Management Don Sweeney explains why Bruce Cassidy was fired and a rebuild is possible - UNEDITED

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sweeney has also got nice late additions pasta macvoy Carlo swayman etc...Tampa did get hedman and stamkos 1-2 overall that itself sets you up for a long time with major building blocks also you can argue but without #88 in net they don't even make the finals any of the last 3 year's let alone win.. and they r only one team ...the rest of the teams particularly in the east haven't much better than Sweeney I'm telling you the only way you can do it the right way is to suck for a few years and get high draft picks that's not going to happen here nor should I need to make smart bold trades and have a lot of luck my friend
Pasta wasn’t a Sweeney draft pick and McAvoy wasn’t a late addition.

Reactions: Gordoff and Estlin

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Colorado yes, but Tampa is not really a good comparison in this. They are just infinitely better at drafting at all levels of the draft than the bruins.

They’ve been able to find quality players in later rounds since 2015. Ross Colton had a great season for them and was a 2016 4th round pick, Anthony cirelli in the 3rd round of 2015. Even lesser players who have carved out a role like Taylor raddysh on the 4th line putting up double digit goals in his rookie year. Or Matthieu Joseph who was also a 2015 4th rounder.

They’ve honestly just nailed the later rounds of the draft. That doesn’t even include guys like Brayden point in the 3rd round of 2014.

So ya while they got Hedman and stamkos 1 and 2 they backed it up with great drafting in later rounds of point, Kucherov, Killorn. Never mind the newer young guys being implemented now too.

It’s really been a scouting master class at all levels for Tampa. It’s no joke why they’ve been so good.

If you look back to 2015 it's not so great, easily worse than Boston since Sweeney started.

They blew 1st rounders on Howden, Cal Foote, Nolan Foote and haven't drafted a decent NHLer since 2016. They also blew it on Drouin in 2013.

The Bruins drafted McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, Debrusk, Carlo, Lauzon and Swayman in that period.

That's a far better haul than Cirelli and Colton.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If you look back to 2015 it's not so great, easily worse than Boston since Sweeney started.

They blew 1st rounders on Howden, Cal Foote, Nolan Foote and haven't drafted a decent NHLer since 2016. They also blew it on Drouin in 2013.

The Bruins drafted McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, Debrusk, Carlo, Lauzon and Swayman in that period.

That's a far better haul than Cirelli and Colton.
I man the post was about drafting later in rounds because the original poster said tampa has only had success due to drafting hedman and stamkos early.

Sure if you want to include Boston’s high picks when Tampa didn’t have high picks in the same time frame we can do that. I was trying to compare later round picks which were more comparable.

I mean hell you should be getting a stud where McAvoy was drafted.

If you want to compare similar picks, of later round picks like the original topic of discussion was then ya it’s different.

If we take the high picks out in McAvoy, stamkos, hedman its

Bergy, Marchand, Carlo drafted in later rounds

Vs

Point, kucherov, cirelli, Palat, Colton, Killorn, Raddysh.

That’s just players who are still on the teams and drafted after the first round. So while yes the bruins have hits like McAvoy/ pasta and Tampa has stamkos and Hedman. The difference is Tampa has surrounded their high picks with elite talent at all levels of the draft.

Also “they blew first rounder on Howden” yet you use frederic as a positive draft for the bruins lol explain that one please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I man the post was about drafting later in rounds because the original poster said tampa has only had success due to drafting hedman and stamkos early.Sure if you want to include Boston’s high picks when Tampa didn’t have high picks in the same time frame we can do that. I was trying to compare later round picks which were more comparable. I mean hell you should be getting a stud where McAvoy was drafted.

Vs

That’s just players who are still on the teams and drafted after the first round. So while yes the bruins have hits like McAvoy/ pasta and Tampa has stamkos and Hedman. The difference is Tampa has surrounded their high picks with elite talent at all levels of the draft.

Also “they blew first rounder on Howden” yet you use frederic as a positive draft for the bruins lol explain that one please.

There is a huge difference between drafting first or second and drafting 14th.

Not many studs like McAvoy drafted at 14.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I man the post was about drafting later in rounds because the original poster said tampa has only had success due to drafting hedman and stamkos early.

Sure if you want to include Boston’s high picks when Tampa didn’t have high picks in the same time frame we can do that. I was trying to compare later round picks which were more comparable.

If you want to compare similar picks, of later round picks like the original topic of discussion was then ya it’s different.

Vs

Lol. Cal Foote was drafted at EXACTLY the same draft position as McAvoy. It's the perfect one-to-one comparison.

Yet Sweeney gets no credit because you're supposed to be getting a stud Norris-level defensemen there. While TB gets fringe NHLer and that doesn't count.

If you want to re-check this thread, it's about Don Sweeney, who has been the GM since 2015. Since then on both teams the guys drafted beyond the 1st round are:

Carlo, Swayman, Lauzon, Lindgren, Vladar
vs
Cirelli, Joseph, Colton

Number of 2nd and 3rd round picks:
Boston: 12
Tampa: 17

Somehow we're spinning that as TB is better at drafting than Sweeney in that period? This place is only good for comedy.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Lol. Cal Foote was drafted at EXACTLY the same draft position as McAvoy. It's the perfect one-to-one comparison.

Yet Sweeney gets no credit because you're supposed to be getting a stud Norris-level defensemen there. While TB gets fringe NHLer and that doesn't count.

If you want to re-check this thread, it's about Don Sweeney, who has been the GM since 2015. Since then on both teams the guys drafted beyond the 1st round are:

vs
Cirelli, Joseph, Colton

Somehow we're spinning that as TB is better at drafting than Sweeney in that period? This place is only good for comedy.
Yes and cirelli, Colton, joseph, Raddysh is better than Carlo, swayman, Lauzon, lindgren and Vlader.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

vs
Cirelli, Joseph, Colton

who was the 3rd you got from CGY for Vladar

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Keep the comedy coming Rico!

You honestly think it’s not? Swaymans great, Carlo has been on a decline. None of the other guys even play for the bruins anymore.

Cirelli top 5 selke candidate putting up over .50 ppg. Ross Colton .50 ppg coming off a 22 goals season. Raddysh putting up better numbers than Frederic. Then Joseph no longer on Tampa any more.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You honestly think it’s not? Swaymans great, Carlo has been on a decline. None of the other guys even play for the bruins anymore.

Cirelli top 5 selke candidate putting up over .50 ppg. Ross Colton .50 ppg coming off a 22 goals season. Raddysh putting up better numbers than Frederic. Then Joseph no longer on Tampa any more.

More comedy! Rico doesn't even know where Raddysh plays!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ya he got traded half way through the year. Point still stand tho and he was a contributor to their team for the majority of the past season when they went to the cup.

What’s comedy is you taking my post, changing the entire subject of the post and trying to act like Tampa who has legit built a borderline dynasty through the draft, has been a worse drafting team than the bruins.

That’s what’s comedy.

Reactions: Gordoff and Estlin

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Careful - not allowed to say anything negative about Tampa's GM. It's ok to downplay Carlo, or to say that the drafting of Lindgren doesn't count since he's a legit Top 4 defensman somewhere else. And skip over Lauzon even though he's established now. But can't be negative about the GM, even if you also say he's done some very good things.

Ya he got traded half way through the year. Point still stand tho and he was a contributor to their team for the majority of the past season when they went to the cup.

What’s comedy is you taking my post, changing the entire subject of the post and trying to act like Tampa who has legit built a borderline dynasty through the draft, has been a worse drafting team than the bruins.

That’s what’s comedy.
He had 12 points in 53 games Rico. Come on.

His point is post-2016. Which is all of BriseBois' tenure as well. What's wrong about it?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Careful - not allowed to say anything negative about Tampa's GM. It's ok to downplay Carlo, or to say that the drafting of Lindgren doesn't count since he's a legit Top 4 defensman somewhere else. And skip over Lauzon even though he's established now. But can't be negative about the GM, even if you also say he's done some very good things.
I was specifically talking about players that impacted the team within the past year.

If we want to start factoring in players who are traded but drafted by the team then we have to include D’Angelo who just destroyed the bruins in the playoffs, Namestinkov, gudas, etc.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

His point is post-2016. Which is all of BriseBois' tenure as well. What's wrong about it?
Ya he was a later round draft pick that was on the Tampa roster. One that in his rookie year has one less point than Trent frederic.

Ok well then he should make his point separately from commenting on a discussion that I was in that wasn’t talking about brisebois. He came in and tried changing the entire topic of discussion.

everett rats

Oct 13, 2017

Vs

I never mentioned Fredric I'm not a fan of his game but look the guys you mentioned the first three kooch corelli and palat I'll give you credibility but the other three Colton killoron reddysh r know better than what we have here the only difference between them and in Boston is McAvoy is not headman as of the moment and none of our forwards are at the level of stamkos in his prime but the biggest factor is the goaltender in fact I'm willing to bet if you switch goalies Boston would be Tampa in 5 games the bruins Sweeney did great on Lindholm trade genius in contract $ to the top players... The Gap is not as large as you make it out to be and Sweeney has also done a lot better than a lot of other teams drafting as well you only mention Tampa but you feel to mention other teams that don't even have a sniff at the playoffs every year how would you like to be in that position? The draft is a crap shoot look at the year mckar was at #4. Patrick from everybody's indication was a clear-cut number one you just don't know you have to get lucky Sweeney is no different he's only under the microscope because of that 2015 draft when he played the percentages and picked scheychen because he was ranked by everybody ahead of brazal Conner etceven what the most perfect Scotch you got to get lucky you got a hold of the player wants to play for your organization doesn't get injured and is what people expect them to be not always the case as we seen in the draft that I reference to the bruins are a lot closer to be in a contender than not being a contender they're currently 9th in Vegas to win the cup what do you think those odds will be if they can add a player or two between now in September now you're talking about closing in on top five after that my friend it's just the luck of the draw you seem like you know hockey you would know that whoever would have expected Tampa to get swept by Columbus a few years back would you pick the Canadians to be in the final last year or Dallas the year before you never know my friend

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

100%.

Carlo has six years as a top contributor on the Bruins and somehow rookie 20-goal scorer Ross Colton is a better pick? They're the same age too!!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I never mentioned Fredric I'm not a fan of his game but look the guys you mentioned the first three kooch corelli and palat I'll give you credibility but the other three Colton killoron reddysh r know better than what we have here the only difference between them and in Boston is McAvoy is not headman as of the moment and none of our forwards are at the level of stamkos in his prime but the biggest factor is the goaltender in fact I'm willing to bet if you switch goalies Boston would be Tampa in 5 games the bruins Sweeney did great on Lindholm trade genius in contract $ to the top players... The Gap is not as large as you make it out to be and Sweeney has also done a lot better than a lot of other teams drafting as well you only mention Tampa but you feel to mention other teams that don't even have a sniff at the playoffs every year how would you like to be in that position? The draft is a crap shoot look at the year mckar was at #4. Patrick from everybody's indication was a clear-cut number one you just don't know you have to get lucky Sweeney is no different he's only under the microscope because of that 2015 draft when he played the percentages and picked scheychen because he was ranked by everybody ahead of brazal Conner etceven what the most perfect Scotch you got to get lucky you got a hold of the player wants to play for your organization doesn't get injured and is what people expect them to be not always the case as we seen in the draft that I reference to the bruins are a lot closer to be in a contender than not being a contender they're currently 9th in Vegas to win the cup what do you think those odds will be if they can add a player or two between now in September now you're talking about closing in on top five after that my friend it's just the luck of the draw you seem like you know hockey you would know that whoever would have expected Tampa to get swept by Columbus a few years back would you pick the Canadians to be in the final last year or Dallas the year before you never know my friend
WTF is going on. I know you weren’t talking about Frederic. You just quoted a post between me and BruinsBTN where I was speaking to him about how he labeled Frederic as a good pick, but Howden was a waste or a bust. Yet Howdens had a better career.

This post had nothing to do with you.

See what happens when BruinsBTN comes in and completely changes a discussion. Now we have Everett rats confused thinking I’m talking to him when actually I was responding to BruinsBTN post when he changed the topic.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

That’s what’s comedy.
No, your exact point was that "cirelli, Colton, joseph, Raddysh is better than Carlo, swayman, Lauzon, lindgren and Vlader".

That's laughable to begin with. And to make the point you discounted all the guys who don't play for the Bruins anymore, which is bizarre to start with. Then you embarrassed yourself by not even realizing that Raddysh was traded. None of that to say that the prior point was about whether Sweeney was better at drafting in the later rounds than Tampa.... which he obviously has been since he arrived in 2015.

Oh and you also seem to have forgot what thread we're in. It's at the top of the page.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No, your exact point was that "cirelli, Colton, joseph, Raddysh is better than Carlo, swayman, Lauzon, lindgren and Vlader".

That's laughable to begin with. And to make the point you discounted all the guys who don't play for the Bruins anymore, which is bizarre to start with. Then you embarrassed yourself by not even realizing that Raddysh was traded. None of that to say that the prior point was about whether Sweeney was better at drafting in the later rounds than Tampa.... which he obviously has been since he arrived in 2015.

Oh and you also seem to have forgot what thread we're in. It's at the top of the page.
It’s not laughable at all. Look at every post I’ve made in this discussion that you tried changing the topic to. Every post has been about player still playing on those teams.

You came in and changed the topic of discussion so much that Everett rats thinks I’m responding to him on posts that I’m quote responding to you.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It’s not laughable at all. Look at every post I’ve made in this discussion that you tried changing the topic to. Every post has been about player still playing on those teams.

You came in and changed the topic of discussion so much that Everett rats thinks I’m responding to him on posts that I’m quote responding to you.
Did you write this? Or did someone hack your account?

"cirelli, Colton, joseph, Raddysh is better than Carlo, swayman, Lauzon, lindgren and Vlader".

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

When looking at how well a GM has drafted, why would one toss out the players he drafted and then traded?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Agreed and that’s why my original post specifically took out all the first round picks and I was emphasizing later round picks like Palat, killorn, point, kucherov, cirelli, Colton. Until BruinBTN came in and decided to completely change the scope of the discussion.
Palat, Killorn, Point, Kucherov were incredible later picks. By Steve Yzerman (except Killorn, who was drafted 15 years ago). Before Sweeney took over.

That's his point. Which should matter. Because Yzerman is in Detroit now (and hasn't come close to replicating his success there either).

Reactions: NDiesel

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Palat, Killorn, Point, Kucherov were incredible later picks. By Steve Yzerman (except Killorn, who was drafted 15 years ago). Before Sweeney took over.

That's his point. Which should matter. Because Yzerman is in Detroit now (and hasn't come close to replicating his success there either).
No lmao that wasn’t his point. He came in changing the discussion talking about since 2015 and talking about players not even on the roster . My point the whole time has been talking about roster players still playing for the team. That’s why I’m earlier posts I left off the Dangelos, nemestkitovs, and gudas for Tampa.

The original post I responded to was talking about a broad scope of recent picks and older picks like stamkos and hedman.

I swear you guys don’t go back and read the discussion going on. You see the most recent post, pick one line of an entire post and completely change the discussion based on one line of supporting evidence of an overall discussion.

When looking at how well a GM has drafted, why would one toss out the players he drafted and then traded?
Because the discussion wasn’t about a single GM being Sweeney, brisebois, Yzerman or chiarelli. It was the cumulative players on the teams that have been drafted lol not about a single GM as the players being talked about spanned multiple GMs for each team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad