News Article: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Wow! Wild. About time, I suppose. If it was anyone else, the firing would have seemed to be guaranteed but, with Don, I really wasn't sure what to expect.

The guy knows the Xs & Os pretty well and has a good eye for the details of the game, but everything else about his public presentation - be it the persona or the person - was just abhorrent.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Honestly this is very sad and pathetic. Sporsnet should be ashamed for how they have handled this, not because this was undeserved, but he should not have been back this season to begin with.

Cherry's comments were racist, plain and simple, you should never imply that some canadians are "lesser" because they immigrated here and somehow do not support the military because they do not wear a poppy. What about all those non-immigrants who do not wear poppies either?

Anyway that topic has been beaten to death with regards to his comments but the real shame is, bigotry aside, Cherry is a Canadian icon and has been around far too long to go out like this. He should have been given his farewell party before this incident tarnished his reputation, but now he will be known for getting fired for being racist as opposed to "retiring" after a long and famous career.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If anything, I'm surprised it took this long for him to say something egregious enough to get fired over.

End of an era... that probably should have ended a few years ago, at the very least.

Cherry had a hell of a career, but like Bob Cole before him, hung on WAY past his best-before date.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I found that he didn't have much of interest to say about the game itself anymore, so I found myself not listening to him. Brian Burke, on the other hand, always has solid insights into the game, where the league is going, etc. Give me more of Burke and I'm a happy fan.

It's sad to see Cherry go out like this, but the old expression applies to him also - if you don't pick your ending, it ultimately gets picked for you. He blew it, though, by saying something both hurtful and completely out of line. If he sticks to hockey, none of this ever happens...

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I know everyone is getting their shots in right now but I don't think it will take long to miss him.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
this was a long time coming

has been making comments like this for years where he kept pushing the envelope this one was just completely over the top

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Pierre mcguire should replace him

Im honestly so much more for this than Brian Burke.

I swear to god I cant handle him and his new wannabe 20yr old bar-star haircut. What a freaking tool, Im embarrassed for him...

EIaovUUWsAIB7X-.jpg

EIaoxzAX0AwOF8i.jpg

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
My guess is they probably asked him to apologize on air, he refused, and they told him to pack his bags.

Reactions: Deku

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Im honestly so much more for this than Brian Burke.

I swear to god I cant handle him and his new wannabe 20yr old bar-star haircut. What a freaking tool, Im embarrassed for him...

EIaovUUWsAIB7X-.jpg

EIaoxzAX0AwOF8i.jpg

For real...I can't look at that ****

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
"coaches" corner

Not that I want to find myself in a position of advocating for McGuire more than I have to, but the guy does have two cup rings as an NHL assistant coach, at the very least.

As far as accolades go, it's better than Cherry ever got to as a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad