Don Maloney Chronology

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't know if there is a goalie in the league more comfortable with the fact that he'll always be a back-up.

...and that's why I don't want him back.

There are goalies who only perform if they are secure in the fact that they are the #1. I would say Kipper and Luongo are guys like that. Maybe Brodeur. Telly would fit in great in those organizations.

He is the wrong guy for Phoenix, though. Bryz needs a threat, not a pal. And more than that, we need a guy who is reliable for stretches, not spot starts, when Bryz hits his inevitable skid.

I like Telly a lot as a person, don't get me wrong. He's the perfect team player. But a comfy room is not always a successful room, and if everyone's happy and buddy-buddy then where do the competitive juices go? Gretzky talked about keeping everyone happy... well, screw that. Keep people working to keep from losing their spot. This isn't a damn country club, it's a professional sports team where the players get paid huge amounts of money. I'm not saying to cultivate an actively hostile work environment (which Carcillo and Jokinen were fostering), but while guys should get along with each other they should NOT get complacent - either with the security of their positions or with losing.

/rant :naughty:

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Hey all... we got a chance to talk to Don at the last booster club meeting of the year. I posted the notes from the meeting if you are interested.

http://blog.coyoteshipcheck.com/2009/04/15/booster-meeting-special-guest-don-maloney/

Great stuff, Z. Let's get the Boosters a press credential and you on the beat. :nod:

A lot of stuff has already been commented on so I'll bring up the mention of Craig Anderson. He's made the best of his time in Florida. Speculation in Florida is he won't be back, based on these comments:
''Playing for this team was the turning point in my career,'' said Anderson, who is a free agent July 1. ``This organization gave me what I needed -- a steppingstone to what I hope is a starting job. We'll see what happens. But I owe this organization a lot. They gave me an opportunity to come in and play.''
If GMDM can sell him on the idea that he can challenge for the #1 spot here, he might bite. He's only 27 and from the games I've seen him play he's very fundamentally sound, just needs to find some consistency.
Colorado, Atlanta, Tampa, Edmonton and Ottawa would be able to better sell him on a potential starting job, but I'd be very happy to see him here.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Hey all... we got a chance to talk to Don at the last booster club meeting of the year. I posted the notes from the meeting if you are interested.

http://blog.coyoteshipcheck.com/2009/04/15/booster-meeting-special-guest-don-maloney/

Did you guys do anything like this last year with Maloney. It's curious he left MSP off the list of his top 6, especially since he mentioned Kadri. I'm wondering if last year he mentioned a similar list (and omitted Boedkker's name)....maybe this means MSP is the real guy they want?

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Did you guys do anything like this last year with Maloney. It's curious he left MSP off the list of his top 6, especially since he mentioned Kadri. I'm wondering if last year he mentioned a similar list (and omitted Boedkker's name)....maybe this means MSP is the real guy they want?

I wouldn't look to much into the comments Maloney made. The game MSP plays, is exactly the type of system we are trying to build. I would imagine he is highly thought of in our organization.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Most of the higher ranked CHL guys are still in the playoffs and a number are doing wonders to justify jumping a spot or two in the rankings. Schenn and Kadri being the most notable. Kane who's averaged a PPG has probably dropped a spot at this point.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Boedker had a great playoffs series. Kadri also had established chemistry with him. A line of Kadri-Turris-Boedker sounds pretty good. Picking him 6th overall not so good though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looking at this, Maloney seems like a great GM for a rebuilding club. O_O

If DM signs Tanguay to a reasonable contract and lands a great tough guy who can actually skate, he is god. This man, alone, will be the salvation of the franchise if they are allowed to stay. He is just about the only person I trust with a hockey related decision left in the organization. The man has balls. He, and Burke, imo, are the best GMs in the league. Nobody sticks to their vision more or pulls it off better. And given the crap Maloney has had to work with, it makes it even more amazing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I love Don Maloney. So far. Ballard for Jokinen stings. Hindsight is 20/20, sure, but it seems like Jokinen wasn't properly vetted. It seemed pretty clear that he didn't want to be a Coyote. Perhaps they should've found that out first, if at all possible.

Also, Lisin for Korpikoski is not one I like, immediately. I guess if he's able to replace Lisin with a scorer I'm really happy with, I'll get over it.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I love Don Maloney. So far. Ballard for Jokinen stings. Hindsight is 20/20, sure, but it seems like Jokinen wasn't properly vetted. It seemed pretty clear that he didn't want to be a Coyote. Perhaps they should've found that out first, if at all possible.

Also, Lisin for Korpikoski is not one I like, immediately. I guess if he's able to replace Lisin with a scorer I'm really happy with, I'll get over it.

I give Maloney huge props for Sauer and Upshall. Plus I like the Prucha trade.
This year - i like the Vrbata trade. Our 2 useless palyers for some potential.

Even after - I'm ok with the Ballard and #2. I don't think Boynton was worth much.
We didn't give up a #1 or a good prospect for the deal...Ballard is/was replaceable.
Yes, He was a fan favorite....but he wasn't a #1 guy

Jokinen didn't work out....How much was it Jokinen or our coaching/strategy?
We got Lombardi and a #1 in return....I'm good with that also.

Not so good with the Hale or Fedoruk signing....Fedoruk for 3 years was a mistake....
But GMDM solved those bad deals in one trade...

The Lisin/Korpikoski we will have to wait and see....

Overall with what he has had to deal with - I give him high marks...

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
I missed it. Did he say anything notable?

Not particularly. The only thing i found notable was that he said he only talked to two candidates for the coaching job...Tippett and Laviolette...other than that it was the usual stuff.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'll add that he mentioned Turris' back surgery set him back physically as he couldn't train for two months. I hadn't even considered that. Between the mono a couple of summers ago and the back this year, no wonder he hasn't been able to pack on the pounds. Just give him one healthy summer, for cyring out loud.

Maloney also said he doesn't think the ownership situation is going to be a distraction for the team. He said that most of the long tenured Coyotes(Derek Morris, Steve Reinprecht, ect.) have moved on. That the young guys don't pay attention to it, and just want to play. Most of the older guys are still pretty new to Phoenix, anyway. I guess his point was that most of our player would prefer to stay in Phoenix but apart from the established guys like Doan, Jovo, Z, ect. most of the guys are just happy to be playing in the league anywhere, whether that be Phoenix or Hamilton. It's a good point. Guys like Boedker, Mueller, Hanzal, Lepisto, Korpikoski and Yandle are just happy to be in the NHL. It's probably the same deal for guys like Pyatt, Fiddler, LaBarbera, and Bissonnette. Then there's Upshall, Lombardi, Vandermeer, Aucoin, Prucha, Vrbata and on and on that were playing somewhere else just last year, anyhow. What do they care? That's most of the team, right there. This talk of distraction has been overstated, I think.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
You know Maloney sure made this team deep during the off season ..I mean if someone gets injured there are sure alot of people that could be called up and step right in . I would have loved for him to grab that top 6 scorer that we were hoping for . Maybe Lang will return to his ppg form from last year before he got injured

coyotes.jpg

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'll wait until the Coyotes make the playoffs before giving him that distinction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad