Management Don Sweeney explains why Bruce Cassidy was fired and a rebuild is possible - UNEDITED

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sweeney made a great decision here, once again. Cassidy had to go and this guy has won in the playoffs and had lots of success. He's also known as a players coach and that's exactly what a few guys (hopefully Krejci) needed.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Sweeney made a great decision here, once again. Cassidy had to go and this guy has won in the playoffs and had lots of success. He's also known as a players coach and that's exactly what a few guys (hopefully Krejci) needed.
''this guy''. Who?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He beat a team he wasn't supposed to beat, which Cassidy has never done.
That’s a pretty weird thing to say makes a guy better. Cassidy’s record and getting to a Stanley Cup pretty much trumps that, but I get it one is now a Bruins and one is not so that automatically makes the current Bruin better

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That’s a pretty weird thing to say makes a guy better. Cassidy’s record and getting to a Stanley Cup pretty much trumps that, but I get it one is now a Bruins and one is not so that automatically makes the current Bruin better

Go ahead and quote where I said he's better than Cassidy! Oh wait, I didn't say that. Typical.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Go ahead and quote where I said he's better than Cassidy! Oh wait, I didn't say that. Typical.
Cassidy had to go….this guy has had a lot of success in the play-offs…he’s had lots of success…he’s a players coach….exactly what a few guys needed. Sounds like you think he was better than Cassidy, thanks for clearing it up, he obviously isn’t in the same stratosphere as a coach at least yet.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Cassidy had to go….this guy has had a lot of success in the play-offs…he’s had lots of success…he’s a players coach….exactly what a few guys needed. Sounds like you think he was better than Cassidy, thanks for clearing it up, he obviously isn’t in the same stratosphere as a coach at least yet.

What the heck is this garbage? Bring the receipts, Lou.

• Haha
Reactions: Over the volcano

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Tampa is about five years behind the current team in Boston age wise. They have a ton of miles but they have had a better result than Boston. They drafted in a better spot on some of their guys (Stamkos, Hedman years). I think their GM’s deadline trades were difference makers. They went for gusto on most of them, where as Sweeney circled the edges and overpaid for non difference makers.
One thing about rebuilding, you need to do that when there is a high end player coming out and not a meh year. There a lot of teams picking high but the talent isn’t there. You can’t draft SEVEN Bergerons every year.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
You can benchmark yourself against whomever you want. But others get to say it's a garbage comp in return, no?

Like I said at the very start of my involvement in this, it's not about how they've done when compared to others. It's about how this team and the cap, and the construction of the roster is under this front office. And at best you can say it's lacking. Like I also said from my interjection, this is and has been a one line team during Sweeney's entire tenure. It's a top line and then a bunch of bottom six guys for the most part, which is why they continually get bounced in the first round. Does that sound like a good job being done? I mean I get that it does to Jacobs since they get a series of playoff gate revenue, but as fans, does it feel like the current group has done enough in all facets of the job to be happy and satisfied or does it feel more like the Sinden days of "we qualified for the playoffs 27 consecutive years" kind of deal? I know which one it feels like to me. I lived through the first version of Sinden and his bullshit. I have very little interest in seeing Harry 2.0 touting the same f***ing nonsense as proof he's doing a good job. He's not. This roster is mostly low grade dog food with a rapidly aging top line.
I'll pick that nit. The Bruins have lost in the first round twice in the past 6 playoff seasons. That's a strange definition of "continually." Yeah, a bunch of those of times they got bounced in the 2nd round. Still...

And, sure, they have quite often played like a one-line team during Sweeney's tenure, but if a one-line team can go to game 7 of the SCF, then maybe that is the best reason not to have fired Cassidy.

Reactions: LSCII

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Im honestly torn on how I felt two weeks ago to today. Bergeron was penciled for retirement, announcements of half the team being off until December and firing a winning coach when a huge part of the problem is the lack of youth being drafted to succeed in their proper environment (looking at Seny. If I remember, he was one of the youngest in the draft. Dum and Dumber dug his grave ).

After the firing, rumors of bergy coming back (this is just the needed time off to think instead of instantly saying to come back and imo but you never know), Debrusk back, more podcasts on Cassidy having some roughness around the edge (this isnt a bad thing. Just works for some players and doesnt for others) with players ..

My stance on Sweeneys presser went from => "im better than thou" to "stuck in a hard place". How would one say, "We didn't like that he was calling players out/players were frustrated"? Would that not be similar to Cassidy throwing a player after a game under the bus?

TLDR;
My stance has gone from . Keep the coach fire the rest to fire them all. I think sweeney had to deal with a needed coaching change. Unfortunately next years GM may not want Monty burns

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
If by make the team you mean forced upon the coaching staff - then yes.
Good along the walls and crashing the net , Big and soft hitting. Bergy and Marchy would set him up for a tic-tac-fumble or tic-tac- pass back anddddd now the play goes back the other way.

Definitely not forced upon the coaching staff. String of consistent injuries to the third and fourth line in 2013-2014 saw him slide in .

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Im honestly torn on how I felt two weeks ago to today. Bergeron was penciled for retirement, announcements of half the team being off until December and firing a winning coach when a huge part of the problem is the lack of youth being drafted to succeed in their proper environment (looking at Seny. If I remember, he was one of the youngest in the draft. Dum and Dumber dug his grave ).

After the firing, rumors of bergy coming back (this is just the needed time off to think instead of instantly saying to come back and imo but you never know), Debrusk back, more podcasts on Cassidy having some roughness around the edge (this isnt a bad thing. Just works for some players and doesnt for others) with players ..

My stance on Sweeneys presser went from => "im better than thou" to "stuck in a hard place". How would one say, "We didn't like that he was calling players out/players were frustrated"? Would that not be similar to Cassidy throwing a player after a game under the bus?

TLDR;
My stance has gone from . Keep the coach fire the rest to fire them all. I think sweeney had to deal with a needed coaching change. Unfortunately next years GM may not want Monty burns
I think a lot of different things can be true. I think the brass legit thinks Bruce is a very good coach. I also think they see with some of the signings recently they are going to have to incorporate some young players. I don’t think any of the three are perfect (cam, Sweeney or Cassidy) but I do think all three do their jobs as a whole well.

Past three seasons they have won two playoff series and that’s not going to fly forever. Montgomery has a three year deal, so if you have more speed bumps, all three will be gone before the three years is up.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
average time of contract for a Cassidy stay was three years+, not 6 going on 7, and it was also the contract at the end of 2023/24 was up.... posters forget Cassidy was elevated from Providence when Claude was jettisoned (same MO as when discussing Leach prior to hire by SEA)

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
average time of contract for a Cassidy stay was three years+, not 6 going on 7, and it was also the contract at the end of 2023/24 was up.... posters forget Cassidy was elevated from Providence when Claude was jettisoned (same MO as when discussing Leach prior to hire by SEA)

Nobody forgets where Cassidy came from, HUTCH. Nobody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad