Grade Sweeney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Its xmas and everyone knows what Bruins need .The ball is firmly in Don Sweeney's hands.The team stayed afloat during injuries holding up their end of things.I do not want any excuses from Bruins management.Get that top 6 winger who can score.DO YOUR JOB.End of story.

BruinsNetwork

Didn’t think I’d be saying this, but Kampfer has been a sneakily good pickup. He has been a very serviceable bottom-pair defender who can eat minutes when needed. Cleared McQuaid off the books and got a player who can skate better and move the puck quicker. Sweeney did well in that trade.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Didn’t think I’d be saying this, but Kampfer has been a sneakily good pickup. He has been a very serviceable bottom-pair defender who can eat minutes when needed. Cleared McQuaid off the books and got a player who can skate better and move the puck quicker. Sweeney did well in that trade.
Kampfer may not be Matt Irwin... but he isn’t a guy I’d exactly laud either. Lauzon looked like twice the player in my opinion. The further Kampfer is from an everyday spot, the better off we are.

Would rather Quaider here by about five or six miles. Until that cap space is used on something useful, I call that trade an L.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Pumped for SweenDog to add Stempniak, Fiddler and Gomez for the playoff push.

also like Gionta last season.....you must be jokin

Bruins need to do something serious. Like trading for Stone and Pageau

BruinsNetwork

also like Gionta last season.....you must be jokin

Bruins need to do something serious. Like trading for Stone and Pageau

JG Pageau tore his Achilles in camp and isn’t expected to play in a game until about March. He started skating around Thanksgiving though, so it’s quite encouraging for him.

Huge fan of Pageau and I was told last year the Bruins had interest in him at one point. However, now that he’s sidelined with that injury, I don’t see it happening.

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
JG Pageau tore his Achilles in camp and isn’t expected to play in a game until about March. He started skating around Thanksgiving though, so it’s quite encouraging for him.

Huge fan of Pageau and I was told last year the Bruins had interest in him at one point. However, now that he’s sidelined with that injury, I don’t see it happening.

Too bad... didnt know until March

It is a tough injury to rebound from. If he cant skate prior to... it will be devastating to his game/smaller frame

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
No, no he didn't. They get pushed around on a regular basis, are small and not very physical. With both Miller and Chara hurt D was lacking physicality as badly as forwards. Kampfer is mediocre at best and the fourth round pick is essentially useless on a percentage basis of players being picked in that round that make the NHL. Sweeney has used none of the cap money he saved, so aside from making Jacobs happy this was a terrible trade for all involved from a Bruins perspective

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Since this is the All Sweeney talk board... My take on Sweeney is not that great.
His best so far is drafting Charlie Jake and Carlo
But plenty of others bruins could of had like
Connor Barzal debrincat Aho
Chabot Bowser
His major signings
Backes and Beleskey awful
Halak was a good acquisition
Cassidy surprised even Sweeney
Crapshoot or not as it stands they blew the draft . One draft can make a huge difference in teams future

Reactions: Blowfish

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Since this is the All Sweeney talk board... My take on Sweeney is not that great.
Chabot Bowser
His major signings
Crapshoot or not as it stands they blew the draft . One draft can make a huge difference in teams future
Bruins 4th most games played from the 2015 draft class. One of only 3 teams with 5 different players from that draft who have played an NHL game.

I hope they blow every draft like that.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Bruins 4th most games played from the 2015 draft class. One of only 3 teams with 5 different players from that draft who have played an NHL game.

Imo when I say they blew that draft was because they had more picks then other teams and could have had more top players i.e some of those I mentioned.
That said I sure hope they had more games played from players ...they had more picks furthermore that's not imo indicative solely of having more success . Teams may want to take more time to develop their players i.e that might be the case with Frederick.
Also Zach a player I felt that may be the most dynamic and was pegged as a 2nd rder was a high first Rd pick. If Zach had been a high profile player at this point DS would look like a genius but he hasnt thus far . DS would have been praised had Zach been a top player but he hasn't so he needs to be held accountable.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Bruins also had 5 picks in the top 45. No other team had more than 3 in the top 45.

The bruins being 4th in games played from the 2015 draft isn’t very impressive when you add a little context.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

And a couple of those players are already pretty studly and filled team needs. Another thing to consider is that you can't have every player have the same development arc. There are a limited number of spots on a team with established stars. There is also a salary cap. If everyone becomes a stud at the same time you have to pay them at the same time when they are ready for a big jump in salary. Throw in the fact that not every player will get a chance to be star since they won't even have a spot on the team if the team has already met that need. It would be great if the Bs had drafted a scoring winger and early bloomer. They did, however, draft players who have filled other needs and will be productive for years to come. Would like to know which teams fill all their holes in one draft. Sweeney has a great stable of talented young players to offer up for a scoring winger. Not too many teams have the quantity of talent the Bs have in its system.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Chabot Bowser
His major signings
I never read this before.:sarcasm:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

They got lucky in later rounds but blew them 3 first round picks bigtime
THAT IS A FACT.That said its not about that it is about Bruins GM doing his job now.This deadline will be big in how people view him

Reactions: Fenian24

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He's going to pull the trigger soon...enough is enough with the recent players attempted in the top 6. Krejci is clearly still elite with good players.
I hope you're right. It's hard for me to be convinced Sweeney will initiate a big trade for a good scoring winger for the second line. This has been a known need for several years now and nothing has been done other than rolling the dice with a couple aging vets.

The veteran core has minimal years left at which they will all be playing at an elite level. Now is the time to go big and bring in someone who will be here for a few years minimum, and optimally someone who will be able to be here longer than a few years.

Krejci has been the biggest, and most pleasant, surprise for me this year. This is the best he has played since his glory years in the early 2010s. He's flat-out bringing it every game. I'm not talking points. I'm talking effort from shift to shift and play in all three zones. Dude is playing like he's a $7.25 mil player. Sweeney needs to strike while the iron is hot.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I hope you're right. It's hard for me to be convinced Sweeney will initiate a big trade for a good scoring winger for the second line. This has been a known need for several years now and nothing has been done other than rolling the dice with a couple aging vets.

The veteran core has minimal years left at which they will all be playing at an elite level. Now is the time to go big and bring in someone who will be here for a few years minimum, and optimally someone who will be able to be here longer than a few years.

Krejci has been the biggest, and most pleasant, surprise for me this year. This is the best he has played since his glory years in the early 2010s. He's flat-out bringing it every game. I'm not talking points. I'm talking effort from shift to shift and play in all three zones. Dude is playing like he's a $7.25 mil player. Sweeney needs to strike while the iron is hot.

People forget Krecji led Playoffs in scoring the last 2 Bruins run's to a final.Not Bergeron or anyone else ,David Krecji.Sweeney is doing himself a bigtime injustice not to get him a scoring winger.Fans will turn on him..

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
People forget Krecji led Playoffs in scoring the last 2 Bruins run's to a final.Not Bergeron or anyone else ,David Krecji.Sweeney is doing himself a bigtime injustice not to get him a scoring winger.Fans will turn on him..

Don has to address this sooner than later to allow call up/new player time to adjust with Debrusk / Krejci. Gotta think something is coming soon. It can't be any more obvious.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
They got lucky in later rounds but blew them 3 first round picks bigtime
THAT IS A FACT.That said its not about that it is about Bruins GM doing his job now.This deadline will be big in how people view him
so it's luck when they hit on a player and it's their fault when they miss, good to know.

Reactions: Iceage

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

Uhh, they traded 2 really valuable assets (at the time) to get extra picks. I could see your point if they had one draft pick in every round like most other teams but we had so many 1st and 2nd rounders at the expense of our team's roster.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Anyway, more important is that he doesn't trade away a first-rounder for rental again. Rangers fans were laughing at us taking Nash for a playoff run because he was known to them as not being a playoff guy. Pro scouting is hard, I guess.

Reactions: Estlin and Iceage

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
so it's luck when they hit on a player and it's their fault when they miss, good to know.

When its outside the first round your really fortunate you find a gem that can be like a top 6.Bruins have like five 1st rounders on entire team which to me means they need to draft better .Others will say they compete with top teams so they must draft good.Fine line I guess but 2015 draft was lucky to find what they did not smart in my mind.

Last edited:

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Until now, sweeny have been medium gm...not good not bad...i am still patient but he don't impress me at all
I jusr don't see him making a great trade...i need to see it before i believe
Bruins have developped an history of idiot in trades in recent years and after silly chia , sweeny made nothing to change that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad