Don Maloney Chronology

CoyoteLove

I actually think they're doing fine. They're going in with eyes open knowing that it's a very slim possibility that the Coyotes are going to go to the playoffs and they're basically alerting us to that fact. I don't think it's so much that they're saying, "There's no ****ing chance in hell that these bunch of babies are ever going to make it to the playoffs." More that they're telling us not to get our hopes too high because the team is very new and they're all going to be getting their legs under them.

I think it's going well. We're not jumping into things blindly and I like it. I'm looking forward to everything to come.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand, unless they don't actually comprehend what they read or hear.

Saying you are going to compete every game does not guarantee you a Stanley Cup or playoff appearance. Josh Gratton competes more than most, but that does not mean he is a better player than Jagr, or to make my point clearer....alexei yashin.

Maloney said if he could get a top ten goalie he would be a genius. There were no guarantees. I'm sure he could have guaranteed us a top ten goalie. That guarantee would probably be accompanied by a guarantee we'd lose Mueller + at least our 2008 first round pick.

Maloney clearly communicated we were not going after high priced veteran free-agents. That we would be looking for 'value' signings.

Since Maloney was brought aboard they have had one consistent message. We are going to compete, and we are going to show improvement month by month.

If you don't understand this, I recommend following another team, because they are not going to succumb to the band-aid approach of the past.

If you don't see improvement throughout the season, then people should start complaining, especially if changes are not made.

Z4dfence

Jul 15, 2006
Coyotes Country
coyoteshipcheck.com
I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand, unless they don't actually comprehend what they read or hear.

Saying you are going to compete every game does not guarantee you a Stanley Cup or playoff appearance. Josh Gratton competes more than most, but that does not mean he is a better player than Jagr, or to make my point clearer....alexei yashin.

Maloney said if he could get a top ten goalie he would be a genius. There were no guarantees. I'm sure he could have guaranteed us a top ten goalie. That guarantee would probably be accompanied by a guarantee we'd lose Mueller + at least our 2008 first round pick.

Maloney clearly communicated we were not going after high priced veteran free-agents. That we would be looking for 'value' signings.

Since Maloney was brought aboard they have had one consistent message. We are going to compete, and we are going to show improvement month by month.

If you don't understand this, I recommend following another team, because they are not going to succumb to the band-aid approach of the past.

If you don't see improvement throughout the season, then people should start complaining, especially if changes are not made.

:handclap:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I really think the only thing holding back this team from growing and competing is the coaching staff. Without Tocchet, they just seem hollow and are unable to motivate people.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
*cough* need a real coach *cough*

I'm a Kings fan chiming in from another board, just wanted to say you guys are going in the right direction. We too are familiar with the rebuilding process, we just are 1 or 2 years into it already and some of our guys have started to become NHL stars. Same thing can happen to guys like Mueller, Hanzal, and Ballard has already shown it.

Maloney has a ton of money to spend and you guys have a lot of prospects ready to step in and a good defense. Give the young guys a chance to go with Rhino, Doan, and York and if that doesn't work out I'm sure Maloney will spend some cash or make a deal.

hockeyhockey

Mar 11, 2007
Phoenix>Winnipeg
I really think the only thing holding back this team from growing and competing is the coaching staff. Without Tocchet, they just seem hollow and are unable to motivate people.

I agree on the coaching situation. I also have a lot of confidence in Maloney and his eye for talent. I also believe in a youth movement as long as it is done right.

So, I don't conform my opinion of Doug Moss to other people's opinions on this site and I am not a Coyote fan? Don't ask me to clarify a sentence in my post then (a post that I made over a week ago). That post was about the lack of local media coverage down here and how horrid what we do have is, not wether or not I want to jump on the Doug Moss train. I don't think Doug Moss belongs with the Coyotes, he doesn't strive for excellence. He was here while they were failing. And I do know hockey. I am just not use to being around people who run hockey and let it fail miserably. And as far as the lack of media coverage down here, how are they supposed to build a hockey market when they don't push the media to cover the team. They need to create a buzz around the game and you do that via media.

ewww on the 3344 ref. He's a crazy.

CoyotesIce99

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I’m glad Maloney let go of scouts Badali, Henry, Lindstrom, & Slansky shortly after the recent draft.
I have not been impressed with the late round European draft picks we got from 2000 to 2005 draft (eg. Kouba, Pestunov, Blindenbacher, Lindstrom, Beat Forster, Tomanek, etc.) We have not found any gems.
Hanzal & Lisin are high draft picks which most scouts are aware of. I'm not high on Latal either.
I like the 2006 & 2007 draft choice of Ruzicka, Goncharov, Ahnelov, Gistedt.
Coyotes don't have a scout in Finland? They have not drafted any players from Finland since Vaananan in 1998.

Maloney knows the scouting community very well & he will hire more amateur scouts for us.
Barry Trapp is the most recent hire. I like to have more good scouts for the OHL & Quebec league & USHL.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0b99b284-20ee-403b-a52f-179ae221c22d

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
Maloney IMO is doing a bang up job so far. just give him some more time to tinker and your team is going to be one of the best in the west.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
forward Nate DiCasmirro and a 5th round draft choice in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft from the Boston Bruins in exchange for goaltender Alex Auld

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Last edited:

DouX

Keeping Arizona Icy
Mar 5, 2008
Scottsdale
I agree, the way he has handled the past few drafts and offseason give this team a chance to compete with anybody on the ice, and also not overspend for old veterans. He was able to get Jokinen relatively cheap, and the impact he will have on this team will be pretty dynamic. We have a new look for the upcoming season, but I have a feeling this is the year we break through. Well done Maloney and start working towards an excellent season Coyotes.

Rbenj

May 10, 2007
Surprise AZ
Don't know if this question should be in this thread, (mod, please move if not)
What power does Maloney have in terms of coaching staff? Anyone know the specifics of his contract as to what he can or cannot do?

(This is not a propaganda on the fire gretzky cause, but just a question regarding DM's unique situation)

anyone?

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Has there been any press that Don's deals have to get league office approval now due to the Coyotes financial situation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad