Don Maloney's 14-15 season ending press conference.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If a team tries to steal Tippett you can bet AZ will ask for compensation from that team. I would love to know wording on potential out clause and if it references ownership change or relocation.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
How can I take you seriously when you think this team isn't making changes?

Here's the lineup from the 10 April 2014 GDT:

Boedker - Vermette - Doan
Erat - Chipchura - Vrbata
Korpikoski - Ribeiro - Moss
Klinkhammer - Halpern - McMillan

OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Stone
Summers - Morris

Greiss
Visentin

I may be jumping the gun crossing Erat and Moss off the list, but I doubt it.

This team is full of changes.

Don't always take me seriously, I often post in a sarcastic manner and exaggerate. In this case it was mostly just me being hyperbolic and pessimistic. Obviously we will make changes and I hope there will be a fair amount of them but when the gm singles a guy like chip out for praise it's not a good sign. It's especially worrisome with his history of bringing back scrubs. After last off season's quotes about change were followed by more of the same old crap I'm taking a I'll believe it when I saw it approach with tip and don.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If a team tries to steal Tippett you can bet AZ will ask for compensation from that team. I would love to know wording on potential out clause and if it references ownership change or relocation.

There are clauses for both.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chipchura was a 13th forward who played like he actually cared and for doing so on a team where a number of players went MIA for months at a time (Korpi) he earned more ice time and a letter on his jersey. He does deserve some praise for that. Let's not act like he's been named our first line C.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Both events might have to occur to trigger the out clause.

Doesn't make sense in the slightest. An ownership clause isn't needed if you're protecting yourself from the act of relocation. They're very, very likely to be two distinct clauses. Having something to protect you (while under contract) when your bosses completely change is a good idea.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chip was not the problem. We are fine bringing him back next year. We just can't bring back all of Chip/Crombeen/Korpi/etc...One of them is fine. Maybe he was window dressing Chip for a trade:)

I agree, Chip was put in a position really to fail, but they had no one else. Hanzal went down really hurt our C depth, and with the Vermette trade, Chip was the only one left. At best Chip is a 3C.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't make sense in the slightest. An ownership clause isn't needed if you're protecting yourself from the act of relocation. They're very, very likely to be two distinct clauses. Having something to protect you (while under contract) when your bosses completely change is a good idea.

Possibly or possibly not. Hard to say without a copy of the contract. It might open a window of time to do something but ownership change was months ago now that window may have passed. Regardless if out clauses are being discussed publicly than he wants out. Maloney may be okay with this but may be angling to receive compensation from any team that picks him up. In the court of public opinion it would come off as Tippett abandoning the team for greener pastures. That shouldn't play well in local market.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That was Murphy's second year and Stone's third. You really think they've stopped developing?

I thought Stone really progressed this year, while Murphy had a up and down year, but he added a physical side to his game. Both very young and both progressing just fine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They're certainly stagnating under Playfair. He needs to be gone at a minimum.

They are not stagnating, I think both, especially Stone, really progressed this year. As far a Playfair goes, I'm not a fan.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maloney may be okay with this but may be angling to receive compensation from any team that picks him up.

Has this system been formalized and is it currently in place? I've yet to read that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Watching the video now. Cannot disagree with you guys more.Chipchura has a contract for next year. What do you expect Maloney to say?How can I take you seriously when you think this team isn't making changes?

OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Stone
Summers - Morris

Greiss
Visentin

I may be jumping the gun crossing Erat and Moss off the list, but I doubt it.

This team is full of changes.

For the same reason Yandle got passed up 100 times in the draft. What's true today may not be true tomorrow. Players change. Situations change. And we don't know why Chipchura went on waivers anyway. There may be more to the story.You're right, we should try to find one of the best players of all time to coach the team. And let him be GM too. That'll work.

Maloney and Regeir did great on the trade market this year and we have no reason to think they can't evaluate talent.Of course not. Thank you for being reasonable.

Put more stock in what Maloney is doing and less in what Maloney is saying.

We came away from the deadline / before with 2 extra firsts, 2 extra seconds, 1 extra third, Duclair, Letunov, Dahlbeck, Moore and $2.5m (Yandle minus retention) off next year's payroll which will give us even more flexibility to do the sniping that Maloney is talking about this summer. Things are looking up. They really are.

Exactly right, good post. People take out of these pressers what they want to take out. We can't even hear the questions asked in all these interviews, yet when they are answered we start assuming.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Possibly or possibly not. Hard to say without a copy of the contract. It might open a window of time to do something but ownership change was months ago now that window may have passed. Regardless if out clauses are being discussed publicly than he wants out. Maloney may be okay with this but may be angling to receive compensation from any team that picks him up. In the court of public opinion it would come off as Tippett abandoning the team for greener pastures. That shouldn't play well in local market.

I don't think there was an ownership change. I thought Barroway bought into the existing company.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Has this system been formalized and is it currently in place? I've yet to read that.

Yes I believe it has. I'm certain I saw someone from TSN indicate this had been quietly done behind the scenes.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think there was an ownership change. I thought Barroway bought into the existing company.

This is where I wish I had majored in law rather than the few courses I was required to take to complete my undergrad/MBA.

Regardless you can bet Tippett's lawyers will argue one view and that Coyotes may be prepared to either argue opposite and/or allow him to leave as long as they receive compensation.

What's likely though is there is a window where any potential clause would expire. It will likely close soon.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chipchura was a 13th forward who played like he actually cared and for doing so on a team where a number of players went MIA for months at a time (Korpi) he earned more ice time and a letter on his jersey. He does deserve some praise for that. Let's not act like he's been named our first line C.

Exactly. Everyone thinks they know so much about the game of hockey, yet DM and DT are stupid. It happens in every team forum, not just here. None of us are with the team day in and day out, we do not know what is happening behind closed doors etc. Chip was put in a position to fail, yet he did his best with what talent he has.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How can I take you seriously when you think this team isn't making changes?

OEL - Michalek
Yandle - Stone
Summers - Morris

Smith
Greiss

And yet with all of this change, the team is still horrible. So obviously this isnt a player issue. We've switched out almost the entire team. Yet Maloney, Tippett, and Playfair are still safe and secure? This is horse **** of the highest degree.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is where I wish I had majored in law rather than the few courses I was required to take to complete my undergrad/MBA.

Regardless you can bet Tippett's lawyers will argue one view and that Coyotes may be prepared to either argue opposite and/or allow him to leave as long as they receive compensation.

What's likely though is there is a window where any potential clause would expire. It will likely close soon.

Yeah, I agree about any such clause, and I think DT will stay, but if, and I hope it is a small if, wants out, so be it. I want employees who want to be here. It's now up to ownership to give their employees tools to do their job properly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And yet with all of this change, the team is still horrible. So obviously this isnt a player issue. We've switched out almost the entire team. Yet Maloney, Tippett, and Playfair are still safe and secure? This is horse **** of the highest degree.

Of course it is a player issue. All we did, or could do, was replace crap with crap. I point the finger at ownership, that's where it all starts.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Of course the team was horrible. That's what they were supposed to be!

It's a team full of stopgaps. It was all year.

On the surface, I'm pissed because I spent a ****-ton of money supporting this team this year (STH in section 106 + the incidentals of attending about 30 of the games), but if the conversation in December between Maloney and Barroway went the way Maloney has said it went -- that Barroway said tear it down and rebuild it right -- then Maloney is doing an outstanding job of that. We added 3 premium assets at the deadline and 4 or 5 more good ones, shed cash and we're in a good position to get McEichel.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's a team full of stopgaps. It was all year.

On the surface, I'm pissed because I spent a ****-ton of money supporting this team this year (STH in section 106 + the incidentals of attending about 30 of the games), but if the conversation in December between Maloney and Barroway went the way Maloney has said it went -- that Barroway said tear it down and rebuild it right -- then Maloney is doing an outstanding job of that. We added 3 premium assets at the deadline and 4 or 5 more good ones, shed cash and we're in a good position to get McEichel.

I honestly don't think it started out that way, as both DM and DT thought if everything went right they were a playoff team, but it didn't and we are where we are. Now, with Barroway on board, I'm hoping they can build a team the correct way.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maloney won't be fired. Tippett won't be fired. We all know I want them to be. We all know they won't be. I will stop harping on it.

I wonder if there exists a D coach that Tippett would be okay with replacing Playfair? Would Philippe Boucher give up the Remparts HC job for a Coyotes AC job? Is that a step up? It seems to me that if his club makes an impression at the Memorial Cup, and then he comes to AZ and turns the D/PK around to some measurable degree, he'd put himself into consideration for an NHL HC job at some point. That's got to be the goal, right?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

That's revisionist "tank-for-McDavid" thinking.

Maloney said after last season that the team needed a big culture change. What he didn't have was the money to do more than let Vrbata go and pick up a couple of low-ceiling veterans. But he and Tippett figured that Smith was just having some sort of slump at the end of last season, rather than what actually was happening - he was regressing back to his typical career performance after a season and a third of being way above his average. So Maloney figured that a change in attitude was going to have to suffice.

In camp, it was obvious - glaringly so, to "Internet experts" like yours truly - that the veteran players on the team were nowhere near capable of anything but mediocrity, but Tippett and Maloney decided to play it conservative with the prospects, believing that "lots of try" and grit and hustle could overcome the inherent weakness of the roster.

The bottom line was that Maloney and Tippett expected their soft, low-skill team to overachieve yet again, only this time without the grizzled veterans who provided the backbone that won them the division in '11-'12. That their expectations fell short of reality should not have surprised anyone.

But let's not pretend that Maloney and Tippett were in the tank because of McDavid and Eichel. Maloney is not that aggressive of a risk-taker.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
To play Devils advocate, DM was kinda in ownership limbo going into the season. He didn't know what direction ownership would want to go and as soon as he got the go ahead to build for the future form Barroway, he started to dump assets for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Le Havre vs Marseille
    Le Havre vs Marseille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lens vs Montpellier
    Lens vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00