Don Maloney's 14-15 season ending press conference.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
3-4-4 in 11 games after Smith got hurt, 7-4-0 in the 11 games before his injury. January was rough, but we turned it on in February, and we're rolling through March.

I didn't remember us getting that hot that close to the end of the season. I mostly remembered our epic late season collapse I guess haha.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Three straight non-playoff seasons, capped by being the 2nd worst team in the entire NHL. That doesn't justify AT LEAST being on the "hot seat"? Insane.

How did these guys get rich if they have zero standards for their subordinates?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Three straight non-playoff seasons, capped by being the 2nd worst team in the entire NHL. That doesn't justify AT LEAST being on the "hot seat"? Insane.

I mean, it is Anthony LeBlanc. We learned from his first tour of duty with Ice Edge 5 or 6 years ago, that he's not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed.

But who knows? maybe Barroway told Maloney to tank after he took over the team, and said he would give Maloney a mulligan this year if he did. I remember Dreger saying in December that if Barroway, assumed ownership, that he planned to try and tank for McDavid and Eichel. Maybe when we lose the lottery, Barroway will rescind that mulligan and fire DM for ****ing up our tank and missing by like 2 points. I can dream, I guess.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Don't know why you are hung up on Ribeiro and Vrbata. We missed the playoffs with them. I think Ribeiro didn't register a point in 11 of the last 20 games. Sound familiar?;) Hope he does well in the playoffs, as I want to see Chicago lose.

Mostly because I sat through a year of crap.

I've explained this to you ad nauseum, if your memory is that bad see O23L's comments for a dose of intelligent commentary.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Ugh, this drives me crazy! I feel like this is the big fallacy in the pro/anti Tippett argument. I couldn't care less if he plays vets or kids if it leads to wins. The complaint is that the vets in question suck. If he was playing Suter or Byfuglien while Gormley and Murphy sit, I have no problem with that; but we are talking about Campbell and Moore. If Sharp, Frolik, or Kesler were making the team out of camp while sending down Reider, Lessio and Hodgson; this wouldn't be a discussion, but its not, its Chip/Klink/Moss/Korpi.

Either Tippett has some kind of blind faith in these guys to come through, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary; or there is something else at work here (like having favorites).

The only way things will actually change for this team is if ties with these players are cut and either rookies or better vets are played in their stead. Maloney makes it sound like this is the plan for the off-season, so we'll see.

Campbell / Moore > Gormley
Lession / Hodgson (perhaps) = Chip / Moss / Korpi
You needn't worry about Klink any longer.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

This season was obviously by design, as the stupidity last summer makes clear. GMDM and Tippett can't possibly be so stupid as to think they had a shot with the lineup they brought into 2014/15.

Having said that - I would like to see Tippett go in favor of Mike Keenan.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This season was obviously by design, as the stupidity last summer makes clear. GMDM and Tippett can't possibly be so stupid as to think they had a shot with the lineup they brought into 2014/15.

Having said that - I would like to see Tippett go in favor of Mike Keenan.

:laugh::laugh:Keenan - oh my god -- no!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Yeah, Kihekah, you're gonna have to explain Mike Keenan. Does he owe you money? I would sooner just offer Philippe Boucher or Connor McDavid's junior coach the job than dig up the rotting corpse of Mike Keenan's NHL career.

Edit: Keenan won the Kharlamov Division title and the Gagarin Cup his first year in Russia. **** it. I change my mind. Hire him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Edit: Keenan won the Kharlamov Division title and the Gagarin Cup his first year in Russia. **** it. I change my mind. Hire him.

There are like three relevant KHL teams, and he coached one of them. He makes Dino Dave look like a technophile.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
There are like three relevant KHL teams, and he coached one of them. He makes Dino Dave look like a technophile.

God damnit, you beat me to it. I was going to say he made Dave the Dinosaur look like a time traveller from the future. ****.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Wonder who/what were going to get for Gormley. We can't possibly continue to keep him in the minors or better yet in the pressbox for another year, DM has to cut bait and get an asset before he's worth nothing <which I'm thinking right now is getting very close>

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Wonder who/what were going to get for Gormley. We can't possibly continue to keep him in the minors or better yet in the pressbox for another year, DM has to cut bait and get an asset before he's worth nothing <which I'm thinking right now is getting very close>

Gormley's omission from the email Leblanc sent to season ticket holders is quite telling IMO. His days are probably numbered.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I know all about Iron Mike.

Although ... he HAS won more Cosmonaut Trophies in one year than we've won in two decades .....

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Campbell / Moore > Gormley
Lession / Hodgson (perhaps) = Chip / Moss / Korpi
You needn't worry about Klink any longer.

You said after camp that Chip/Moss/Klink obviously outplayed Reider/Lessio/Hodgman in the preseason, so I'm going to take your current player analysis with a heavy dosage of salt.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Gormley's treatment is so strange. It makes you wonder if they've been telling him to work on his skating or something for awhile and he hasn't really been progressing much there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Gormley's omission from the email Leblanc sent to season ticket holders is quite telling IMO. His days are probably numbered.

You could be right, but it could be an honest omission, but I agree, I think his days are numbered.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ugh. If Maloney was able to flip Rundblad for a 2nd, I'm sure he can get similar value for Gormley straight up, or package him.

Most had high expectations for Rundblad, Gormley and Summers. All first round busts.You just never know with kids.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This scenario makes perfect sense: He asked out.

He has no leverage to ask for anything, but if he did, don't let the door hit you and the way out. Maybe injuries have played a part in Gormleys performance? Drafting is so important to a hockey franchisee, thankfully we are doing better the last couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad