is possible to really like a player a lot, like Carlo, and still feel a guy like Trouba is a better bet. And I absolutely do. None of us know, but that's my bet.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Trouba is better now and has a much higher upside than Carlo and I am a huge Carlo fan. I try and get the deal done without Carlo, because the Bruins need to add to the blue-line without subtracting good parts. However, if the deal for Trouba needs to include Carlo, I begrudgingly do it.

Everyone, ask yourself one question. When was the last time the Bruins got the best player in a deal?

Neely for Pederson:laugh:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Hes starting in net tonight.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
That's my offer take it or leave it... why give up more, i'm not gonna win with Trouba anyway...why so Boston can maybe make the playoffs and Sweeney and Neely don't lose their jobs.. no way... no more of Political trades to keep jobs.. lets build for the future.. Carlo McAvoy is a good start on the Right side.. don't need to give up a 1st, a top Left Winger and a number 4 Defenceman for a Trouba.. Hey Chevy, I got Krejci and Morrow, you want it?? No... Okay no problem.. What about Rask and kick in Hellebuyck with Trouba... No?? okay...Bye...

When we traded Hamilton we got 1 Number 1 and 2 number 2's... Now you wanna give 3 number 1's for Trouba?? Are you nuts??? No way i send a 1st, Zboril and Debrusk...

Oh, I'm with you. I'm not sold on Trouba as being the stud Dman he is building a reputation for by not even playing a game. What he is is the best defenseman on the trade market. Therefore, he's getting a ton of attention and thus being totally overrated. While he was a lot older, it's exactly what happened with Tomas Kaberle. All the sudden he gets here, is a good offensive and horrible defenseman, and you would have thought that was never the reality in the first place given how much people had hyped him up.

The fact is, however, that your offer is completely unrealistic. In nearly 100% of trades, you are taking a risk of losing the trade and that's why we would have to include Grade-A prospects for Trouba. He has already shown enough, consistently, at the NHL level to demand that back in a trade (unless Winnipeg gets desperate and is not receiving much at all in the way of offers, which I find hard to believe given JT is a Dman).

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston

Nathan Horton

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Carlo :sarcasm:

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
It's a development year for them, and Rask doesn't fix their biggest problem, the real reason why they arent a playoff team today and won't be a contender untill it's fixed.

If you trade your biggest trade asset might as well try to address a need on the roster.

You don't think goaltending is their biggest issue? Hutchinson Hellebuyck Pavelec??? Hellebuyck is promising but still very young...but that is certainly their biggest issue...

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

To argue that same point from the other side I'll take the top line defenseman who is ready to take on that role 10/10 over three guys who may or may not even play in the NHL let alone fill those shoes. I also see zero top 6 potential centers in the four you listed. An outside shot 2 make the NHL and one could be a third/second line center if the Bruins get extremely lucky.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Neely for Pederson:laugh:

We were spoiled when it came to good trades for a while there. Payback is a ****** I guess...

Horton, Campbell for Wideman and Bitz

Tomas Kaberle trade.

Dennis Seidenberg trade

Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton for Phil Kessel

Rich Peverley for Stuart and Wheeler (It took Wheeler a while to reach the level he is at now while Peverley was a key peice in our cup run and subsequent finals run a couple years later)

Johnny Boychuk for Matt Hendricks (Steal of the Century here, I wish Sweeney would get his act together and use all this scouting expertise he has to find some decent NHLers that are buried on another team's roster like Chiarelli did on this one).

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

See I disagree with you here and the last two years I also firmly believe that if a top line RHD was added in either season the Bruins are in the playoffs.

I also believe:

Krug - Trouba
Chara - Carlo

Is a playoff-worthy top four provided Rask is healthy. You move some of the overflowing stocked cupboard like you could have in the past to bring in the one guy you need to secure the present and the future.

I am certainly not passing on a Trouba because I think McAvoy will one day take that job. Let him try and reap the benefits of having a right side of Trouba, McAvoy and Carlo.

Do any of you remember how many pre-season lineups we had made up with Lashoff as the top pairing or second pairing PMD? How many had Caron riding with Bergeron and Marchand? How about Knight on the third line wing? Subban as the backup how many years ago? Everyone already penciling in Vatrano as the top six winger with Bergeron or Krejci despite his 11 points in 39 games last year and drying up at the end of the season?

I am buying into the rebuild and patience but in the same sense you don't just write off this year and pass on a Trouba because you think three years from now McAvoy will be the Trouba.

If the Bruins prospect pool is so overflowing with talent and bursting at the seams already why are we the only ones to say so and call them the best prospect pool in the NHL?

Assess the talent. Pick out the ones that can make it and move the others for already established talent that can help the team today.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I know lucky Winnipeg, getting a top notch goalie, they may finally make the playoffs with a Rask.. we still have to wait 4 years for our young guys to develop.. you are right..

Winnipeg is not looking for a goalie on a big contract.

You seem to think that Don Sweeney somehow has control over the desires of another team. Winnipeg is neither looking to add an aging center on a long-term contract or a goaltender on a big contract. They are going to lose their most valuable defensive asset and they are looking to get something back that is a. cheap and b. has lots of potential. I.e. a defensive grade A prospect.

And isn't it already incredibly obvious we're screwed without Rask? Forget Winnipeg, the trade doesn't make sense for us. You don't win anything ever in the NHL without a reliable goaltender and we don't have anyone at either the NHL or AHL level looking particularly positive.

You seem to be very "NHL 08" with your trade ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad