OT: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Its interesting to see you use the word obtuse and then read your comments on the PM.
I wont use the word obtuse but you are either very naive or suffering from cognitive dissonance to make the statements you made.
In any event I will leave that alone because it likely to drift too far from the topic in this thread.
My fault for bringing it up.

Cherry has said many times that we Canadians dont support our Vets enough. Now he is saying that newcomers to the country should also consider the reason to support the vets because of the freedom this country offers and that freedom is a big reason why newcomers come to Canada.

I dont necessarily agree with him in his wording but why the outrage?

You havent explained why that comment about newcomers deserves the outrage some seem to think it does.

Yes I have. It’s because he’s generalizing an entire group of people in a negative way. This isn’t some survey he did where he’s found some correlation between people of a certain background and their likelihood of them buying a poppy. It’s what he’s decided is true based on his views of the world.

You act like he’s just given some factual statement based off years of research and we’re upset that he’s right... the outrage is because he’s ignorant and speaking from out of ignorance acting like it’s a fact that immigrants are unappreciative.

To top it all off, he did it on a public platform for millions to see.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I have experienced racism and I completely reject the premise of your argument.

Wow that’s so great of you to speak on behalf of everyone who’s experienced oppression in their lives.

This conversation is not worth the effort I’m putting into these posts. I’m fine with discussion but each post from you is getting further away from that.

I honestly hope you’re trolling at this point.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes I have. It’s because he’s generalizing an entire group of people in a negative way. This isn’t some survey he did where he’s found some correlation between people of a certain background and their likelihood of them buying a poppy. It’s what he’s decided is true based on his views of the world.

You act like he’s just given some factual statement based off years of research and we’re upset that he’s right... the outrage is because he’s ignorant and speaking from out of ignorance acting like it’s a fact that immigrants are unappreciative.

To top it all off, he did it on a public platform for millions to see.

I said nothing about factual statements. Nothing at all. You made that up.

Lets look at what I have actually said...I have simply said that it is the implied meaning that you and others are manufacturing to justify your narrow viewpoints that I am pushing back on.

You claim to know what his intent was...to ignore the actual words and claim what was in his mind.
You make claims like you 'know' what the statement really meant.
That is very scary and for some reason you just dont seem to understand why.

Implied meaning is unsupportable nonsense and its the only way you and others can support your views and impose them on others....all in the name of tolerance.

My stance has been and always will be to support free speech. That might mean that sometimes people might feel uncomfortable...why is that a problem?

You havent answered that at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wow that’s so great of you to speak on behalf of everyone who’s experienced oppression in their lives.

This conversation is not worth the effort I’m putting into these posts. I’m fine with discussion but each post from you is getting further away from that.

I honestly hope you’re trolling at this point.

How am I speaking on behalf of everyone? You may want to reread what I posted.
I was speaking for myself...how did you miss that?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lol I answer every one of your questions, and your response is to try and brush my post off and then to backhandedly “apologize” to me without touching on any of my points? Strong showing, good sir. Keep on trucking I guess.

You are just repeating the same rhetoric using more words and longer paragraphs.
Might be best if we both keep on trucking.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Any time there is a discussion about politics it's bound to get heated. There is no end to it. Rather just talk about hockey.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I said nothing about factual statements. Nothing at all. You made that up.

Lets look at what I have actually said...I have simply said that it is the implied meaning that you and others are manufacturing to justify your narrow viewpoints.
You claim to know what his intent was...to ignore the actual words and claim what was in his mind.
You makes claims like you 'know' what this statement really meant.
That is very scary and for some reason you just dont seem to understand why.

Implied meaning is unsupportable nonsense and its the only way you and others can support your views and impose them on others....all in the name of tolerance.

My stance has been and always will be to support free speech. That might mean that sometimes people might feel uncomfortable...why is that a problem?

You havent answered that at all.

Free speech doesn’t mean no consequences for your actions. Cherry wasn’t thrown in prison for his statements, he was fired by a company with a ton to lose by defending an old racist.

You’re not even bringing any real arguments into this, you’re just trying to find holes to exploit in what everyone says and somehow believe that that’s going to invalidate their argument that cherry was in the wrong.

Anyways, I’m through discussing this with you. You’re calling me out for filling in the blanks for the guy with a history of intolerance who refuses to apologize for this most recent example, while trying to convince yourself and others that despite years and years of open xenophobia, that this time he didn’t actually mean it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Free speech doesn’t mean no consequences for your actions. Cherry wasn’t thrown in prison for his statements, he was fired by a company with a ton to lose by defending an old racist.

You’re not even bringing any real arguments into this, you’re just trying to find holes to exploit in what everyone says and somehow believe that that’s going to invalidate their argument that cherry was in the wrong.

Anyways, I’m through discussing this with you. You’re calling me out for filling in the blanks for the guy with a history of intolerance who refuses to apologize for this most recent example, while trying to convince yourself and others that despite years and years of open xenophobia, that this time he didn’t actually mean it.

You are creating strawmen over and over again which is usually the last resort for someone when they cant argue the actual content.
Your post stating that I was speaking on behalf of everyone (a major strawman) was the clincher for me.

I am taking @Tyrolean 's very good advice here.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
You are creating strawmen over and over again which is usually the last resort for someone when they cant argue the actual content.
Your post stating that I was speaking on behalf of everyone (a major strawman) was the clincher for me.

I am taking @Tyrolean 's very good advice here.

The actual content has been argued to death and you’re just so willfully blind to it that you refuse to believe the racist old man was being racist.

You’ve wasted far too much of my time tonight. Apologies to the mods, there will be no discussions between myself and this user in the future I promise.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The actual content has been argued to death and you’re just so willfully blind to it that you refuse to believe the racist old man was being racist.

You’ve wasted far too much of my time tonight. Apologies to the mods, there will be no discussions between myself and this user in the future I promise.

No more strawmen.
Good choice.
Just to provide some clarity for you on the above statement....I am speaking on behalf of myself.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I have faith that tolerance will win out, and that it’s always darkest before the dawn. As the world moves on generation after generation, tolerance seems to be constantly growing, and hopefully the old “us vs them” mentality in terms of cultural, racial, gender, etc. differences gets drowned out by the acceptance that you don’t know anything about a persons humanity by looking at them from the outside
Good luck with that - the ‘tolerance winning out’ bit I mean. I fear you will disappointed for two reasons.

1) humans are intolerant creatures. Petty and prone to tribalism. Going to take more than a few firings to change that.

2) North America and Europe are so far ahead of the rest of the world when it come to ‘tolerance’ that it isn’t funny. I’ve spent most of my life in other countries. Let me assure you that there is a ‘Chinese privilege’ in China and an ‘African privilege’ in Zimbabwe. In most other countries people make no secret of the fact that they look down on foreigners (of any colour or religion) and most ‘immigrants’ will face blatant racism, and real hurdles toward assimilation that immigrants to North America will never come close to seeing.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
As for the above....
You people...I have no idea how or why that became a trigger word(s). Perhaps you can explain it to me.

Really? You have no idea, huh? It’s there clear as day but you can’t see it?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Cherry made two dumb mistakes that led to this:

1) Shaming a group of people for doing/not doing something solely based on where they come from, which was fueled by...

2) This goofy idea that respect, support and appreciation for veterans and those who lost their lives for this country can only be measured in poppies.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
MacLean comes across as spineless in his apology lol. He just sat there nodding like he was getting taught a lesson. I think the only time I’ve seen him debate with Cherry was when Cherry was shitting on Natives, that was 10 years ago too.

Cherry made two dumb mistakes that led to this:

1) Shaming a group of people for doing/not doing something solely based on where they come from, which was fueled by...

2) This goofy idea that respect, support and appreciation for veterans and those who lost their lives for this country can only be measured in poppies.
I don’t understand why he didn’t just call out everyone who lives in Canada. Cherry being the patriot he is should’ve at least included us good Canadian kids who don’t wear them in his rant, unless the fact that not all Canadians wear them is nauseating to him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Good luck with that - the ‘tolerance winning out’ bit I mean. I fear you will disappointed for two reasons.

1) humans are intolerant creatures. Petty and prone to tribalism. Going to take more than a few firings to change that.

2) North America and Europe are so far ahead of the rest of the world when it come to ‘tolerance’ that it isn’t funny. I’ve spent most of my life in other countries. Let me assure you that there is a ‘Chinese privilege’ in China and an ‘African privilege’ in Zimbabwe. In most other countries people make no secret of the fact that they look down on foreigners (of any colour or religion) and most ‘immigrants’ will face blatant racism, and real hurdles toward assimilation that immigrants to North America will never come close to seeing.

yes it’s very easy to tell who the people are that have spent their entire lives inside their own safe little bubble. They create straw men and misrepresent posts like it’s their job.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
MacLean comes across as spineless in his apology lol. He just sat there nodding like he was getting taught a lesson. I think the only time I’ve seen him debate with Cherry was when Cherry was ****ting on Natives, that was 10 years ago too.

I don’t understand why he didn’t just call out everyone who lives in Canada. Cherry being the patriot he is should’ve at least included us good Canadian kids who don’t wear them in his rant, unless the fact that not all Canadians wear them is nauseating to him.

I don’t really get the hate for Ron that is coming out here. This was all stuff he had to react to on the spot and probably took Don’s words the way millions of others did initially.
What is even worse is that those in power at Sportsnet chose to air this taped episode over and over again. They had to know it was going to get a negative reaction, hell maybe they even did it on purpose so that they had a incontestable way to fire Cherry and look like the good guys out of all of it.

Reactions: Oilers 322

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

So what is your point? We should be intolerant because other nations are intolerant?

Or people should be thankful there's only a bit of intolerance here relative to the places you mentioned?

Comment down below!

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don’t really get the hate for Ron that is coming out here. This was all stuff he had to react to on the spot and probably took Don’s words the way millions of others did initially.

I personally don’t mind giving MacLean the benefit of the doubt on this one, although I know a lot of people don’t feel the same way.

Maybe he had a producer in his ear, or maybe as soon as Cherry says something stupid everything just turns into a blind flash of panic, and he rushes to wrap up.

I know if I had to sit there and listen to Cherry ramble for years, I’d spend most of my time in my happy place, nodding along just to get through it.

But, MacLean didn’t make excuses and owned it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Religions twist things to suit them to keep their numbers up . Thou shalt not kill is pretty clear . I choose to follow it to the letter . It’s like men that lie with men is a detestable thing to god . Yet religions are marrying same sex couples . Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against the people . It is the act I am against .

The sad part of all the killed in wars are these wars are cause by leaders . Japan attack on the USA was uncalled for . The USA dropping nukes on non military targets was not needed . They could have target less populated area to show the power the had . Innocent people are the ones who suffer because a soldier is following orders from someone that sits thousands of miles away nice and safe .

Anyways this isn’t a site to be discussing religion . 30 years ago I was terrible so trust me I am not judging anyone but myself .

Have a good one . Don’t agree I am welcome to debate it if you PM me .

thanks for the reply. Cheers.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Lets be clear here...you said intolerant thoughts should be done away with and somehow you dont see that as a scary premise.
That concerns me.

As for the above....
You people...I have no idea how or why that became a trigger word(s). Perhaps you can explain it to me.

As for the rest of what Cherry said...I dont agree with most of it but so what?
Should you or I be able to restrict his right to free speech just because it makes people uncomfortable?

No but he shouldn't have a job where he's allowed to spew it to the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig