Don Maloney's 14-15 season ending press conference.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We don't know what is in Tip's contract. I would suspect he signed with an out clause if the team is moved or a control change in ownership. I think he has a legitimate out clause. The real question is, does he want to be hear and be part of the rebuilding program? If he does, he will stay, if he does not, they can part ways regardless of the contract. Tip will have no problem landing another job and DM won't want to keep him if he wants out anyway. Tip could use it as leverage to renegotiate his contract too. If he wants to stay and DM wants to keep him, I hope he stays.

As for the team, a few years ago we had more talent and everything went right. Now we have less talent and everything went wrong. DM and Tip have been dealt a pretty poor hand that caught up to both of them. DM has made some great moves and some poor ones that are catching up to him (Smith/Ribs).

Now we have a new owner with deeper pockets, a cap that is not rising as fast as expected, a high draft pick, and lots of young talent in the pipe line. We might be able to fleece a cap strapped team and some of our younger guys will come through for us.

The future looks bright to me. We can't look back and have to look forward. DM is not a dumb guy and might have more resources now to get the right guys when they are available. Tip might or might not stay. There will be a line of guys that want this job, living in the valley, and no where to go but up from a point total in the 50's, and a young roster.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Elliott Friedman addressed Tippett /AZ situation.

Tippett’s contract is complex, and without actually seeing it, it’s difficult to know exactly what’s there. According to a couple of sources, he has an out for a move (not relevant) and an out for an ownership change (which is relevant, although I’ve been told the language is not as clear-cut as you’d think).

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Tippett’s contract is complex, and without actually seeing it, it’s difficult to know exactly what’s there. According to a couple of sources, he has an out for a move (not relevant) and an out for an ownership change (which is relevant, although I’ve been told the language is not as clear-cut as you’d think).

I could see Tip having a out clause that says a new ownership group. Technically, Barroway purchased 51% of the new entity, so it is the same owner. Tip would argue, the clause means "change in control", which there clearly is now, with Barroway as majority owner.

Attorneys miss stuff like this sometimes, and you wind up arguing substance over form, or what does the form mean. I still say that if Tip does not want to be here, they should let him go regardless.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If he wants out, let him walk. This is a no-brainer to me. I want him gone anyway -- especially if he's not on the development train (and all the comments, especially the recent ones, indicate he is not).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If he wants out, let him walk. This is a no-brainer to me. I want him gone anyway -- especially if he's not on the development train (and all the comments, especially the recent ones, indicate he is not).

I have no problem letting Tippett out of his deal provided the team wanting to secure his services offers up compensation. Their 1st round pick or an A prospect sounds fair.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you are going to resort to a legal loophole to get out of a deal then so would I. The NHL rules now include compensation if you are poaching from another team. I would fully intend to file tampering and/or a ruling from Bettman to get this. At the very least I'm not making it easy. Tippett is an asset.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon

Tippett signed a 5-year contract in summer 2013, the same summer the franchise signed a 5-year out clause. Why would Tippett need an out for a move if his contract is due to expire before such a move could take place?

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I have no problem letting Tippett out of his deal provided the team wanting to secure his services offers up compensation. Their 1st round pick or an A prospect sounds fair.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but if you are going to resort to a legal loophole to get out of a deal then so would I. The NHL rules now include compensation if you are poaching from another team. I would fully intend to file tampering and/or a ruling from Bettman to get this. At the very least I'm not making it easy. Tippett is an asset.

To PHI
Brandon Gormley
Dave Tippett

To ARI
Vincent Lecavalier
Chris Pronger
Sean Couturier
2015 1st Round Draft Pick

:sarcasm:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To PHI
Dave Tippett
Brandon Gormley
Kyle Chipchura
Lauri Korpikoski
CHI 2015 1st
NYR 2015 2nd

To ARI
Vincent Lecavalier
Chris Pronger
Sean Couturier
PHI 2015 1st Round Draft Pick

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

LeBrun

ESPN and TSN's Pierre LeBrun elaborated on how the executive compensation system will work during an Insider Trading segment broadcast on TSN on Tuesday evening:

(Executive compensation) is going to come into play here with this offseason, the board of governors voted it last June but didn't quite have the language set up.

Well here is how it's going to work: if it's an offseason hire for either a president of hockey operations, a GM, or a head coach - it's a third round pick that goes the other way for a guy that's under contract. If it's an in-season hire then it's a second round pick, so you think most teams would wait.

For a coach the season ends as soon as his season ends, but for a GM or a president of hockey operations, the draft is the cut off line for in-season/off-season...

Last year Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported that teams will have a three-year window to surrender the second- or third- round draft pick, so presumably that still applies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Don't know why you are hung up on Ribeiro and Vrbata. We missed the playoffs with them. I think Ribeiro didn't register a point in 11 of the last 20 games. Sound familiar?;) Hope he does well in the playoffs, as I want to see Chicago lose.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I could see Tip having a out clause that says a new ownership group. Technically, Barroway purchased 51% of the new entity, so it is the same owner. Tip would argue, the clause means "change in control", which there clearly is now, with Barroway as majority owner.

Attorneys miss stuff like this sometimes, and you wind up arguing substance over form, or what does the form mean. I still say that if Tip does not want to be here, they should let him go regardless.

Here we all go again. Who says DT does not want to be here?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Here we all go again. Who says DT does not want to be here?

I said "if". Tip mentioned he has protection in his contract in an interview. I believe Barroway/ownership group has faith in DM. I believe DM has faith in Tip. I believe Tip likes living in Phoenix and that the club will be much better next year.

What we don't know is, how important is it for Tip to have a legitimate shot at a cup sooner rather than later. Some premiere jobs could be open, like Boston. If Tip is tired of fielding a 50% AHL team, tired of DM/Ownership, or wants a quicker shot at a cup, I could see him using an out clause.

Tip wants to win and is willing to play vets if he has a better shot rather than rookies to make fans, and maybe DM happy. He has to hate the losses, so you never know, he might want out.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It will be hard to walk away from a club with the new Crosby. The lottery will make all the difference, IMO.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Don't know why you are hung up on Ribeiro and Vrbata. We missed the playoffs with them. I think Ribeiro didn't register a point in 11 of the last 20 games. Sound familiar?;) Hope he does well in the playoffs, as I want to see Chicago lose.

We were well on our way to the playoffs last year, until the Rangers broke Mike Smith.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We were well on our way to the playoffs last year, until the Rangers broke Mike Smith.

I don't think last year's early season run was sustainable even with Smith. We haven't been a playoff team for 3 years.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think last year's early season run was sustainable even with Smith. We haven't been a playoff team for 3 years.

After Smith got hurt in New York, We went 3-4-4, finished 9th,and missed the playoffs by 2 points.

I also think we should have held on to Ribeiro. He was going through separation with his wife, and had more important things (family) on his mind. Should have let him settle, and given him another shot. If we get Eichel, and he puts up the same numbers Ribeiro did, should we buy him out? Need more than a 1 year sample size.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
After Smith got hurt in New York, We went 3-4-4, finished 9th,and missed the playoffs by 2 points.

True, but we had dropped a ton of games before that even hadn't we? Iirc we were only close due to our early season run.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Tip wants to win and is willing to play vets if he has a better shot rather than rookies to make fans, and maybe DM happy. He has to hate the losses, so you never know, he might want out.

Ugh, this drives me crazy! I feel like this is the big fallacy in the pro/anti Tippett argument. I couldn't care less if he plays vets or kids if it leads to wins. The complaint is that the vets in question suck. If he was playing Suter or Byfuglien while Gormley and Murphy sit, I have no problem with that; but we are talking about Campbell and Moore. If Sharp, Frolik, or Kesler were making the team out of camp while sending down Reider, Lessio and Hodgson; this wouldn't be a discussion, but its not, its Chip/Klink/Moss/Korpi.

Either Tippett has some kind of blind faith in these guys to come through, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary; or there is something else at work here (like having favorites).

The only way things will actually change for this team is if ties with these players are cut and either rookies or better vets are played in their stead. Maloney makes it sound like this is the plan for the off-season, so we'll see.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If we do see any big changes in coaching or management in the near future, chances are it won't come until at least the conference finals as by then more teams will have made their own moves.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bruins fired Peter Chiarelli. The assumption is his replacement will fire Claude Julien.

I wish we could make bold moves like that.

sigh...

Yep:

LeBlanc anticipates the Coyotes will be "fairly active" in making changes, either via free agency or the trade market if opportunities arise, and he expects Tippett to provide his advice despite speculation about the coach's future with the franchise.

"Don is a very smart guy, and he knows that he has a wealth of knowledge in Dave Tippett," LeBlanc said. "He wants Dave's input, and I think it's fair to say that you will see that evolving over time."

Actually, LeBlanc doesn't envision Tippett or captain Shane Doan — another face of the team poised to mull his future following a frustrating season — exiting the Coyotes. When it comes to the team's brain trust in Tippett and Maloney, neither are on the hot seat in regard to job security.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...eblanc-don-maloney-dave-tippett-nhl/25791897/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad