Management Don Sweeney explains why Bruce Cassidy was fired and a rebuild is possible - UNEDITED

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Seriously 🙄 I'm far from a big Sweeney fan but come on now
Yes cirelli is the best overall player from this bunch. So that weighs heavily. Though swayman could over take that in time. But a top 6 center who puts up over .50 ppg and finishes top 5 in selke is by far the best player on that list for either team.

Reactions: Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Again, that's not the point. Comparing the Bruins organization to one that is coming off of 2 consecutive cup wins, and in the finals again this year is wildly laughable. In 8 years when Tampa is feeling the pain of missing on drafts, we can have this conversation, but now? No shot
So you can't benchmark yourself against parts of other organizations if they are more successful than you overall?

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
Yes cirelli is the best overall player from this bunch. So that weighs heavily. Though swayman could over take that in time. But a top 6 center who puts up over .50 ppg and finishes top 5 in selke is by far the best player on that list for either team.

I'd consider Cirelli a pretty low end top 6 center at the moment. He might be the best of the bunch(which is debatable) but Swayman,Carlo and Lindgren are the best players after that and that isn't debatable.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Every time I think I've seen it all here, I get surprised by something so profoundly idiotic and stand surprised. Don Sweeney has a done a shit job of drafting, which is why he grossly overpaid for bottom of the roster stiffs last off season, FFS. At no point should anyone with any reasonable objectivity ever make a statement to the contrary. It doesn't matter if you go pick by pick or year by year. Not enough players that they have drafted are progressing through the system. That's a huge problem and why they have cap issues today.

Comparing them to any team is irrelevant because the argument shouldn't be can you find someone that's done worse. It should be why the f*** is Don Sweeney getting extended when he's done such a horrible job drafting and developing players and mismanaged the shit out of the cap to cover up that poor drafting?

And even if you want to say Tampa has done worse lately, they just won two cups out of the last 3 years and were back in the finals this year with a real chance to win it again. Which roster would you rather have? Which recent team history would you rather have? They're playing with house money, FFS. Suggesting Don Sweeney has done anything better is f***ing idiotic. He's been the reason they aren't a real playoff contender and won't be again next year. The same f***ing holes in the roster from the last 6 years are still there and getting worse.
I'll be happy to concede that Don is better at drafting than Tampa. But then, if that's true, given the greater success that Tampa has had... I'm assuming others will concede:

SY & JBB are better at hiring coaches, both head coaches, assistant coaches and developmental coaches.
SY & JBB are better at professional scouting, negotiating contracts and getting free agents signed.
SY & JBB are better at trading.
SY & JBB are better at managing the cap.

With such a huge edge in drafting as people here have pointed out, it's clear that Sweeney is deficient in other areas.
Thank God we have contributions from knowledge people that can draw a line between way out there and right here, right now.

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: There is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits."

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Drafting in the NHL is not a skill.

Its 90% (or more) luck.

That's why so many here think they could do a better job than the GMs and scouts.

Because they could, it's just so much luck.
Was going to give you the thumb, but if it were 90% or more luck, you wouldn't see the hit rate sink linearly from the 1st round to the 7th.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Tampa is about five years behind the current team in Boston age wise. They have a ton of miles but they have had a better result than Boston. They drafted in a better spot on some of their guys (Stamkos, Hedman years). I think their GM’s deadline trades were difference makers. They went for gusto on most of them, where as Sweeney circled the edges and overpaid for non difference makers.
One thing about rebuilding, you need to do that when there is a high end player coming out and not a meh year. There a lot of teams picking high but the talent isn’t there. You can’t draft SEVEN Bergerons every year.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So you can't benchmark yourself against parts of other organizations if they are more successful than you overall?
You can benchmark yourself against whomever you want. But others get to say it's a garbage comp in return, no?

Like I said at the very start of my involvement in this, it's not about how they've done when compared to others. It's about how this team and the cap, and the construction of the roster is under this front office. And at best you can say it's lacking. Like I also said from my interjection, this is and has been a one line team during Sweeney's entire tenure. It's a top line and then a bunch of bottom six guys for the most part, which is why they continually get bounced in the first round. Does that sound like a good job being done? I mean I get that it does to Jacobs since they get a series of playoff gate revenue, but as fans, does it feel like the current group has done enough in all facets of the job to be happy and satisfied or does it feel more like the Sinden days of "we qualified for the playoffs 27 consecutive years" kind of deal? I know which one it feels like to me. I lived through the first version of Sinden and his bullshit. I have very little interest in seeing Harry 2.0 touting the same f***ing nonsense as proof he's doing a good job. He's not. This roster is mostly low grade dog food with a rapidly aging top line.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'd consider Cirelli a pretty low end top 6 center at the moment. He might be the best of the bunch(which is debatable) but Swayman,Carlo and Lindgren are the best players after that and that isn't debatable.

I’d trade Carlo right now for Ross colton.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’ve been reading and reading posts since they got booted. I got to say, I don’t know how Sweeney is going to fix the mess that is in front of him. I’m waiting……
It is messy...Got to offload some bad decision contracts and hope for a prospect or 2 to impact the team this year.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I’ve been reading and reading posts since they got booted. I got to say, I don’t know how Sweeney is going to fix the mess that is in front of him. I’m waiting……
I don't know if he sees it that way, needing to be fixed. They played very good hockey from January through the end of the year. They lost to a good Carolina team by one goal in a seventh game. Fix this mess? He probably thinking a few tweaks player wise, hopes some one of the kids can take it to the next level, a new coach, and prays they can tread water until hopefully everyone heals properly and is healthy to play at a professional level.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You can benchmark yourself against whomever you want. But others get to say it's a garbage comp in return, no?

Like I said at the very start of my involvement in this, it's not about how they've done when compared to others. It's about how this team and the cap, and the construction of the roster is under this front office. And at best you can say it's lacking. Like I also said from my interjection, this is and has been a one line team during Sweeney's entire tenure. It's a top line and then a bunch of bottom six guys for the most part, which is why they continually get bounced in the first round. Does that sound like a good job being done? I mean I get that it does to Jacobs since they get a series of playoff gate revenue, but as fans, does it feel like the current group has done enough in all facets of the job to be happy and satisfied or does it feel more like the Sinden days of "we qualified for the playoffs 27 consecutive years" kind of deal? I know which one it feels like to me. I lived through the first version of Sinden and his bullshit. I have very little interest in seeing Harry 2.0 touting the same f***ing nonsense as proof he's doing a good job. He's not. This roster is mostly low grade dog food with a rapidly aging top line.
I get what you're saying and your points are correct, but if you read through all the original posts it started with someone making the comparison between the two team drafting and saying they are far and above better than us, which I just dont agree with, not like I'm going around here saying we should be happy with how the team as been run because we've drafted better than the Bolts in round 1 and 2.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well sir I'm glad you aren't running the show
I agree, but Carlo, while good is way overrated here IMO and I don’t mean it in a bad way

I don't know if he sees it that way, needing to be fixed. They played very good hockey from January through the end of the year. They lost to a good Carolina team by one goal in a seventh game. Fix this mess? He probably thinking a few tweaks player wise, hopes some one of the kids can take it to the next level, a new coach, and prays they can tread water until hopefully everyone heals properly and is healthy to play at a professional level.
I still think the team is good. They need to see where they are when the injured players come back. I think the Bruins, Pens and Caps may not be as good as they were last year, but they I’ll anyone jump over them? It seems very hard to make up ground when you have the loser point

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I get what you're saying and your points are correct, but if you read through all the original posts it started with someone making the comparison between the two team drafting and saying they are far and above better than us, which I just dont agree with, not like I'm going around here saying we should be happy with how the team as been run because we've drafted better than the Bolts in round 1 and 2.
Yeah I didn’t go all the way back, so thanks for the recap. And I get what you’re saying as well. But here’s the view I have. If Tampa has drafted poorly recently, why is doing slightly better than them an accomplishment? Shouldn’t the goal be to do far better? Like I said this isn’t about anyone else other than Don Sweeney and the Bruins to me and while there are examples of worse drafting that doesn’t mean Sweeney has done a good job with that. He hasn’t. At all.

Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I agree, but Carlo, while good is way overrated here IMO and I don’t mean it in a bad way

I still think the team is good. They need to see where they are when the injured players come back. I think the Bruins, Pens and Caps may not be as good as they were last year, but they I’ll anyone jump over them? It seems very hard to make up ground when you have the loser point
I agree on both of these points. The team is still solid, but trending down no doubt IMO. Their best players are aging and/or coming off major surgeries. It’s not a positive outlook, despite the fact they will have enough talent to at least hang around.

As for Carlo, he’s a soft, 2nd pair dman with no offensive talent. He’s absolutely a valuable piece and quality player, but IMO he fits the bill of expendable if another team overvalues his size. He doesn’t play big and won’t put up points. He’s also not a contributor to a transition game. He’s just an excellent defender, which obviously has value.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree on both of these points. The team is still solid, but trending down no doubt IMO. Their best players are aging and/or coming off major surgeries. It’s not a positive outlook, despite the fact they will have enough talent to at least hang around.

As for Carlo, he’s a soft, 2nd pair dman with no offensive talent. He’s absolutely a valuable piece and quality player, but IMO he fits the bill of expendable if another team overvalues his size. He doesn’t play big and won’t put up points. He’s also not a contributor to a transition game. He’s just an excellent defender, which obviously has value.
Plus he gets hurt a lot and has a concussion history. If anyone wanted to overpay for a guy like that you make that move.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

For me Carlo just hasn’t been close to the same player the last two years that we saw in 18/19 and 19/20. He’s had a pretty big regression the last two years and I wonder how much the concussions are affecting him. He hasn’t been the same player at all.

Reactions: Gordoff and NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
For me Carlo just hasn’t been close to the same player the last two years that we saw in 18/19 and 19/20. He’s had a pretty big regression the last two years and I wonder how much the concussions are affecting him. He hasn’t been the same player at all.
I think that's why they won't deal him, best bet is to give him some time and hope that once he gets past some of the lingering concussion issues he can return to the player we expect him to be.

Reactions: Absurdity

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It will be nice to see how he does with a different coach and not a zone defensive system.

What makes you believe a new coach is going to toss out the Bruin's defensive structure in their own zone?

They might, but the only real alternative is to go with a man-to-man scheme (which is what Eakin's had Lindholm playing in Anaheim). While both systems have their merits and drawbacks, given the overall lack of speed on the Bruins particularly up front, I'm not sure a new coach is going to instill a man-to-man scheme over the current Zone D/Collapsing system with the current personnel.

The truth is Brandon Carlo is a 2nd pair complimentary defensive D-man. He needs a quality partner and the right partner.

That's not Matt Gryz or any of the other guys they've rolled out on his pairing since Krug left.

If there is a one silver lining to McAvoy's injury is that we'll likely get Lindholm-Carlo as a pairing and it should help both players.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What makes you believe a new coach is going to toss out the Bruin's defensive structure in their own zone?

They might, but the only real alternative is to go with a man-to-man scheme (which is what Eakin's had Lindholm playing in Anaheim). While both systems have their merits and drawbacks, given the overall lack of speed on the Bruins particularly up front, I'm not sure a new coach is going to instill a man-to-man scheme over the current Zone D/Collapsing system with the current personnel.

The truth is Brandon Carlo is a 2nd pair complimentary defensive D-man. He needs a quality partner and the right partner.

That's not Matt Gryz or any of the other guys they've rolled out on his pairing since Krug left.

If there is a one silver lining to McAvoy's injury is that we'll likely get Lindholm-Carlo as a pairing and it should help both players.
We don't know, but there is a difference playing zone and playing for the puck versus playing zone and playing for the man.

Cassidy implemented the former and while it works, it doesn't work very well in the playoffs when teams are willing to outwork you. It often leaves the defense flat-footed so faster teams and teams that are really good on the forecheck give the defense problems which leads to more time stuck in their own zone and little time to get the puck out for a clean breakout into the offensive zone.

When Cassidy first started he harped on the defense retrieving pucks and making quick breakouts to the neutral zone either by having the defense skate it out or with quick passes. It was a breath of fresh air in comparison to Claude's system. That changed over the years and maybe Cassidy didn't think he had the horses to play that way? Who knows.

I think injuries and trying to be the Chara on his line has hindered Carlo's progress. I absolutely agree with your take pairing him with Lindholm. I think it would be beneficial to both Lindholm and Carlo and maybe Carlo will be able to play more of his game not having to worry about covering for his defensive partner.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Well sir I'm glad you aren't running the show
Extensive injury history and steep decline in play over the past couple years. He’s a shell of his 18/19 and 19/20 seasons currently. He’s probably one concussion away from being ondrej Kase territory.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad