OT: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
you still haven't answered the question...why did he single out immigrants and not the average Canadian?

He probably assumed some people don't know about remembrance day, being a common wealth tradition, if you're not from a Commonwealth country it would be understandable.

Reactions: nORRis8

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The whole thing is so stupid because it would have been so easy for Cherry to phrase this any other way and come out looking good. Instead of going the "you people route" he could have explained the significance of the poppy, why we wear it, and then invite new Canadians to wear it alongside us, as we are still benefitting from the sacrifices that previous generations have made. Maybe end up reciting In Flanders Field and boom, Don Cherry of all people would have been extending an olive branch to new immigrants, and he'd still have a job.

if he would have said anything about new Canadians he would have still likely been the target of massive amounts of vitriol. He may have not been fired, but it still wouldn’t be pretty.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
ok, so why didn't he just simply say: "I hardly see Canadians wearing poppies anymore! Canadians need to supports our vets by wearing poppies!"
why bring up the the "you people, you love our way of life" non-sense?

Lol. Cause that's how he sees it. He's old and closely/directly connected to the situation. Those "people" he is addressing are typically not.

In marketing you target people who don't buy your product... Pretty simple.

Immigrants typically do not have the back ground to know our traditions around this holiday. Like buying poppies. Most likely they did not have family/friends that sacrificed themselves for the Canadian lifestyle we enjoy. Current immigrants were not around for that and wouldn't typically have ties to those that do. That's pretty simple and straight forward.

Of course he should have just said everyone. That would have been the PC thing to do on national TV. Or at least said something like new Canadians. But the intent is very obviously to improve support for the veterans.

He just did it in a bad way.

Reactions: AM

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Lol. Cause that's how he sees it. He's old and closely/directly connected to the situation. Those "people" he is addressing are typically not.

Immigrants typically do not have the back ground to know our traditions around this holiday. Like buying poppies. Most likely they did not have family/friends that sacrificed themselves for the Canadian lifestyle we enjoy. Current immigrants were not around for that and wouldn't typically have ties to those that do. That's pretty simple and straight forward.

Of course he should have just said everyone. That would have been the PC thing to do on national TV. Or at least said something like new Canadians. But the intent is very obviously to improve support for the veterans.

then I guess most Canadians don't know this tradition either, since I hardly saw anyone wearing them...immigrant or non-immigrant

Reactions: North

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018

Do you know how many countries specifically celebrate Remebrance Day? Every person from a Commonwealth country celebrates it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

Who do you think Don Cherry was referring to? I have no idea but he threw it out there and then wouldn't clarify when given an opportunity and here we are.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I love how the "well you elected blackface Trudeau" comment is somehow a valid argument we entertain - especially as I would guess the demographic of this board is skewed toward Western Canadians who overwhelmingly did not vote for the Liberals... Plus the whole two wrongs don't make a right thing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If that was his intent, he would have just said so. But that would have involved turning on the filter between his brain and mouth, and we know how often that switch gets stuck, if the attempt is ever even made at all, which I doubt.

It doesn’t make it right, and he finally pissed someone off enough to make a change. Certainly sounds like sponsors were done being associated with someone who says things like that.

The message behind Remembrance Day absolutely does make it right. It's an extremely important message that everyone needs to hear more about.

That message and support is far more important than an old man with his "filter switch" turned off.

It's unfortunate the way Don did it. It's more unfortunate we won't have him championing this message anymore and that the message itself can take a backseat to political correctness.

Reactions: AM

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
The message behind Remembrance Day absolutely does make it right. It's an extremely important message that everyone needs to hear more about.

That message and support is far more important than an old man with his "filter switch" turned off.

It's unfortunate the way Don did it. It's more unfortunate we won't have him championing this message anymore and that the message itself can take a backseat to political correctness.

Can you define "political correctness". I see people use it all the time and have my own assumptions but don't want to offend lol

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I love how the "well you elected blackface Trudeau" comment is somehow a valid argument we entertain - especially as I would guess the demographic of this board is skewed toward Western Canadians who overwhelmingly did not vote for the Liberals... Plus the whole two wrongs don't make a right thing.

And one guy apologized and one guy doubled down. If Trudeau came out in Black Face during his apology then maybe there would be some comparison lol

But as it is, it is grasping for straws from a minority who decry the "PC culture"

Centericedone

Mar 17, 2019
Everyone is so sensitive and and whiney. Grow some thick skin. Debates and issues ALWAYS cause reactions good and bad. No wonder children now are so weak minded. Cherry has always been abrasive. I'm not a huge fan either of him. That being said let's fire everyone who upsets us..Wahhhh.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

It’s not “the way he did it”. It’s what he said.

His “message” was tainted by singling out a group of people based on where they come from, which then becomes the message.

Yes, Remembrance Day is great. No, wearing a poppy isn’t the only way to recognize and support veterans.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No, but it just shows the hypocrisy in all this.

So much hypocrisy.

I'll leave it at that, before it gets too political.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Everyone is so sensitive and and whiney. Grow some thick skin. Debates and issues ALWAYS cause reactions good and bad. No wonder children now are so weak minded. Cherry has always been abrasive. I'm not a huge fan either of him. That being said let's fire everyone who upsets us..Wahhhh.

I know right? Like you can't even exercise your freedom of expression and not wear a poppy without some old fart whining about it on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad