Speculation: Don Sweeney at Oilers/Flames game

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Pretty spot analysis on for an opposing fan. Good job.

I personally would be very hesitant to make the Nurse for Krug deal*, but it certainly has its merits.

* With Hitch getting the team to 7-2-1 since taking over, I am loathe to pull the trigger on a deal that helps (a lot admittedly) in the short term when 1) trade deadline is coming up, we could get a rental and 2) Nurse can be a very unique piece of a championship team that is still a year or two away, and 3) Bouchard I do expect will be able to put up Krug-like offense as early as next season...

Krug's a great player, and certainly great value for present-day Nurse, but long term I like the look of a Larsson, Klef, Nurse, Bouchard top-4 better.

Purely to be the devils advocate I would say that it's always better to have a backup plan than have to shoehorn a player into a spot they aren't ready with expectations (Bouchard expected to contribute like many of the top offensive D next year right away is crazy).

Not to mention, what if he is kind of ready? You can use him in those situations but if he starts struggling like all young (and especially young D) players do, you have Krug to fall back on. Not to mention injury protection AND essentially retooling the defense to be more suited to modern hockey.

And at the worst case scenario you can flip Krug for more assets next deadline and likely get a ton back.

Not to say it isn't a risk to move a player like Nurse with his toolset but at the same time.. The NHL is passing those guys by by the day.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Purely to be the devils advocate I would say that it's always better to have a backup plan than have to shoehorn a player into a spot they aren't ready with expectations (Bouchard expected to contribute like many of the top offensive D next year right away is crazy).

Not to mention, what if he is kind of ready? You can use him in those situations but if he starts struggling like all young (and especially young D) players do, you have Krug to fall back on. Not to mention injury protection AND essentially retooling the defense to be more suited to modern hockey.

And at the worst case scenario you can flip Krug for more assets next deadline and likely get a ton back.

Not to say it isn't a risk to move a player like Nurse with his toolset but at the same time.. The NHL is passing those guys by by the day.

I was with you right up to the point you said that the NHL is passing guys like Nurse by... I mean, that is just so far from the truth. Now, I'm not saying it is a certainty that Nurse can be an effective shutdown guy at this level... but the idea of a shutdown guy who can skate like he does? A mean Vlasic? Any GM would kill for that. I'm not sure what you were implying with your comments, so stop me if I'm putting words in your mouth, but it's not like we're expecting Nurse to turn into a Volchenkov, or an Adam Foote (read: lead footed, hard-nosed shut down guys). We're talking about a guy who's probably the second or third best skater on our team. That's the package that comes along so rarely. It does not get "passed" by a modern NHL.

As for Bouchard, he was ready to play this year, but was sent down purely for the avoidance of expansion draft.

Anyway... if we were still struggling with Hitch, I'd be inclined to cut bait and fill the obvious void (a RD PMD) and Krug is an excellent fit... but we are rolling presently and I still envision a championship team 2-3 years from now that has more need of Nurse than Krug. I may not necessarily be in the majority with that comment.

Reactions: spaghtti and voxel

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought Ryan Strome would have been a good fit for the Bruins. But he has been traded. Can't imagine Ryan Spooner returning to Boston? They need a fill in Center until Bergy is ready to go again, and for insurance purposes if someone gets hurt again.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Poolparty for Gryz + one of the young near NHL ready forwards (Bjork/Cehlarik/JFK/etc... this is where the haggling is)

Matt Grzelcyk is a high end puck mover, is cheap, and has been playing on both sides in Boston's top 4 (but is redundant with Krug). He can give them puck moving and PP NOW and is still useful when Bouchard is around.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
As much as I'd love this, highly doubt the Oilers get someone as good as Donato in addition to Krug. Spooner would be a dump.

Yup. Probably more like Cehlarik (who Chiarelli knows) or maybe Bjork

It will be interesting to see what happens. Seems like the Oilers would love to grab Krug. But there are obstacles such as who the Bruins want in return and if Krug is willing to waive his NTC.

Like I stated on another post, this may not be too difficult if you relay the message that future plans with that player doesn't look bright/no extension possibility

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
remember how the Bruins couldn't get the puck out of their own end against Tampa once Krug went down?

yeah lets not go down that road again. I'm not even the biggest Krug fan but he is so underrated

and Bruins fans for some reason have a hard-on for big physical players, yet when we get them we complain that they're too slow/not scoring enough :laugh:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Poolparty for Gryz + one of the young near NHL ready forwards (Bjork/Cehlarik/JFK/etc... this is where the haggling is)

Matt Grzelcyk is a high end puck mover, is cheap, and has been playing on both sides in Boston's top 4 (but is redundant with Krug). He can give them puck moving and PP NOW and is still useful when Bouchard is around.

Pulju for Gryz + Bjork? Sure.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
speculation from today's Boston Globe:

Could the Bruins trade Torey Krug for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? - The Boston Globe

If Sweeney and old pal Peter Chiarelli want to go blockbuster, why not explore a deal involving Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Torey Krug?
Sure, NHL GMs rarely trade high-profile players with term. But as noted above, these rosters have issues. In making a swap, they could address them and maximize return on two sizable assets.
Krug was of interest to the Oilers last summer. He might look more appealing now. After a pair of goals and three assists over the weekend, he climbed to T-19 in defenseman scoring (2-15—17). Krug, just 19 games (five weeks) into his season, seems to have shaken any rust from his offseason (and preseason) ankle injuries.

All forwards would get a lift with an elite distributor like Krug, 27, who is due $5.25 million against the cap the next two years. Say he maintains his current production (40-plus points) until that deal runs out. Are the Bruins adding $2 million-plus to his wallet, with Charlie McAvoy on his second contract (Matt Grzelcyk, Brandon Carlo and Jeremy Lauzon)?
His trade value might be highest now. Similar for Nugent-Hopkins, 25, who carries a slightly larger hit ($6 million the next three).

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

If Sweeney and old pal Peter Chiarelli want to go blockbuster, why not explore a deal involving Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Torey Krug?
Sure, NHL GMs rarely trade high-profile players with term. But as noted above, these rosters have issues. In making a swap, they could address them and maximize return on two sizable assets.
Krug was of interest to the Oilers last summer. He might look more appealing now. After a pair of goals and three assists over the weekend, he climbed to T-19 in defenseman scoring (2-15—17). Krug, just 19 games (five weeks) into his season, seems to have shaken any rust from his offseason (and preseason) ankle injuries.

All forwards would get a lift with an elite distributor like Krug, 27, who is due $5.25 million against the cap the next two years. Say he maintains his current production (40-plus points) until that deal runs out. Are the Bruins adding $2 million-plus to his wallet, with Charlie McAvoy on his second contract (Matt Grzelcyk, Brandon Carlo and Jeremy Lauzon)?
His trade value might be highest now. Similar for Nugent-Hopkins, 25, who carries a slightly larger hit ($6 million the next three).

We're not trading one of our only three good forwards. Nuge will not be moved. Period.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Gryz is the guy opposing teams should be look to add.

1 year left at a fair price and I believe is a RFA again.

He's shown flashes of being a top 4 guy. Can also transition the puck very well and isn't too bad in his own zone at all considering his size.

Reactions: wintersej

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

I don’t think this is good for Boston. Is this good Wally? I’m not feeling it.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I was with you right up to the point you said that the NHL is passing guys like Nurse by... I mean, that is just so far from the truth. Now, I'm not saying it is a certainty that Nurse can be an effective shutdown guy at this level... but the idea of a shutdown guy who can skate like he does? A mean Vlasic? Any GM would kill for that. I'm not sure what you were implying with your comments, so stop me if I'm putting words in your mouth, but it's not like we're expecting Nurse to turn into a Volchenkov, or an Adam Foote (read: lead footed, hard-nosed shut down guys). We're talking about a guy who's probably the second or third best skater on our team. That's the package that comes along so rarely. It does not get "passed" by a modern NHL.

Yeah, I don't get the Nurse comment at all. He can skate pretty well. Offensive IQ is a bit iffy but that was to be expected if you watched him in junior. I have similar opinions about Noah Dobson - whose offense may not translate in the NHL but can skate and has a decent shot.

I just don't see Bruins and Oilers trading. Neither are making shakeup trades as they are competing and "doing alright"

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Im sure its a Chia special. McDavid for future considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad