OT: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Why are these people so focused on immigrants? Do you not realize you're just making up people to get angry at? Do you really think there is an army of immigrants in this country who hate Canada and refuse to wear poppies? Bunch of facebook reposting dumb dumbs. Same people who repost crap about the "rainbow poppy" the LGB-whatever community is supposedly shoving down everyones throat. Research to see if there is any truth to this? NAH LETS JUST REPOST AND HATE!!!!

Guess what.. I'm Canadian and I didn't wear a poppy this year! Last week I thought "Geeze.. i don't have a poppy yet.. i should probably buy one" and then I somehow stumbled through the week without buying one. Oh no the poppy police are going to get me!

Just another thing for the dumb dumbs to get worked up about.

“These people” such a divisive and hateful statement... /s

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Wow. I'm kinda surprised this still has steam.

Don was doing the same thing he does every year. He was trying to drum up support for veterans by getting people to buy poppies. That was his intent and everyone knows that.

Yes he did it a stupid and inappropriate way... Is anyone surprised by that? Is anyone actually upset by it?

If my kids were actually getting upset by something like this I would explain it to them that the old man grew up in a different time and while he was wrong in how he did it we should still respect the intent of honoring our veterans.

Shameful to ignore a very good message no matter how poorly it was executed. By attacking the messenger in this manner to me it implies you are attacking the message to some extent as well.

Imo both sides need to handle this situation much better.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
can you show me where he said those things?

Can you show me where I said he said those things? I never said he said those things, I'm asking for clarification here. Do you understand the difference between a question and a statement?

Why do you think he brought up those examples? This is your opinion I'm asking for now because I have no idea why he said what he typed.

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Don was doing the same thing he does every year. He was trying to drum up support for veterans by getting people to buy poppies. That was his intent and everyone knows that.

Yes he did it a stupid and inappropriate way... Is anyone surprised by that? Is anyone actually upset by it?

If my kids were actually getting upset by something like this I would explain it to them that the old man grew up in a different time and while he was wrong in how he did it we should still respect the intent of honoring our veterans.

Shameful to ignore a very good message no matter how poorly it was executed. By attacking the messenger in this manner to me it implies you are attacking the message to some extent as well.

Imo both sides need to handle this situation much better.
ok, so why didn't he just simply say: "I hardly see Canadians wearing poppies anymore! Canadians need to support our vets by wearing poppies!"
why bring up the the "you people, you love our way of life" non-sense?

Reactions: nabob and EagerPug

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Can you show me where I said he said those things? I never said he said those things, I'm asking for clarification here. Do you understand the difference between a question and a statement?

Why do you think he brought up those examples? This is your opinion I'm asking for now because I have no idea why he said what he typed.

oh ok. So you weren’t trying to imply that he was saying those things? That’s good because his post never actually said anything like what you were implying.

I can’t speak for him, I can only read the actual words he typed, same as you can.

Reactions: oilers'72

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I was talking about Don. Someone else mentioned Alex Jones.

Mass migration is the result of mass occupation. If he can't include that in his rant, he should shut up.

But he was just suggesting it is harder to find poppies and new Canadians should acknowledge our veterans as well. I'm an immigrant, and couldn't agree more. And many immigrants are fleeing hostile governments and tyrants, not Western occupation.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
ok, so why didn't he just simply say: "I hardly see Canadians wearing poppies anymore! Canadians need to support our vets by wearing poppies!"
why bring up the the "you people, you love our way of life" non-sense?

That's basically what he said. It's not very controversial.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
oh ok. So you weren’t trying to imply that he was saying those things? That’s good because his post never actually said anything like what you were implying.

I can’t speak for him, I can only read the actual words he typed, same as you can.

I'm not implying anything. I straight up asked "what is your point?" and threw out two examples.

And I didn't ask you to speak for him I asked for your opinion lol. Apparently you have opinion on my posts but not his.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
"These people that come here" is definitely divisive. Don't play stupid.

It was a joke not an appendage...lol. I even said it was sarcasm.

So you’re agreeing with me...using the words “these people” is divisive.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
That's basically what he said. It's not very controversial.

No he didn't. He said new Canadians don't support the troops because they don't wear poppies.

Is that a fact? Has he talked to all new Canadians to base his opinion on? How did he come to that conclusion? How does he know who is a new Canadian and who is not? Who are the "you people" he referred to in his statement? I have so many questions and no one has the answers lol.

He never backed it up. He threw out a dog whistle and left it there.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

If that was his intent, he would have just said so. But that would have involved turning on the filter between his brain and mouth, and we know how often that switch gets stuck, if the attempt is ever even made at all, which I doubt.

It doesn’t make it right, and he finally pissed someone off enough to make a change. Certainly sounds like sponsors were done being associated with someone who says things like that.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not implying anything. I straight up asked "what is your point?" and threw out two examples.

And I didn't ask you to speak for him I asked for your opinion lol. Apparently you have opinion on my posts but not his.

Peace man, it looked as if you were implying he was saying one of the two things you implied that he said.

my opinion on what? You want me to imply he was saying this or that like you did? Why not just ask him what he meant without throwing out accusations like you did.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Peace man, it looked as if you were implying he was saying one of the two things you implied that he said.

my opinion on what? You want me to imply he was saying this or that like you did? Why not just ask him what he meant without throwing out accusations like you did.

I did ask him lol. Did you read the first sentence of the post you responded to?

I straight up asked "what's your point?" haha

Reactions: nabob

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Wonder if there will be a Don Cherry appreciation thread.

This comment that got him fired shouldn't be what he should be remembered for.

Reactions: Dorian2

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
No he didn't. He said new Canadians don't support the troops because they don't wear poppies.

Is that a fact? Has he talked to all new Canadians to base his opinion on? How did he come to that conclusion? How does he know who is a new Canadian and who is not? Who are the "you people" he referred to in his statement? I have so many questions and no one has the answers lol.

He never backed it up. He threw out a dog whistle and left it there.

Haha, dog whistle. You people would be new Canadians. He made the observation that you don't see as many poppies as you used to, and they are harder to acquire.

It's not that complicated or that controversial. I don't really care for Don, but this is a mountain out of a mole hill.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
The whole thing is so stupid because it would have been so easy for Cherry to phrase this any other way and come out looking good. Instead of going the "you people route" he could have explained the significance of the poppy, why we wear it, and then invite new Canadians to wear it alongside us, as we are still benefitting from the sacrifices that previous generations have made. Maybe end up reciting In Flanders Field and boom, Don Cherry of all people would have been extending an olive branch to new immigrants, and he'd still have a job.

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Haha, dog whistle. You people would be new Canadians. He made the observation that you don't see as many poppies as you used to, and they are harder to acquire.

It's not that complicated or that controversial. I don't really care for Don, but this is a mountain out of a mole hill.

LOL, ok. At least you gave your opinion. Thanks.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

you still haven't answered the question...why did he single out immigrants and not the average Canadian?

Reactions: EagerPug

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

That wasn’t his observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad