Speculation: Don Sweeney at Oilers/Flames game

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Better passer, more responsible two-way, less physical, less offensive upside

I can't agree with the "less offensive upside" part here. Czarnik has a lot of offense in the AHL, he has been less than impressive at the NHL level. In the past I thought at times it looked like he was trying hard but accomplishing a whole lot of nothing. It's like the game is thought at too high of a level in the NHL for him. He has reminded me of Nail Yakupov on several occasions. Not exactly the same, but there were some similarities.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
As far as JFK and Vladar goes, the value probably isn't terribly far off.

Why does Calgary downgrade in current ability, talent level, and potential for a player that could arguably be the 6th best goaltender in our organization? Calgary already has an abundance of young goalie talent trying to find icetime.

Horrible trade for Calgary.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
sooo gryz and cehlarik for puljujarvi ?
jankowski? bennett? lazar reclamation project?
maybe flames fans can chime in what is needed (since we are all keyboard gms)

In terms of Jankowski/Bennett/Lazar?
Jankowski: Likely unavailable, outside of an over-payment. Fits what we need. Big bodied, contract control, can kind of play up and down the bottom 6 pretty seamlessly.
Bennett: We still don't know what we have from this kid, and it's frustrating. Takes over 5 games, then disappears for 10. Really tough to gauge. Might have more value to the Flames than any other team. I don't think the B's really have anything in the popper that'd kind of make sense, in terms of a trade.
Lazar: He's doing well in the AHL, but I mean, his value is still limited. If Flames are open to giving this guy a new start, then really anything.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
In terms of Jankowski/Bennett/Lazar?
Jankowski: Likely unavailable, outside of an over-payment. Fits what we need. Big bodied, contract control, can kind of play up and down the bottom 6 pretty seamlessly.
Bennett: We still don't know what we have from this kid, and it's frustrating. Takes over 5 games, then disappears for 10. Really tough to gauge. Might have more value to the Flames than any other team. I don't think the B's really have anything in the popper that'd kind of make sense, in terms of a trade.
Lazar: He's doing well in the AHL, but I mean, his value is still limited. If Flames are open to giving this guy a new start, then really anything.
nice analysis, thanks. what is it that calgary is looking to upgrade? feel like your team is in a good spot right now

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
sooo gryz and cehlarik for puljujarvi ?
jankowski? bennett? lazar reclamation project?
maybe flames fans can chime in what is needed (since we are all keyboard gms)

We have more depth defencemen than we know what to do with - particularly lefties, especially with Sekera’s return on the horizon, and Gravel has been really solid for us since Hitch took over. Cehlarik doesn’t bring anything we particularly need.

We need forward upgrades - distinct, clear, and present ones, not hopes and maybes and the Bruins are just as top heavy as we are.

It’s worth noting that Hitch trusts and believes in Puljujarvi. He asked for him to be recalled, has been increasing his role and responsibility, and has been getting him on the PK in practice and expects him to be there in games in the next little while. He’s building a solid defensive foundation with the kid so he doesn’t worry about production. He shouldn’t be available for lesser bits.

Reactions: dreamcomehere

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
nice analysis, thanks. what is it that calgary is looking to upgrade? feel like your team is in a good spot right now

Umm.
Not much, nothing I think Boston can really help us with. There's a belief that another top 6C would put us over the top. I don't think Boston has those to spare.

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
We have more depth defencemen than we know what to do with - particularly lefties, especially with Sekera’s return on the horizon, and Gravel has been really solid for us since Hitch took over. Cehlarik doesn’t bring anything we particularly need.

We need forward upgrades - distinct, clear, and present ones, not hopes and maybes and the Bruins are just as top heavy as we are.

It’s worth noting that Hitch trusts and believes in Puljujarvi. He asked for him to be recalled, has been increasing his role and responsibility, and has been getting him on the PK in practice and expects him to be there in games in the next little while. He’s building a solid defensive foundation with the kid so he doesn’t worry about production. He shouldn’t be available for lesser bits.

We need to resign McAvoy & Carlo this summer. What are you willing to give us for David Backes??

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
How about if we retain $2.5 Million, giving Backes a 3.5 million cap hit
Backes would be no better than 4th best C on the Oilers. Even if our idiot GM didnt put us in cap purgatory, why on earth would we take on a declining Backes even at $3.5M?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Better passer, more responsible two-way, less physical, less offensive upside

Career P/GP
Czarnik - 0.28
JFK - 0.29

^Czarnik is 26 w/ 78 games under his belt, he is what he is at this point. JFK is 22yr old has 14 NHL games under his belt and has room to develop still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad