Management Don Sweeney III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
This Trouba talk is so funny. I mean if you asked people the week before the season if they'd trade Carlo, Spooner and a 1st for Trouba I think most say hell yes. Now, with under 10 games played in the NHL, folks seem barely willing to trade Carlo in the deal, let alone add to it. I'm not saying they are right to all of a sudden rate Carlo's first three weeks so highly, but it does underscore the element of "fandom" that goes into these trade rumors and proposals.

Personally, I definitely move Carlo and Spooner for Trouba. Definitely. But there's no way I add our 1st rounder, which to me could easily be top 8. At this point Spooner isn't worth much to me. I'd take a 2nd rounder from a bad team for him all day long. I think Carlo has been tremendous so far, and I'd hate to give him up, but I think you're getting a guy with much higher upside back right away. Given his salary demands it's certainly no lock he's a better asset than Carlo going forward, but I think he's much better in the near future, and I think the next 2-3 years are a major concern right now.
I think you are devaluing Spooner a bit here. I don't think Spooner will have much of a future here in Boston, but there will be plenty of teams willing to add a 50pt C/LW that makes less than $1M even if it's for this season.

On Carlo, the Bruins only get a little better if they include him in a deal for Trouba. Sure Trouba has more potential, but if you factor in their respective contracts, age, and what the lineup will look like if Carlo is dealt for Trouba, I don't think there is much of a net gain for the Bruins.

I do think people are overreacting if they think Carlo is the next Bourque or #1D, but to me he is a top 4D as he is showing that right now at his age.

Let me ask you this, which top 4 is better:
Chara - Trouba
Krug - McQuaid/K. Miller/Morrow/O'Gara

or

Chara - Trouba/Carlo
Krug - Carlo/Trouba

If it was up to me the latter looks a lot better as the former has fringe #4s/bottom-pairing defensemen playing in your top 4.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Winnipeg fans not impressed by Carlo Spooner and first round pick rumor

Trading Carlo would be a stupid move. Of course playing with Chara is nice thing, but if you are not skilled doesn't matter: McQuaid, K.Miller, C.Miller, Trotman...

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I think you are devaluing Spooner a bit here. I don't think Spooner will have much of a future here in Boston, but there will be plenty of teams willing to add a 50pt C/LW that makes less than $1M even if it's for this season.

On Carlo, the Bruins only get a little better if they include him in a deal for Trouba. Sure Trouba has more potential, but if you factor in their respective contracts, age, and what the lineup will look like if Carlo is dealt for Trouba, I don't think there is much of a net gain for the Bruins.

I do think people are overreacting if they think Carlo is the next Bourque or #1D, but to me he is a top 4D as he is showing that right now at his age.

Chara - Trouba

or

Chara - Trouba/Carlo
Krug - Carlo/Trouba

If it was up to me the latter looks a lot better as the former has fringe #4s/bottom-pairing defensemen playing in your top 4.

i definitely take carlo out that mix, try and go spoons+1st+morrow or cmiller +ferlin(or a depth piece)

the look of
chara-carlo
krug-trouba

would help this team immensely and allow macavoy to marinate properly.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Chara - Trouba

or

Chara - Trouba/Carlo
Krug - Carlo/Trouba

Here's the thing...I don't think Boston would ever LOOK to trade Carlo. It's not a counter to my point to say you'd rather get Trouba and keep Carlo. Obviously we all would.

But we need to look at this from the other side. Winnipeg isn't going to deal a 22 year old, potential top-pair dman without getting real value back. If you think they'd swap Zboril, or someone like him, in for Carlo, then hell yeah I'd rather that. I'd much rather see a D with both Carlo and Trouba then lose one. But I'm assuming Winnipeg, for the sake of this rumor, is at least insisting Carlo. And I think if Carlo is the centerpiece of a deal for Trouba, the Bruins are getting the best player in the trade. It just comes down to what his contract demands are, and whether you can avoid giving up a potential lottery 1st rounder.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
LOL I got yelled at by a bunch of Jets fans for pointing that out.

They expect a Kings Ransom. Like I said if they go on a losing streak and a few deemen get hurt then the pressure starts to erode Chevy's coolness. Right now they are out of the playoffs and below .500. Minny, Vancouver and Edmonton are doing way better this year and the Jets are ahead of teams I expect to get better. LA, Nashville, Dallas, Anaheim are close and the pressure will be on those teams to get up there. The west is not easy and a few bad weeks can put the heat on Chevy and the fans. No way again do I let Carlo go for the Trouba package. I would give up Colin Miller/McQuaid/Spooner and a prospect now. A few weeks from now if they slip in the standings the price drops. If its Carlo they want then seeya Chevy to the Levy and the Jets are dry.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
O'Gara is an interesting one. Left shot and big like Winnipeg seems to like. Ready to contribute and some potential. Havent thought about that one.

Thats about what i'd offer as well. Im sure thats not what they want though in which case we should just move on.

Agreed if they want more than that then they can just hang onto Trouba and either lose him for nothing or settle for much less near the deadline as teams will know Chevy is backed into a corner. When a player is known to want out his trade value drops. This is why I included O'Gara in my proposal instead on Carlo, he is big also and has potential to play right now and I only added the first round pick as conditional if we make the ECF, I would hate to lose a top pick if it is a lottery pick. To me adding O'Gara and a conditional pick to a speedy forward who can score 50+ pts per year is a very good offer for an RFA that wants out from his current team in Trouba.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Here's the thing...I don't think Boston would ever LOOK to trade Carlo. It's not a counter to my point to say you'd rather get Trouba and keep Carlo. Obviously we all would.

But we need to look at this from the other side. Winnipeg isn't going to deal a 22 year old, potential top-pair dman without getting real value back. If you think they'd swap Zboril, or someone like him, in for Carlo, then hell yeah I'd rather that. I'd much rather see a D with both Carlo and Trouba then lose one. But I'm assuming Winnipeg, for the sake of this rumor, is at least insisting Carlo. And I think if Carlo is the centerpiece of a deal for Trouba, the Bruins are getting the best player in the trade. It just comes down to what his contract demands are, and whether you can avoid giving up a potential lottery 1st rounder.
If I was Sweeney I would replace Carlo with Zboril + one of JFK/Frederic or offer Spooner + McAvoy + McQuaid. I think you have to do the latter if you think Trouba is going to be your future franchise defenseman plus he makes an immediate impact within the team's core players' prime years. If Winnipeg declines both offers, the Bruins should move on and look to the trade deadline to see if a team like Minnesota is willing to deal a defenseman because of the upcoming expansion draft.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If I was Sweeney I would replace Carlo with Zboril + one of JFK/Frederic or offer Spooner + McAvoy + McQuaid. I think you have to do the latter if you think Trouba is going to be your future franchise defenseman plus he makes an immediate impact within the team's core players' primes. If Winnipeg declines both offers, the Bruins should move on and look to the trade deadline to see if a team like Minnesota is willing to deal a defenseman because of the upcoming expansion draft.

Wait...does this mean you value Carlo higher than McAvoy?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Winnipeg fans not impressed by Carlo Spooner and first round pick rumor

no offense to any Winnipeg fans reading, but they seem about as delusional as Leafs fans in terms of overrating the value of their players. Spooner/Carlo/1st is too much for holdout who has requested a trade and they are expecting more?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
no offense to any Winnipeg fans reading, but they seem about as delusional as Leafs fans in terms of overrating the value of their players. Spooner/Carlo/1st is too much for holdout who has requested a trade and they are expecting more?

Exactly!

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Yup, I am sure their GM would take that deal and it would be an overpayment by the B's.

19 year old dmen that can play in the NHL don't grow on trees. Also I would not be comfortable dealing away the first rounder, the team has been ok so far but this could be a year that gets away and that pick could be pretty high.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Wait...does this mean you value Carlo higher than McAvoy?
No, McAvoy will be the better player down the line. However, the idea behind that deal is the premise that if the Bruins trade for Trouba, he will become their de facto #1 franchise defenseman, and the same idea can be applied to McAvoy who many see him as the future #1D on the Bruins. That along with freeing up McQuaid's cap.

There is no denying the core of the Bruins are in or around their early 30s. What this trade does is speed up the process of the Bruins' retool. McAvoy, who may make the team next year, may need 1-2 years to get acclimated in the NHL before he shows us who he really can be in his 2nd-3rd year on the team. With Trouba, you are getting a known commodity who is ready to step into your top 4 and become your long-term 1st-pairing defenseman. Both are young defenseman, McAvoy 18 and Trouba 22, and both are also seen to be a team's future 1st-pairing defenseman.

This is how I would break it down:

1. The Bruins don't add any defensemen to the team and waste another year out of their core. McAvoy may make the team next season.

2. The Bruins trade Carlo for Trouba, and as my previous post mentioned as to the benefits or lack thereof of the said move, the Bruins will still need to add another top 4D if they want to make or get anywhere in the playoffs. This results in a potential year wasted from the core and more assets traded away to add said top 4D if you can trade for one, but you have McAvoy who may make the team next season.

3. The Bruins trade McAvoy and company for Trouba. They stabilize their top 4 for now and the future and actually give the Bruins a fighting chance during their core players' prime years.

4. The Bruins stay pat in regards to Trouba. Look to the trade deadline which may be their best chance to add a top 4D given the upcoming expansion draft. If they can't add a top 4 defenseman, go back to 1.

In my opinion, in order as to what I think would benefit the Bruins the most to least:
3>4>1>2

Management wants to win, and the players want to win. The McAvoy trade gives them a shot to win during their current core's prime years while still retooling, Carlo, Heinen etc.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
No, McAvoy will be the better player down the line. However, the idea behind that deal is the premise that if the Bruins trade for Trouba, he will become their de facto #1 franchise defenseman, and the same idea can be applied to McAvoy who many see him as the future #1D on the Bruins. That along with freeing up McQuaid's cap.

There is no denying the core of the Bruins are in or around their early 30s. What this trade does is speed up the process of the Bruins' retool. McAvoy, who may make the team next year, may need 1-2 years to get acclimated in the NHL before he shows us who he really can be in his 2nd-3rd year on the team. With Trouba, you are getting a known commodity who is ready to step into your top 4 and become your long-term 1st-pairing defenseman. Both are young defenseman, McAvoy 18 and Trouba 22, and both are also seen to be a team's future 1st-pairing defenseman.

This is how I would break it down:

1. The Bruins don't add any defensemen to the team and waste another year out of their core. McAvoy may make the team next season.

2. The Bruins trade Carlo for Trouba, and as my previous post mentioned as to the benefits or lack thereof of the said move, the Bruins will still need to add another top 4D if they want to make or get anywhere in the playoffs. This results in a potential year wasted from the core and more assets traded away to add said top 4D if you can trade for one, but you have McAvoy who may make the team next season.

3. The Bruins trade McAvoy and company for Trouba. They stabilize their top 4 for now and the future and actually give the Bruins a fighting chance during their core players' prime years.

4. The Bruins stay pat in regards to Trouba. Look to the trade deadline which may be their best chance to add a top 4D given the upcoming expansion draft. If they can't add a top 4 defenseman, go back to 1.

In my opinion, in order as to what I think would benefit the Bruins the most to least:
3>4>1>2

Management wants to win, and the players want to win. The McAvoy trade gives them a shot to win during their current core's prime years while still retooling, Carlo, Heinen etc.

I like your points, but I think they can make the deal without adding Carlo or McAvoy, of course this scenario we would not be getting rid of McQuaid's contract, I still think we could deal Adam for a mid round pick near the deadline when teams are always looking for depth on D. I think O'Gara has value with Spooner and a conditional first rounder (at least lottery protected) or if we make the ECF. O'Gara has shown he could play now and although he may not be top 4 right now, he could possibly be down the road, if they don't want him then to me Zboril has appeal as well as McAvoy. Zboril was a lottery pick #13 overall and is showing again this year that he can be a very good 2 way D, he can put up some points and also plays a nasty physical game. So Zboril or O'Gara I think would be appealing with Spooner.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I don't know but the 18 goals scored in the first 8 games doesn't have me super excited to trade Spooner for a dman to be truthful. We have a true top 6 then we have two 4th lines right now. Beleskey-Nash-Hayes as our 3rd line is nasty, they'll be lucky to score 25 goals between the 3 of them. This Hayes experiment has got to stop. I don't care if the kid grew up in the basement of the old Boston Garden........he's rotten.

Carlo is a steady enough dman in the top 4 for us to get by for now. Him and Chara have looked great, Krug will only get better and we're needing K Miller/C Miller/McQuaid to step up in a top 4 role for now. But to sacrifice one of our fastest and creative forwards for Trouba, I don't see the point. Especially if it's Spooner+Carlo+1st. If that deal happened, I'd hope Sweeney was fired immediately.

Watching the team thus far and seeing who's on the cusp for offensive breakout.....I say we need to accept that playoffs for us is not feasible and we're a year or two away from being competitive again. I hope Spooner stays in the 3rd line centre role this season. Him as a winger is an epic fail. Role out with:

Marchand—Bergeron—Pasta
Beleskey—Krejci—Czarnik
Nash—Spooner—Heinen
Schaller—Moore—Hayes

when fully healthy:
Marchand—Bergeron—Pasta
Vatrano—Krejci—Czarnik
Beleskey—Spooner—Backes
Schaller—Moore—Nash

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't know but the 18 goals scored in the first 8 games doesn't have me super excited to trade Spooner for a dman to be truthful. We have a true top 6 then we have two 4th lines right now. Beleskey-Nash-Hayes as our 3rd line is nasty, they'll be lucky to score 25 goals between the 3 of them. This Hayes experiment has got to stop. I don't care if the kid grew up in the basement of the old Boston Garden........he's rotten.

Carlo is a steady enough dman in the top 4 for us to get by for now. Him and Chara have looked great, Krug will only get better and we're needing K Miller/C Miller/McQuaid to step up in a top 4 role for now. But to sacrifice one of our fastest and creative forwards for Trouba, I don't see the point. Especially if it's Spooner+Carlo+1st. If that deal happened, I'd hope Sweeney was fired immediately.

Watching the team thus far and seeing who's on the cusp for offensive breakout.....I say we need to accept that playoffs for us is not feasible and we're a year or two away from being competitive again. I hope Spooner stays in the 3rd line centre role this season. Him as a winger is an epic fail. Role out with:

Marchand—Bergeron—Pasta
Beleskey—Krejci—Czarnik
Nash—Spooner—Heinen
Schaller—Moore—Hayes

when fully healthy:
Marchand—Bergeron—Pasta
Vatrano—Krejci—Czarnik
Beleskey—Spooner—Backes
Schaller—Moore—Nash

In your scenario : I like what Nash has brought to the team in a bottom 6 role this year, but I think strictly for the 4th line, Acciari has earned his chops and deserves to play. Nash would be a good utility guy coming off the bench in the event of injury/poor play.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This Trouba talk is so funny. I mean if you asked people the week before the season if they'd trade Carlo, Spooner and a 1st for Trouba I think most say hell yes. Now, with under 10 games played in the NHL, folks seem barely willing to trade Carlo in the deal, let alone add to it. I'm not saying they are right to all of a sudden rate Carlo's first three weeks so highly, but it does underscore the element of "fandom" that goes into these trade rumors and proposals.

Personally, I definitely move Carlo and Spooner for Trouba. Definitely. But there's no way I add our 1st rounder, which to me could easily be top 8. At this point Spooner isn't worth much to me. I'd take a 2nd rounder from a bad team for him all day long. I think Carlo has been tremendous so far, and I'd hate to give him up, but I think you're getting a guy with much higher upside back right away. Given his salary demands it's certainly no lock he's a better asset than Carlo going forward, but I think he's much better in the near future, and I think the next 2-3 years are a major concern right now.

Yah you can't do that first

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Spooner would be absolutely electric in Winnipeg

He just really doesn't have a longterm spot on that team, you get better value for him somewhere else than in Winnipeg.
With both Zboril& Lauzon playing in juniors this Trouba trade ask is a bad timing for Bruins.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He just really doesn't have a longterm spot on that team, you get better value for him somewhere else than in Winnipeg.
With both Zboril& Lauzon playing in juniors this Trouba trade ask is a bad timing for Bruins.

I agree he would fit in GREAT there, but also, it is true they have Laine and Connor at LW and Little and Scheifele at C. So Spooner would be a 3rd liner for them. Now, shoot, that would give them a HELL of a forward corps, so I don't think saying "he doesn't have a long term spot" is entirely accurate, but he would probably get more value from a team that wants him at their #2C. That being said, if the Jets really like him, who knows.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chara Carlo
Krug Trouba

That looks like a good playoff team's top 4 to me.

Krug Trouba
Chara Colin? -> McAvoy next year

That *might* set you up to be better long term, but you are better off the next two years with the 1st group.

Regardless, I don't think you can include Carlo/McAvoy AND the 1st.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If Bruins could figure a way to get Trouba and keep Carlo it would set them up nice next few years moving forward.Carlo, Trouba, Zboril and McAvoy.Deal Carlo in a trade for Trouba and upping cap hit at same time would be bad business and bad asset management now that you see he has tools to get job done..Just my take on it.I would 100% be all for moving Krug.,To me he is way over rated.Yes got 44 pts last year but his weak play in own end probably led to 44 against too/.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maybe a Shea Theodore from the Ducks for Ryan Spooner of the Bruins?
Ducks need some help on the left wing and if they don't want to give up Fowler.

How does that help their number one issue, that cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad