• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Just a hypothetical here.... If the Bruins were to fire Sweeney, can we go outside the organization please? Because I'm frightened by the thought of firing Sweeney and Neely or JFJ (even worse) taking the reins.
Firing Sweeney would be very aggressive for this ownership. While winning a Stanley cup is our primary vision as fans, I do not believe it is the driving force of the owner. No, I am not saying that the owner wants cheap payroll etc, but I do believe a buisness model exsists to which Don Sweeney has done well in. I believe winning it all IS important to the owner, but I think its further from the top then a fan of the team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not only if he does nothing... But if he adds nothing of real value? I'd be on the hunt for a new GM.

However (as strongly worded as that may be) I actually have confidence that Sweeney will do something significant.

He better do something. Everyone knows what the problems are. Enough thumb twiddling & line changing. *Fix it.* Ya dope.

Still believe Sweeney & Neely suffer from Sinden era Stockholm Syndrome. It took Chiarelli and Julien -- two outsiders -- to rebuild, remake & create a culture of winning for a moribund organization. Don't forget that.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
People are really over valuing the work Sweeney has done so far.

People act like the Bruins were stuck in cap hell laden with terrible contracts, while nothing could be further from the truth.
The team was on a downward spiral with Chia. Sweeney stopped it and they are trending up.
That said, his bottom 6 FA's have been ok. His top 6 / big name FA have been awful.
No significant trades either.
Just a bit above treading water.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Except for the 2015 draft hard to criticize Sweeney too much

but can anyone explain Frank Vatrano and how he has 20 goals and 31 points this season??

I just don't understand this

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

but can anyone explain Frank Vatrano and how he has 20 goals and 31 points this season??

He's only 24 and he has a big shot.

He's figuring things out. And there are a lot more chances to unload his shot playing in games with a non-contender that aren't as contentious as B's games.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Sweeney got a 3rd for Vatrano and gave up a 3rd within a few weeks for a dman named.... for the life of me, I cant remember.

Then we brought in Gionta to play where Vatrano could have. That's not great GMing.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Sweeney got a 3rd for Vatrano and gave up a 3rd within a few weeks for a dman named.... for the life of me, I cant remember.

Then we brought in Gionta to play where Vatrano could have. That's not great GMing.
Because he has 20 goals this year doesn’t mean he wasn’t sucking up a storm last year. He was skating with his head cut off. I’m happy for him but not really upset they traded him.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The team was on a downward spiral with Chia. Sweeney stopped it and they are trending up.
That said, his bottom 6 FA's have been ok. His top 6 / big name FA have been awful.
No significant trades either.
Just a bit above treading water.

He better do something. Everyone knows what the problems are. Enough thumb twiddling & line changing. *Fix it.* Ya dope.

Still believe Sweeney & Neely suffer from Sinden era Stockholm Syndrome. It took Chiarelli and Julien -- two outsiders -- to rebuild, remake & create a culture of winning for a moribund organization. Don't forget that.

This is a very interesting take I had not thought of; the Bruins made the playoffs, what 22 years in a row which is amazing gate revenue and sales...and no Cups.

Chiarelli on the other hand went all in and opted for the highest of highs (a Cup) and then the lows (playoff DNQ's). A return to the Sinden era of being good enough to win a round or two but never over the top makes owners millions annually but never wins the Cup. Never thought that perhaps a return to that style of being in the top 6-10 range annually will keep owners very happy.

Time to prove everyone wrong and set that theory to rest this week.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
This is a very interesting take I had not thought of; the Bruins made the playoffs, what 22 years in a row which is amazing gate revenue and sales...and no Cups.

Chiarelli on the other hand went all in and opted for the highest of highs (a Cup) and then the lows (playoff DNQ's). A return to the Sinden era of being good enough to win a round or two but never over the top makes owners millions annually but never wins the Cup. Never thought that perhaps a return to that style of being in the top 6-10 range annually will keep owners very happy.

29 years in a row. NHL record. 2 cups... 7 Stanely Cup Finals, 12 division titles. Was a good run.

Ran into Gretz and co in their prime and lemiux in his prime.

Lost two cups to Montreal, 1 to Philly, 2 to Edmonton, also had WHA steal some players, and the unforntunate bad knees of Mr. ORR or would have been even better run

Bourque and ORR in theory should have had almost 10 years of overlap. That pretty much would have guaranteed a cup or two.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I'm not saying Don or Cam consciously want to return to the "three players away" era of Sinden at his worst. They did play under him, and apparently still seek his counsel.

According to a regular poster here, Mike Milbury pointed to Sinden as the ultimate "decider" during his years as GM, rather than penny pinching (though delighted to do so) JJ.

Sweeney played in that atmosphere, as did Neely.

Don & Cam have had four years to bring matters to heel. They've done some good things, and made some egregious mistakes.

This (pre) deadline should tell us much.

Hope it tells well.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Hard to criticize Sweeney besides the 2015 draft? What about belesky and backes contracts, signing Wagner, Nordstrom and moore instead of a 3rd line center. Moore wasn’t a bad signing but he’s getting healthy scratched. Would have much rather used that 4-5 million on those 3 players for a 2nd line winger or 3rd line center.

He’s hit on some draft picks and missed big on others. Really the only thing he’s done a great job at is signing Marchand and pasta to team friendly deals. And I doubt that those Marchand/ pasta contracts would really be any different if there was another GM besides Sweeney

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hard to criticize Sweeney besides the 2015 draft? What about belesky and backes contracts, signing Wagner, Nordstrom and moore instead of a 3rd line center. Moore wasn’t a bad signing but he’s getting healthy scratched. Would have much rather used that 4-5 million on those 3 players for a 2nd line winger or 3rd line center.

He’s hit on some draft picks and missed big on others. Really the only thing he’s done a great job at is signing Marchand and pasta to team friendly deals. And I doubt that those Marchand/ pasta contracts would really be any different if there was another GM besides Sweeney

yes but teams record since he has taken over GM = its hard to criticize him

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I don`t excuse DS for everything by any stretch, and watching a few kids succeed with other teams while being passed over by the B`s isn`t easy although I don`t obsess like some here do about it but 10 picks in that draft, 2 of which were Carlo and DeBrusk who now play significant roles with the B`s, Lauzon really asserted himself well this year and it`s clear, at some point, he`s an NHL player, JFK isn`t ready yet but likely will be an NHL player, whether it`s with the B`s or otherwise, that`s pretty solid drafting.

I don`t have a clue what would be considered a great percentage when it comes to drafting but let`s just say even with Carlo and Jake playing significant roles with the B`s, that draft is at 20%, I`ll guess that`s pretty solid return so far, yep, coulda been stronger but still not horrific IMO

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Lol. Well that would be impossible to argue either way wouldn't it???

:shakehead

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
yes but teams record since he has taken over GM = its hard to criticize him

He took over a team that had 96 and 117 points the two seasons before he became GM and had a rising star in Pastrnak drafted before he came. Not like he picked up a dumpster of a team.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don`t excuse DS for everything by any stretch, and watching a few kids succeed with other teams while being passed over by the B`s isn`t easy although I don`t obsess like some here do about it but 10 picks in that draft, 2 of which were Carlo and DeBrusk who now play significant roles with the B`s, Lauzon really asserted himself well this year and it`s clear, at some point, he`s an NHL player, JFK isn`t ready yet but likely will be an NHL player, whether it`s with the B`s or otherwise, that`s pretty solid drafting.

I don`t have a clue what would be considered a great percentage when it comes to drafting but let`s just say even with Carlo and Jake playing significant roles with the B`s, that draft is at 20%, I`ll guess that`s pretty solid return so far, yep, coulda been stronger but still not horrific IMO

Hitting on 1 of 3 players when you have 3 picks from 13-15 in the first round isn’t good.

Reactions: Estlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad