News Article: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Well said. The sexist comments he has made also made me tune him out. I have some friends that are just outraged by this. Like get over it. He’s 85. He needed to retire long ago.

And the outraged people are outraged about outrage culture.

People quickly forgot about his time owning the Ice Dogs, but it is worth remembering that he had a chance to do it "his way" as an owner in junior, and promptly did a complete face plant.

He was a one season head coach as well and went 11-47-6.

It really exposed him as being outdated, and all sizzle and no steak. Don loves to talk about minor midget, GTHL, junior, parents and all that stuff but he really isn't plugged in. Complete poser, but Don has always been image above everything.

As much as he gets crap about it, Pierre McGuire is a scout at heart and truly pays attention to junior/college/prep. He goes to college practices ffs, which is both endearing and borderline obsessive. Yes he spits out way too much info about hometown/parents/Bantam AAA teams but he comes by that info honestly.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Will this Saturday's Hockey night in Canada 1st intermission be the "most watched" segment in over a decade? It is obvious many fans either switched the channel or muted their tv/device as soon as Cherry came on for the past who knows how many years and his firing has certainly created a buzz as to how Sportsnet will fill that time now.

It is going to be entertaining to hear the reactions on Saturday, as this is not going to be forgotten any time soon.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Will this Saturday's Hockey night in Canada 1st intermission be the "most watched" segment in over a decade? It is obvious many fans either switched the channel or muted their tv/device as soon as Cherry came on for the past who knows how many years and his firing has certainly created a buzz as to how Sportsnet will fill that time now.

It is going to be entertaining to hear the reactions on Saturday, as this is not going to be forgotten any time soon.
It got more attention than Remembrance Day. All these people so upset that he got fired and they stand with him , yet they paid more attention to him than they did the Vets. Funny world.

Reactions: Tighthead

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It got more attention than Remembrance Day. All these people so upset that he got fired and they stand with him , yet they paid more attention to him than they did the Vets. Funny world.

Also it gives the impression that supporting the troops only "matters" on or around Novemeber 11. Like somehow you are judged on how "canadian" or "supportive" you are based on the visual test of whether you are superficially wearing a poppy or not.

It is similar to the idea of wearing a jersey to a hockey game or on gameday makes you more of a fan than somebody who does not own one simply because people can point you out in the crowd.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh i understand why the non xeno/racist types are commenting, just don't see a winnable endgame for the other group who haven't adapted to the times, your not convince folks to backwards in time with their mindsets or anything.

The scary bit is that you have no problem justifying your own grouping and judging of people. You seem to look at the issue, feel like you’re on the ‘right’ side, skip any meaningful discussion and jump right to patting yourself on the back.

The reality is that there isn’t really just ‘two sides’ to a conversation like this, rather a vast spectrum of opinions and emotions, but many folks need to perpetuate an us vs them mentality to keep things simple. Creating a positive consensus or furthering understanding isn’t the goal here, it’s shaming each other, insulting others, and basking in a self create sense of moral superiority, all without lifting a finger to actually make things better.

Unfortunately, everyone who approaches an issue with this kind of mind set feels the same way, no matter what ‘side ‘ they are on. It’s faulty logic, and completely unhelpful to an inclusive discussion that could help further collective understanding, and potentially, grounds for commonality.

This is the exact type of issue that should spark honest discussion, not a shouting match between loudmouths. Social media is such a distorted reality, and completely unhelpful in situations like this other than to sow divisiveness and entrenchment of ideas.

The vast majority of people would never talk like this in person, and in general are much more agreeable and amendable when having to engage in discussions with real people across the table.

Reactions: Tighthead

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The scary bit is that you have no problem justifying your own grouping and judging of people. You seem to look at the issue, feel like you’re on the ‘right’ side, skip any meaningful discussion and jump right to patting yourself on the back.

The reality is that there isn’t really just ‘two sides’ to a conversation like this, rather a vast spectrum of opinions and emotions, but many folks need to perpetuate an us vs them mentality to keep things simple. Creating a positive consensus or furthering understanding isn’t the goal here, it’s shaming each other, insulting others, and basking in a self create sense of moral superiority, all without lifting a finger to actually make things better.

Unfortunately, everyone who approaches an issue with this kind of mind set feels the same way, no matter what ‘side ‘ they are on. It’s faulty logic, and completely unhelpful to an inclusive discussion that could help further collective understanding, and potentially, grounds for commonality.

This is the exact type of issue that should spark honest discussion, not a shouting match between loudmouths. Social media is such a distorted reality, and completely unhelpful in situations like this other than to sow divisiveness and entrenchment of ideas.

The vast majority of people would never talk like this in person, and in general are much more agreeable and amendable when having to engage in discussions with real people across the table.

Are the people who stood up to Cherry's comments not doing exactly what you want them to in this post though? Were it not his comments that were "divisive" and created the "us vs them" feud when he decided to use words like "you people" and "our"? I think those who defend Cherry are probably doing more to create division than those who simply wanted Cherry to say "we all" (need to wear poppy's).

16w

Jun 23, 2003
what is most surprising in all this is people who can't seem to separate Don Cherry the television personality and Don Cherry the human. it wasn't obvious enough that he was playing a character on Coaches Corner?...

on behalf of everyone who as a child was yelled at to shut up by their father for talking during Coach's Corner... I salute Don Cherry for his many years of entertainment.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
what is most surprising in all this is people who can't seem to separate Don Cherry the television personality and Don Cherry the human. it wasn't obvious enough that he was playing a character on Coaches Corner?...

on behalf of everyone who as a child was yelled at to shut up by their father for talking during Coach's Corner... I salute Don Cherry for his many years of entertainment.

Why would that be obvious?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Are the people who stood up to Cherry's comments not doing exactly what you want them to in this post though? Were it not his comments that were "divisive" and created the "us vs them" feud when he decided to use words like "you people" and "our"? I think those who defend Cherry are probably doing more to create division than those who simply wanted Cherry to say "we all" (need to wear poppy's).

I think you’re confusing me with someone who is supporting DC’s comments. I am not of that frame of mind. I also don’t support the moral superiority in display in here either. It’s social media noise bullshit.

You’re not ‘standing up to DC’s comments, you’re posting on a message board, sharing your opinions on what he said.

I see opinions being shouted, a lot of self congratulation, and an unwillingness to actually engage in discussion with the couple of posters who have tried to actually take a deeper look at the issue.

I mean, despite some solid posts by a few in here we still have posters yelling at the clouds about racism, as though that’s the central issue here.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

uh, I'm pretty sure the Don on TV is the Don in real life. You think consciously he tried to be xenophobic character on TV?

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
The world is a lot more sensitive now and censored then when I was growing up. I suppose this is getting off topic. There is no defending Cherry on what he said.. a really sad way to go out. The microscope came on and boom your gone, just like that. There’s no coming back from that.

It really isn't. Literature, film, and TV push boundaries more than ever before. People are more free than ever to live their lives how they want to live them, without being judged or cast out by society.

The only way in which things are more censored is that you have a hard time keeping a job if you publicly denigrate large groups of people. Is that really such a bad thing?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think you’re confusing me with someone who is support DC’s comments. I am not of that frame of mind.

You’re not ‘standing up to DC’s comments, you’re posting on a message board, sharing your opinions on what he said.

I see opinions being shouted, a lot of self congratulation, and an unwillingness to actually engage in discussion with the couple of posters who have tried to actually take a deeper look at the issue.

I mean, despite some solid posts by a few in here we still have posters yelling at the clouds about racism, as though that’s the central issue here.

I do not disagree with that last part, but you said it yourself, this is at the end of the day an anonymous message board and there are people who will take advantage and say whatever they want but I tend to brush those aside and attempt to join in on the discussions that I interpret to be honest and insightful.

I must disagree though with your second paragraph, as I think times have certainly changed and people do have a voice through social media. There are plenty of examples and Cherry being fired is just one of them.

Actually it is kind of funny, if you follow movie news, the whole "Sonic the hedgehog" movie blowback with how ugly the CGI character was in the first released trailer, they actually listened to their critics on social media and a couple of days ago released an updated version where they completely revamped the character which ended up delaying the movie's release date.

Times have changed, there are new ways to protest.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
uh, I'm pretty sure the Don on TV is the Don in real life. You think consciously he tried to be xenophobic character on TV?

If it fits with his end goal (ie drumming up nationalistic support) then I think it's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where the real Cherry isnt so over the top in real life.

Having said that, I do think that what you see is what you get with Cherry, regardless of whether or not the cameras are rolling.

But he still knows exactly what hes doing when he says those things, and he probably feels fully justified in doing it.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It really isn't. Literature, film, and TV push boundaries more than ever before. People are more free than ever to live their lives how they want to live them, without being judged or cast out by society.

The only way in which things are more censored is that you have a hard time keeping a job if you publicly denigrate large groups of people. Is that really such a bad thing?

Bingo, and this is going to rub certain people the wrong way, but there is only a small specific minority of a group that "feels" the world has become more censored, sensitive and controlling. Can you guess who they are?

Hint, they are the same ones who not long ago would not allow black and/or people of different colour to sit in the same restaurant, women to vote or do anything, forced homosexuals into hiding and basically felt they have the right to say and do what they want all in the name of pride and nationalism.

Again, not saying all, but if you want to know who gets their arms up in the air over people preaching equality, it is those who think their right to be racist and divisive is being taken away from them, all under the guise of freedom of speech.

16w

Jun 23, 2003

You think that 8 minutes a week of live unscripted television accurately reflects the character of an 85 year old man? Don Cherry has been on camera plenty of times where he wasn't being rushed to cram in all his favourite talking points, throw a bit of hockey into the mix and dealing with Ron butting in. And he's not the same guy.

Xenophobia isn't telling an immigrant to buy more into one small aspect of their adopted culture. Xenophobia is telling the immigrant they are not welcome.

I don't buy poppies because I don't like sharp objects sticking into my clothing... I also don't stand up when they honour military members at hockey games. I don't support military action and it doesn't diminish my Canadianness no matter what Don Cherry says. But I still enjoy watching him because he's entertaining and his heart is in the right place.

It's shameful that a man who was ranked #7 on CBC's Top 10 Greatest Canadians is being treated this way.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I guess I’ll wade in a bit...

I know that Don represents a popular opinion, like it or not, but I also think that people often agreed with some things he said, and head scratched or glossed over other things. He basically ranted on screen, without much consideration to the consequences of his opinions. He often contradicted himself in his opinions on European players, French players, women, etc... often this contradiction came when he was discussing individual people, vs topics that had ‘national’ implications (he could have lots of respect for euro player, but want fewer euros in CHL so that more “good Canadian kids” could have opportunities).

His fierce nationalism stems from a bygone generation, and definitely colours his opinions on virtually all issues he talks about.

He should have been moved from a centrepiece of Public TV years ago, if only to create a level of distance from some of his more outrageous opinions. Had the show been created with an eye for a more balanced discussion between two hosts, things could have been far more interesting, but that ship has long since sailed, and done was left to run roughshod over Ron. He became more outspoken over the years, or times changed, or both, and this should have been nipped in the bud years ago, but I digress. Don was in overtime, and had been for years; it was high time.

As for his current comments, I think we have a mix of two issues. I think our treatment of veterans as a social system has been terrible. Public donations through buying poppies has taken away from the purpose I believe. Wearing a poppy is supposed to be about remembrance, not money. Our less than reasonable (my opinion) treatment of vets has lead to donations becoming important, and thus the sale of poppies has become monetized more than it should be.

As a massive troops supporter I think Don has mixed two important issues. We need more support for our vets, but poppies is. It the answer. In my opinion wearing a poppy isn’t the only way to show respect. Some folks have them in their cars, at their desk at work, show up for the parade, observe a moment of silence, talk about our troops, enjoy going to military day games, etc... wearing a poppy isn’t the only way to show support. Ideally a strong social network for our veterans would be the greatest way that we could all show support and remembrance.

I think Don has misplaced blame for our shortcomings on the veterans support front, choosing to blame people not wearing a poppy. To make things worse he took an easy way to seemingly blame new Canadians, which I think is completely misplaced. His frustrations and the way he played them out are an issue in itself that should be discussed, but the underlying issue of veteran support is an issue all on its own.

It’s complicated because I think his miss placed blame has missed the waters of what should be an important discussion on veteran support and remembrance. I personally am not interested in discussing what Don is an isn’t; I don’t know the man, and his public statements speak for themselves. I am in the root cause of his frustrations, and the possible solutions. It’s also a meaningful discussion to see what remembrance means, and what it looks like.

Reactions: 18Hossa

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You think that 8 minutes a week of live unscripted television accurately reflects the character of an 85 year old man? Don Cherry has been on camera plenty of times where he wasn't being rushed to cram in all his favourite talking points, throw a bit of hockey into the mix and dealing with Ron butting in. And he's not the same guy.

Xenophobia isn't telling an immigrant to buy more into one small aspect of their adopted culture. Xenophobia is telling the immigrant they are not welcome.

I don't buy poppies because I don't like sharp objects sticking into my clothing... I also don't stand up when they honour military members at hockey games. I don't support military action and it doesn't diminish my Canadianness no matter what Don Cherry says. But I still enjoy watching him because he's entertaining and his heart is in the right place.

It's shameful that a man who was ranked #7 on CBC's Top 10 Greatest Canadians is being treated this way.

Canada (and all countries really) is full of people who think that anyone who doesn't live their life the same way as them should be forced into line. I also don't support military action - I think honouring WW vets is worthwhile but should not be made into a glorification of militarism - and in the eyes of people like Don Cherry that does make me less of a Canadian even though my family has lived there for generations. Do I care what Don Cherry thinks about me? No, but him having a platform to spew his opinions every week does actually influence a lot of other people who listen to him and nod their heads. It helps support a culture of "share my opinions or get out", "share my values or get out", "live like me or get out". So in that light it is a positive thing that the man is no longer being given his pulpit to spread intolerance. He might be a complete sweetheart off camera but that's what his words do, spread intolerance.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I do not disagree with that last part, but you said it yourself, this is at the end of the day an anonymous message board and there are people who will take advantage and say whatever they want but I tend to brush those aside and attempt to join in on the discussions that I interpret to be honest and insightful.

I must disagree though with your second paragraph, as I think times have certainly changed and people do have a voice through social media. There are plenty of examples and Cherry being fired is just one of them.

Actually it is kind of funny, if you follow movie news, the whole "Sonic the hedgehog" movie blowback with how ugly the CGI character was in the first released trailer, they actually listened to their critics on social media and a couple of days ago released an updated version where they completely revamped the character which ended up delaying the movie's release date.

Times have changed, there are new ways to protest.

I don’t really disagree with anything you’ve said.

Social can be used as a platform for constructive conversation, it just generally isn’t.

It’s generally a platform where people can shout out their thoughts and opinions without consequence, and without having any social checks and balances. There is also an inherent ability to complete ignore other ‘voices’ on any particular topic.

It serves a purpose, and it’s here to stay, but it’s not particularly useful as a consensus beholding tool, or a venue for meaningful discussion.

I find that in here we have better discussion because we ‘know’ each other a little bit, and that holds us accountable to each other within our little community.

Social media has created a world of false reality, and right now it’s easily exposed when you step away from the screen, but in the future who knows?

I think your example of DC being fired for his comments serves to support my position about media vs social media. Don was (finally) held accountable for his comments in CC, while those who have jumped on social media to share their thoughts will most assuredly not be.

Social media anonymity breeds a Lord of the Flies type human response, where the beast inside is able to flourish because the bright light of community and social structure is not there to keep us all in line. Lol.... sorry, got a bit carried away...

Reactions: TheDebater

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Canada (and all countries really) is full of people who think that anyone who doesn't live their life the same way as them should be forced into line. I also don't support military action and in the eyes of people like Don Cherry that does make me less of a Canadian even though my family has lived there for generations. Do I care what Don Cherry thinks about me? No, but him having a platform to spew his opinions every week does actually influence a lot of other people who listen to him and nod their heads. It helps support a culture of "share my opinions or get out", "share my values or get out", "live like me or get out". So in that light it is a positive thing that the man is no longer being given his pulpit to spread intolerance. He might be a complete sweetheart off camera but that's what his words do, spread intolerance.

I would suggest that there is a difference between supporting military action (government policy), and supporting the Canadian people who are sent over to carry it out.

The support doesn’t have to be for the policy, the support is for our brethren who are somewhere in harms way on behalf of all of us as dictated by our elected party, or home from such an engagement and are struggling as a result.

I have to admit that I have strong feelings about choosing to sit though a moment of respect for the troops at a game, as some form of protest, far more so than I would for someone choosing to sit through the anthem. The soldier in harms way is deserving of our empathy and support, we can direct our ire and disapproval’s towards the policy makers who direct the military arm of our nation.

I suppose I should add that these folks also perform peace keeping missions, rescue missions, and domestic relief missions every year. I mean they are constant involved in ice storm relief, and as most of you are familiar with flood relief and general disaster relief. Personally, I’d think standing and showing respect for a few seconds for a bunch of people who filled thousands of sand bags and moved elderly people to central locations for safety when power went down, is as good a reason as any.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I would suggest that there is a difference between supporting military action (government policy), and supporting the Canadian people who are sent over to carry it out.

The support doesn’t have to be for the policy, the support is for our brethren who are somewhere in harms way on behalf of all of us as dictated by our elected party, or home from such an engagement and are struggling as a result.

I have to admit that I have strong feelings about choosing to sit though a moment of respect for the troops at a game, as some form of protest, far more so than I would for someone choosing to sit through the anthem. The soldier in harms way is deserving of our empathy and support, we can direct our ire and disapproval’s towards the policy makers who direct the military arm of our nation.

I would agree with you, but the two are also very difficult to pry apart and I certainly think that for people like Don Cherry they are not separable. People protesting wars have always been painted as unpatriotic, even though there have always been plenty of veterans among them. I personally think that it is everyone's right not to be a patriot, and I think a lot of people who have seen the horrors of armed conflict over questionable goals would agree.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would agree with you, but the two are also very difficult to pry apart and I certainly think that for people like Don Cherry they are not separable. People protesting wars have always been painted as unpatriotic, even though there have always been plenty of veterans among them. I personally think that it is everyone's right not to be a patriot, and I think a lot of people who have seen the horrors of armed conflict over questionable goals would agree.

Sure, to each their own. But as I edited in my last post, perhaps folks who feel this way can see it their hearts to show some thanks to the sand bag fillers and disaster relief personnel.

Our armed forces also serve as the ‘national guard’.

Anyways, if you can separate policy from people, there tends to be several different reasons to be thankful.

16w

Jun 23, 2003
I have to admit that I have strong feelings about choosing to sit though a moment of respect for the troops at a game, as some form of protest, far more so than I would for someone choosing to sit through the anthem.

Muhammed Ali already made my point in 1967.

When was the last time there was a battle fought on Canadian soil? When was the last time you felt threatened from a foreign force while in Canada? Do you profess to have such a complete understanding of geopolitics that you would be willing to put other people's lives at risk to ensure your own safety from a danger that may or may not be real? That's the decision that elected officials make, and I want no part of it.

Military members are not heroes. They know what they signed up for... and if they didn't that's on them. For the people in power who make decisions, military members are just pawns on a chess board. If you can't see that all you need to do is look at 10000 years of human history.

The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that refuse military service
-Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad