News Article: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I didn't think it was that bad. Certainly not fireable. Take out the phrase "You People" and it doesn't sound so bad. It didn't even register with me as being particularly offensive coming from Cherry.

Love him or hate him, the guy was an institution and doesn't deserve to go out like this. Canada's biggest booster of the military and they can him on remembrance day?....ughhh.

"Take out the racist part and it doesn't sound so bad!"

That it didn't register to you (and to be fair, you are not alone in that) shows that, for every person willing to complain about Cherry, there's another who's become numb to his nonsense.

Frankly, after decades worth of bigoted comments, this is exactly how he deserved to go out: by getting fired when he refused to apologize. The only downside to it being on Remembrance Day is that it somewhat distracted people from the ceremonies. At the same time, given how he regularly used the military for his jingoistic stances, I see it as oddly fitting.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This is the danger of the way they speak. Their language comes off as if it includes them all and gets assumed as such. It's important not to leave it to the public to decipher what you mean, because they will assume the worst.

It is taking every ounce of willpower to refrain from going to town on the "the problem isn't X, it is illegal X" garbage.

That kind of rhetoric comes from a very dark and dishonest mindset.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
I'm happy he's gone. He's a racist loudmouth dinosaur who shouldn't have the ear of the country on a weekly basis. Good riddance. He wasn't even entertaining for the past 20 years, just increasingly "old man yells at cloud"ish. Hopefully they can find an intelligent analyst for 1st intermission commentary. I'd love it if they could poach Ray Ferraro somehow. Elliotte Friedman would be my choice from the group they have.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Some have said that Rogers should have nudged Cherry to a graceful retirement before this happened. I think the odds of Cherry gracefully retiring were slim to none, and Slim just left town. He's 85 - if he was going to retire, why didn't he do it ten years ago? He doesn't need the money, after all. He was going to hang on until they forced him to go. That's how he wanted it, and that's how it ended up...

It would've been much cleaner to simply not renew his contract. Yes, there would be backlash, but it wouldn't be at the controversial scale we see now. It would've been a simple business move.

Reactions: DrEasy

R2010

May 23, 2011
I don't think Don is too happy with anyone who doesn't wear a poppy. But from his point of view at least the immigrants might have an excuse for why they aren't wearing one and he's just stressing the significance.

One thing I'll note that I've not seen mentioned anywhere is that Don married an immigrant. But, yeah, keeping spreading the Cherry hates immigrants view.

Yeah cause appearing on Tucker Carlson is what all the pro-immigrant people do. The best way to appear like you're really reflecting on the accusation is to go on the show of a guy who literally says that white nationalism is a hoax.

R2010

May 23, 2011
He should have been fired years ago. Too many things against too many groups to get the benefit of the doubt. Most people would have been fired years ago for his statements about indigenous people etc...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
With this whole fiasco, I did uncover several bigots/xenophobes within my social media circles and cut them out pretty quick so that's a positive, its seemingly a strange thing in that whenever something somewhat racist goes down, other fellow racists just can't help themselves but proudly fly their flag...I mean even if you thought that way I can't see anything positive in blasting it all over social media and exposing yourself.

Reactions: Tighthead

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
With this whole fiasco, I did uncover several bigots/xenophobes within my social media circles and cut them out pretty quick so that's a positive, its seemingly a strange thing in that whenever something somewhat racist goes down, other fellow racists just can't help themselves but proudly fly their flag...I mean even if you thought that way I can't see anything positive in blasting it all over social media and exposing yourself.

Isn't that why it's called a dog whistle? The hounds can't help themselves....

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Isn't that why it's called a dog whistle? The hounds can't help themselves....

Haven't heard that term but it's very fitting and I like it, its like people struggle holding it in and as soon as there's an opportunity to express their hatred they get right on it like they legit cannot control themselves, its really fascinating to me to be honest.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Haven't heard that term but it's very fitting and I like it, its like people struggle holding it in and as soon as there's an opportunity to express their hatred they get right on it like they legit cannot control themselves, its really fascinating to me to be honest.

Well. dog whistle or no.. you have literally tens of thousands of people commenting on the issue, from both "sides". So yeah, alot of people want to comment on stuff. That's why we are on these forums/social media etc.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
He should have been fired years ago. Too many things against too many groups to get the benefit of the doubt. Most people would have been fired years ago for his statements about indigenous people etc...
Well said. The sexist comments he has made also made me tune him out. I have some friends that are just outraged by this. Like get over it. He’s 85. He needed to retire long ago.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Well. dog whistle or no.. you have literally tens of thousands of people commenting on the issue, from both "sides". So yeah, alot of people want to comment on stuff. That's why we are on these forums/social media etc.

Oh i understand why the non xeno/racist types are commenting, just don't see a winnable endgame for the other group who haven't adapted to the times, your not convince folks to backwards in time with their mindsets or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad