OT: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Cherry made two dumb mistakes that led to this:

1) Shaming a group of people for doing/not doing something solely based on where they come from, which was fueled by...

2) This goofy idea that respect, support and appreciation for veterans and those who lost their lives for this country can only be measured in poppies.

I fully agree with this.

I rarely ever buy and wear a poppy. Does this mean I am unappreciative of what Canadian soldiers past, present and future have done for this country? Absolutely not. I am very appreciative of their bravery, valor and willingness to pay the ultimate sacrifice for their/our country.

The reason I don't usually buy a poppy: I do not carry cash (whether it's a bill or coins) on me and haven't carried cash on me in years because we use plastic for every transaction and everywhere I've gone, the poppy boxes are a cash only donation. My wife and I live paycheque to paycheque so I can't even go down to the bank and withdraw $5.00 if I wanted because the bank account usually has doughnuts after everything is paid. I was at a grocery store yesterday and I made a conscious effort to observe who was wearing a poppy vs those who weren't. The people not wearing a poppy greatly outweighed those who weren't...I'd say it was close to 70% and I encountered close to 100 different people. If vendors had a "poppy donation" option for customers who pay for goods electronically, then damn right I'd be buying a poppy and I'm sure countless others in the "I don't carry cash" boat would do the same.

But, since not carrying cash and not wearing a poppy apparently makes me a horrible, unappreciative Canadian then so be it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Honestly, I blame CBC/Sportsnet just as much as Cherry for what transpired.
He's been making rants like this in different variations for decades yet the networks have been coddling him and enabling the behavior all along. They've been giving him a platform to speak his mind for decades.

It's odd that they pick these particular comments, which have been less egregious than some past ones, as the tipping point to let him go. They allow him free speech to say whatever he wants all these decades then get all bent out of shape when he makes them again. Perhaps they were looking for a reason to push him out but when old man who has been yelling at clouds for years yells at a cloud again, why put a stop to it now as if it's somehow so out of character for him?

Reactions: nORRis8

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He's been making rants like this in different variations for decades yet the networks have been coddling him and enabling the behavior all along. They've been giving him a platform to speak his mind for decades.

It's odd that they pick these particular comments, which have been less egregious than some past ones, as the tipping point to let him go. They allow him free speech to say whatever he wants all these decades then get all bent out of shape when he makes them again. Perhaps they were looking for a reason to push him out but when old man who has been yelling at clouds for years yells at a cloud again, why put a stop to it now as if it's somehow so out of character for him?
600 mil.

It is always about money.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've also lived over half of my life outside of North America and Europe.

So, you're saying we should follow China and Zimbabwe's sterling examples? Personally, I'd rather be from a country that is better than that. You make it seem like, because tribalism and xenophobia exist other places, that it should be just accepted.

It shouldn't be, and over the long term it works to the detriment of a country.

Cherry got fired. For being a bigoted old f**k, which he's been for years (and it wouldn't surprise me if they were looking for a reason for canning his a*s - and he gave them one).

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. It means you don't get put in a Xinjiang re-education camp for voicing dissenting political views.

Where did he say that? Just wondering because I didnt read that anywhere.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta

Precisely. Sportsnet signed Cherry on and allowed his political viewpoints for the last 5 years. They rolled the dice to gain ratings and revenue. Now they're acting shocked and they're playing the holier than thou card.
CBC though who have dealt cherry for years are basically just saying " hey man...not our problem, he's under contract with Sportsnet just as we are". Good on them.

Reactions: guymez

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Except Don was fired because he didn't acknowledge it, refused to apologize and even literally just said that he knows what he said and stands by it.

When has he ever apologized and not stood by what he said?
The man has been the same way for decades (stubborn as a mule, strong with his convictions) yet now is the time to make him pay the consequences because he didn't apologize for his actions? He would have been fired a million times if him not being apologetic for saying something controversial was the main reason.

Reactions: guymez

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Nowhere in your post do you come up with anything stating hitler had plans to travel halfway around the world to vanquish his ally.

The Germans didn’t have a single aircraft carrier and you think they had plans to attack the single greatest remaining naval power in the pacific?

I’m not getting suckered into defending/debating hitler’s mental state. Or the SA straw man.

I hope you aren't being some form of apologist here. I'll leave it open for your response. I don't want to put words in your mouth.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Him being fired on Remembrance Day was a planned out and orchestrated event.

I’m not saying what Cherry said was ok

Sportsnet now gets to look like hero’s in the eyes of many for “taking a stand” but really it was them who gave him the platform, knowing his history and attitude, then they chose to air the taped episode of coaches corner over and over. Betting their lawyers get paid a whole lot of money for handling this so well PR wise. People will say they’ll boycott, they won’t. They won’t lose more than a handful of viewers or subscribers. I do wonder though at one point an employer is somewhat responsible for the actions of their employee when they knew exactly how he had acted in the past without recourse and could bet he’d do it again...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was using those two countries as examples of how privilege exists in other countries as a rationale for how the world is not becoming more tolerant and that previous standards of intolerance should just be accepted.

Because 'freedom of speech'.

No he never said that and he never said what you’re accusing him of saying earlier either.

try reading his words instead of using your emotions and thoughts and saying those were his words.

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
whoa, quite the tinfoil hat conspiracy theory
Not really. They could have done it Saturday, Sunday or waited until after Remembrance day. Instead they chose to do it on Remembrance Day.

kind of like how teams don’t fire a head coach on the day of Game 7 of the SCF. Just on a much larger and much more important scale. They did it to look like virtuous heros

Reactions: Moon Man

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Him being fired on Remembrance Day was a planned out and orchestrated event.

I’m not saying what Cherry said was ok

Sportsnet now gets to look like hero’s in the eyes of many for “taking a stand” but really it was them who gave him the platform, knowing his history and attitude, then they chose to air the taped episode of coaches corner over and over. Betting their lawyers get paid a whole lot of money for handling this so well PR wise. People will say they’ll boycott, they won’t. They won’t lose more than a handful of viewers or subscribers. I do wonder though at one point an employer is somewhat responsible for the actions of their employee when they knew exactly how he had acted in the past without recourse and could bet he’d do it again...

I don't understand how this could have been orchestrated. Did they force him to conveniently make these comments a few days before Remembrance Day? How could they have planned him making those remarks when he did? So if he made these comments next Saturday, their plan failed or they wait until Remembrance Day 2020 to fire him?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So what is your point? We should be intolerant because other nations are intolerant?

Or people should be thankful there's only a bit of intolerance here relative to the places you mentioned?

Comment down below!

can you show me where he said those things?

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't understand how this could have been orchestrated. Did they force him to conveniently make these comments a few days before Remembrance Day? How could they have planned him making those remarks when he did? So if he made these comments next Saturday, their plan failed or they wait until Remembrance Day 2020 to fire him?

Not the comments, but the betting man would have bet on Don saving something that would offend someone. Compared to many of his other offensive comments this one was actually rather vanilla.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
No he never said that and he never said what you’re accusing him of saying earlier either.

try reading his words instead of using your emotions and thoughts and saying those were his words.

Looking back at his posts, I may have mixed his posts with Guymez's posts. If I've misrepresented his thoughts on the matter, fair enough.

I still make the points that:
- one of Canada's strengths is its diversity and openness towards immigrants
- the term 'you people' is exclusionary by nature
- Don Cherry has a long history of this behavior (so it's not a minor slip up)
- the network was well within its rights to sack him for airing this on a public platform
- freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequences

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Looking back at his posts, I may have mixed his posts with Guymez's posts. If I've misrepresented his thoughts on the matter, fair enough.

I still make the points that:
- one of Canada's strengths is its diversity and openness towards immigrants
- the term 'you people' is exclusionary by nature
- Don Cherry has a long history of this behavior (so it's not a minor slip up)
- the network was well within its rights to sack him for airing this on a public platform
- freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequences

fair enough. I agree with all your points and I’m betting the poster that you misrepresented would as well. Cheers man

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not the comments, but the betting man would have bet on Don saving something that would offend someone. Compared to many of his other offensive comments this one was actually rather vanilla.

I doubt it was an orchestrated event but the timing is odd, I'll give you that. He's been making these rants, and as you said more egregious rants, over the years with no repercussions so it's odd that they pick this rather vanilla in comparison rant to make an example out of him.

This is just Don Cherry being Don Cherry which doesn't excuse his actions but makes you wonder why this was the point of no return for him. They have nobody to blame but themselves, they've given him the platform for free speech for years resulting in a tenure littered with controversy so what exactly did they expect? It's not like Ron MacLean made these comments out of the blue.
My guess is that they were looking for an excuse to push him out since he was never going to leave on his own.

Reactions: nabob

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Why are these people so focused on immigrants? Do you not realize you're just making up people to get angry at? Do you really think there is an army of immigrants in this country who hate Canada and refuse to wear poppies? Bunch of facebook reposting dumb dumbs. Same people who repost crap about the "rainbow poppy" the LGB-whatever community is supposedly shoving down everyones throat. Research to see if there is any truth to this? NAH LETS JUST REPOST AND HATE!!!!

Guess what.. I'm Canadian and I didn't wear a poppy this year! Last week I thought "Geeze.. i don't have a poppy yet.. i should probably buy one" and then I somehow stumbled through the week without buying one. Oh no the poppy police are going to get me!

Just another thing for the dumb dumbs to get worked up about.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Why are these people so focused on immigrants? Do you not realize you're just making up people to get angry at? Do you really think there is an army of immigrants in this country who hate Canada and refuse to wear poppies?

Guess what.. I'm Canadian and I didn't wear a poppy this year! Last week I thought "Geeze.. i don't have a poppy yet.. i should probably buy one" and then I somehow stumbled through the week without buying one. Oh no the poppy police are going to get me!

It honestly reminds me of the people who thought there was a 'war against Christmas'.

Reactions: oljimmy

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I doubt it was an orchestrated event but the timing is odd, I'll give you that. He's been making these rants, and as you said more egregious rants, over the years with no repercussions so it's odd that they pick this rather vanilla in comparison rant to make an example out of him.

This is just Don Cherry being Don Cherry which doesn't excuse his actions but makes you wonder why this was the point of no return for him. They have nobody to blame but themselves, they've given him the platform for free speech for years resulting in a tenure littered with controversy so what exactly did they expect? It's not like Ron MacLean made these comments out of the blue.
My guess is that they were looking for an excuse to push him out since he was never going to leave on his own.

Pretty much summed it up for me. Cherry was a bomb waiting to explode. This way they get to look like heroes.

aa I’m listening to Hello Time Bomb by Matt Good lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->