Management Don Sweeney II - All Sweeney Talk Here

Grade Sweeney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
If you were GM and had Krejci and Bergeron as a centers you might be lucky enough to get a cup. Well see what hes made of after his gifts retire

No doubt having them and Chara was a strong core with excellent leadership. But he still had to deal with the cap issues and he’s drafted well.

Pastrnak and DeBrusk have been major assets and then McAvoy and Carlo helped to stabilize the D.

We can spilt hairs over who had what to do with how they got drafted but you can’t ignore that Sweeney has been part of this all along. He’s not a guy that came in from outside the organization

Reactions: DaaaaB's

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No doubt having them and Chara was a strong core with excellent leadership. But he still had to deal with the cap issues and he’s drafted well.

Pastrnak and DeBrusk have been major assets and then McAvoy and Carlo helped to stabilize the D.

We can spilt hairs over who had what to do with how they got drafted but you can’t ignore that Sweeney has been part of this all along. He’s not a guy that came in from outside the organization

I hope he wins a cup. I rooted for him growing up watching the Bruins.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

I definitely give him credit for fixing the cap situation. Signing Beleskey and Backes didn't help but we're still in great shape cap wise.

His drafting has been hit or miss imo but pretty solid overall. It's too early to tell on the last couple draft classes but I think they'll improve his draft record.

He's made some really good trades too. A couple that I didn't like but more good than bad.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The Bruins being good doesn't change the fact that Sweeney's made some terrible decisions. The team is being carried by players who were here before Sweeney was GM anyhow. Like I've said before, he's made good moves too. Don't see anyone can give higher than a C.

I find funny how you and some others get so upset about Sweeney being criticized in a thread about him on a forum board. How dare people not worship the ground he walks on lol.

People are acting like he set this franchise back years and yet here they are, rolling. I’m not upset about it in the least.

Criticism and lunacy are two different things. You would think the way people carry on about him this team was bottom 5 in the league. Sure he’s made mistakes, they all do.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Ok, so we are up to 5 now.

You are making progress
Where would this team be without those 5 guys? Certainly not in a playoff position.

I could add guys like Pastrnak, Heinen and Krug but he was the assistant GM so I didn't. Who knows how much he had to do with adding those guys.

Now go ahead and make your smart ass reply that adds nothing to the conversation just like all your other posts.

Reactions: Don Cherry

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Where would this team be without those 5 guys? Certainly not in a playoff position.

I could add guys like Pastrnak, Heinen and Krug but he was the assistant GM so I didn't. Who knows how much he had to do with adding those guys.

Now go ahead and make your smart ass reply that adds nothing to the conversation just like all your other posts.
Where would any team be “without those guys”?

What is your fricking point? That the GM sucks because if all the star players weren’t available he didn’t do enough?

Damn...that wasn’t smart ass at all

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Now go ahead and make your smart ass reply that adds nothing to the conversation just like all your other posts

Or he could do what you and a bunch of people do and continue to post a thousand times that the GM sucks? No real difference.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Where would any team be “without those guys”?

What is your fricking point? That the GM sucks because if all the star players weren’t available he didn’t do enough?

Damn...that wasn’t smart ass at all
My point is that he doesn't deserve all the credit for this team being good. Some credit sure, I've already said that.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Or he could do what you and a bunch of people do and continue to post a thousand times that the GM sucks? No real difference.
I've never once said Sweeney sucks. There's just as many posters on here who won't admit Sweeney has made mistakes as there is ones saying he sucks.

Reactions: Estlin

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
My point is that he doesn't deserve all the credit for this team being good. Some credit sure, I've already said that.
I'm actually not sure what to give him credit for. He inherited the entire core. I'll give him credit for Belesky, Backes, Nash and John "healthy scratch" Moore. I'm also willing to totally credit him for passing others to draft Seneshyn, that kid's can't-miss talent from what I've read.

I seriously don't understand giving him even a D in the poll. Add in the fact that he hides from the media and we have a gutless moron, imo.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I've never once said Sweeney sucks. There's just as many posters on here who won't admit Sweeney has made mistakes as there is ones saying he sucks.

Since there’s only 4 votes for an A and 10 who’ve given him an F plus 37 that have given a D, there’s not many who apparently think he walks on water.

Realistically it would seem to be a small percentage of posters who may think he hasn’t made mistakes. If that’s in fact what they actually think.

Most reasonable posters that I’ve seen weigh in here have mentioned what they like that he’s done and also what they don’t like and think the good outweighs the bad.

Seems to me the ones who have graded him below a C are the ones who are clinging to the unrealistic misrepresentation of him making nothing but mistakes

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
A lot of posters are forgetting what Sweeney inherited.

-They were in cap hell
-The farm system sucked

They were likely destined to be a bottom third team for a long, long time if those two issues didn’t get fixed.

Sweeney fixed them both in a short turnaround and for that even his harshest critics should give him some credit

I liked Don as a player. I don't like him much as a GM. Yet, I agree with your points.

Fairly or unfairly, the deadline will tell us all we need to know about his ability to improve the club relative to this season.

Without significant upgrades on lines 2 & 3, it's difficult to imagine the Bruins getting past the second round.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I liked Don as a player. I don't like him much as a GM. Yet, I agree with your points.

Fairly or unfairly, the deadline will tell us all we need to know about his ability to improve the club relative to this season.

Without significant upgrades on lines 2 & 3, it's difficult to imagine the Bruins getting past the second round.

And that’s as fair an assessment as we can all have right now

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
“I am smart because I post that the GM sucks”

Meanwhile the team wins.

“But I see others don’t “

People are trying to sum up the whole season before it is over and WANT to be right.

People would rather be right on their takes than see the team have success. Examples like Danton Heinen, 2015 firsts busting, Torey Krug, etc. etc. etc.

It's disgusting and a lot of people need a reality check. Are you a fan of the team or are you a fan of being right? When you openly root for bad things to happen with the team you supposedly root for, it's time to step back and reassess yourself.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Since there’s only 4 votes for an A and 10 who’ve given him an F plus 37 that have given a D, there’s not many who apparently think he walks on water.

Realistically it would seem to be a small percentage of posters who may think he hasn’t made mistakes. If that’s in fact what they actually think.

Most reasonable posters that I’ve seen weigh in here have mentioned what they like that he’s done and also what they don’t like and think the good outweighs the bad.

Seems to me the ones who have graded him below a C are the ones who are clinging to the unrealistic misrepresentation of him making nothing but mistakes
Fair enough, guess there are more who are too harsh on him. I definitely think he's been a mix of good and bad.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Fair enough, guess there are more who are too harsh on him. I definitely think he's been a mix of good and bad.

And that’s a more realistic representation of what’s actually going on. As @BruinsFanSince94 posted above, some posters seem to cling to wanting to be right more than supporting the team.

It’s actually kinda puzzling to me

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I remebers Chia's critics many who are Donny fans complaining every min of the day and we were a powerhouse then

Chia selects Hamill over Couture, Colborne over Eberle, Caron over Palmieri...all of which were questioned at the time, especially in the media
Chia 2010, no depth, didn't replace Kessel
Chia 2012, sign foot soldiers, replace Ryder w Pouliot, Don't replace Horton was was clearly not coming back
Chia 2013, Trade Seguin, Sign Iginla to cap busting incentive laden deal.
Chia 2014, Trade Boychuk, instead of paring the bottom nine forwards.

Again, criticizing is fine. Sweeney has had several missteps. I have issues with him. 2015...Dealing Smith....Colin Miller....Backes extra year...not doing what it took to get Skinner this summer..... It's the broad brush "he sucks", D+ jokers I have to read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad