News Article: Don Cherry Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Coach's Corner was a farce anyways imo. It was pretty much a reason to go to the bathroom and grab snacks. Regardless of the Xenophobia, his opinions on hockey were very much out to lunch and sometimes he'd rant passionately about something he's obviously wrong about.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sure, to each their own. But as I edited in my last post, perhaps folks who feel this way can see it their hearts to show some thanks to the sand bag fillers and disaster relief personnel.

Our armed forces also serve as the ‘national guard’.

Anyways, if you can separate policy from people, there tends to be several different reasons to be thankful.

There is one side of people who usually aren't able to do this, and that side is usually the ones who are currently supporting Don Cherry.

It is far often the people who criticize military policy as the ones who are labled "not supporting the troops" when in fact, I view it as not supporting sending people to needlessly die is supporting the troops.

Reactions: 18Hossa

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
people also need to remember he was not fired for saying what he said.. he was fired because he wouldn't give some phony apology

Reactions: aragorn

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The guy used Remembrance Day as an excuse to alienate immigrants, but we’re supposed to sympathize with him because firing him on Remembrance Day is a slap in the face?
Not so much sympathizing with him, but I cannot recall the last Remembrance Day where a story overshadowed the actual day, especially something from the entertainment business. It could have waited a day.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There is one side of people who usually aren't able to do this, and that side is usually the ones who are currently supporting Don Cherry.

It is far often the people who criticize military policy as the ones who are labled "not supporting the troops" when in fact, I view it as not supporting sending people to needlessly die is supporting the troops.

I can agree with the sentiment. Though again I’m not sure I buy into the grouping you’re doing.

I think that there are a lot of people who think and do a lot of things, it’s not an us and them issue.

In order to label what an individual thinks or feels, I’d feel most comfortable hearing what they thought of the issue. At least I’m trying hard these days to be a spectrum thinker, consider the nuance, and not judge folks without evidence.

I think your post, like many in here, condemn Cherry’s comments, and then jump right into their own ‘you people’ opinions just like you did.

Seeing how easy it is for us all to categorize people into groups, especially a ‘them’ group, perhaps unwittingly, should give us pause. Especially when the core talking point here concerns a guy who grouped people.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bingo, and this is going to rub certain people the wrong way, but there is only a small specific minority of a group that "feels" the world has become more censored, sensitive and controlling. Can you guess who they are?

Hint, they are the same ones who not long ago would not allow black and/or people of different colour to sit in the same restaurant, women to vote or do anything, forced homosexuals into hiding and basically felt they have the right to say and do what they want all in the name of pride and nationalism.

Again, not saying all, but if you want to know who gets their arms up in the air over people preaching equality, it is those who think their right to be racist and divisive is being taken away from them, all under the guise of freedom of speech.

Not that I care, but I do find your post ironic in the same way that Cherry strokes his thoughts with a broad brush when you do exactly the same thing. Your statement is something you cannot back up whatsoever, and maybe Ice is getting to the point of how people put others down and yet , from their vantage point, will do a similar act, not xenophobic, mind you, but your ability here to judge an entire group

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You think that 8 minutes a week of live unscripted television accurately reflects the character of an 85 year old man? Don Cherry has been on camera plenty of times where he wasn't being rushed to cram in all his favourite talking points, throw a bit of hockey into the mix and dealing with Ron butting in. And he's not the same guy.

Xenophobia isn't telling an immigrant to buy more into one small aspect of their adopted culture. Xenophobia is telling the immigrant they are not welcome.

I don't buy poppies because I don't like sharp objects sticking into my clothing... I also don't stand up when they honour military members at hockey games. I don't support military action and it doesn't diminish my Canadianness no matter what Don Cherry says. But I still enjoy watching him because he's entertaining and his heart is in the right place.

It's shameful that a man who was ranked #7 on CBC's Top 10 Greatest Canadians is being treated this way.

Your actions say alot more about your character than Canadiana. You seriously don't get up for the veteran at the game?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Not that I care, but I do find your post ironic in the same way that Cherry strokes his thoughts with a broad brush when you do exactly the same thing. Your statement is something you cannot back up whatsoever, and maybe Ice is getting to the point of how people put others down and yet , from their vantage point, will do a similar act, not xenophobic, mind you, but your ability here to judge an entire group

I am talking about a specific group of persons who belong to a larger group of people. It is not brushing anyone with any broad brush, it is part of our history and there are facts to back it up. If you interpreted my comment to refer to a larger denomination of the population, then that is on you, but my statement was in direct reference to a group of people who if you want to talk about irony, are part of the same age group as Cherry, Trump, and other dinosaurs who are stuck in the past with no hope of progressing with society's advancements.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Not so much sympathizing with him, but I cannot recall the last Remembrance Day where a story overshadowed the actual day, especially something from the entertainment business. It could have waited a day.

Cherry was exploiting Remembrance Day, and the poppy campaign, for his own benefit. Propping up his brand on the backs of others.

He is as much concerned with being the arbiter of patriotism as anything else. His "support" of the troops is rarely meaningful, it has no political impact. His incoherent and ignorant rant already detracted from the day at hand. Had he chosen to even clarify his remarks it would have been fine, but he chose to exit as he did.

Reactions: TheDebater

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Because we have no proof of racial animus. Immigrant is not a race. Not all immigrants share the same or similar immutable physical characteristics. Xenophobic is the right word for prejudice against people from other countries.

Don says "you people" a lot, and while in this case it was "you people come to our country" which tipped it over to immigrants instead of "you people walking around enjoying our milk and honey" , and based on his history, I'm not convinced he is a vicious racist.. I see clear xenophobia and bigotry. Some may think that's semantics but I don't think so, I think its accurate.

Also, there is weird tendance to then claim that someone saying its xenophobia not racism is diminishing this. That's also not true. Two things can be true at once. That claiming he is a racist is not supported by evidence, and he made xenophobic and bigot remarks and Sportsnet was right to fire him.

I had to look these words up to make sure I understand them:
Xenophobia - A fear of foreigners or strangers
Bigotry - The character or mode of thought of a bigot; obstinate and unreasonable attachment to a particular creed, opinion, practice, ritual, or party organization; excessive zeal or warmth in favor of a party, sect, or opinion; intolerance of the opinions of others.
Racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

16w

Jun 23, 2003
You seriously don't get up for the veteran at the game?

if there was a teacher appreciation night, a garbage man appreciation night, a captain of industry appreciation night, yes i would gladly stand up and give a hearty cheer as one cog in this great machine we call society. there is certainly no dearth of appreciation on my part for all the people who wake up every morning and do their best in whatever that may be.

lionizing the military is part of the propaganda that perpetuates it's existence. in the U.S, the military pays the NFL ridiculous amounts of money to have these ceremonies. do you think Canadians would have been sent to Afghanistan if it weren't for the U.S?

if you grew up in Canada, a country of near limitless opportunity, and feel that you would be of most service to the world by signing over your free will and picking up a weapon, there is no reason for me to stand up and salute you during a hockey game.

coming from a family of diplomats, i learned at an early age that a peace with words takes a lot more courage and is far more effective than trying for peace through force.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I can agree with the sentiment. Though again I’m not sure I buy into the grouping you’re doing.

I think that there are a lot of people who think and do a lot of things, it’s not an us and them issue.

In order to label what an individual thinks or feels, I’d feel most comfortable hearing what they thought of the issue. At least I’m trying hard these days to be a spectrum thinker, consider the nuance, and not judge folks without evidence.

I think your post, like many in here, condemn Cherry’s comments, and then jump right into their own ‘you people’ opinions just like you did.

Seeing how easy it is for us all to categorize people into groups, especially a ‘them’ group, perhaps unwittingly, should give us pause. Especially when the core talking point here concerns a guy who grouped people.

Do that, and then feel free to please get back to me.

I think you are just assuming I haven't listened to people "on the other sides" thoughts. I have, and it reinforces my own stance as correct more than anything.

I do agree, that a spectrum and not a box is a better way to evaluate.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Also here is the Don Cherry rally. Gee does this fit a certain type of box? :sarcasm:

F61B824E-9166-4910-9A92-FCEC3AB96497.jpeg

Reactions: 18Hossa and Deku

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
if there was a teacher appreciation night, a garbage man appreciation night, a captain of industry appreciation night, yes i would gladly stand up and give a hearty cheer as one cog in this great machine we call society. there is certainly no dearth of appreciation on my part for all the people who wake up every morning and do their best in whatever that may be.

lionizing the military is part of the propaganda that perpetuates it's existence. in the U.S, the military pays the NFL ridiculous amounts of money to have these ceremonies. do you think Canadians would have been sent to Afghanistan if it weren't for the U.S?

if you grew up in Canada, a country of near limitless opportunity, and feel that you would be of most service to the world by signing over your free will and picking up a weapon, there is no reason for me to stand up and salute you during a hockey game.

coming from a family of diplomats, i learned at an early age that a peace with words takes a lot more courage and is far more effective than trying for peace through force.
It is about Remembrance of what transpired in World Wars, mainly. "Lionizing" may be your interpretation, but Remembering the sacrifice is what it is supposed to be about. I guess the military guy in the stands did not give his best, only those you described can do that? As well as diplomats i guess?

The U.S. is what it is, and Canada is its own sovereign nation, and sometimes going to Afghanistan or wherever, whether in active duty or peacekeeping all require people who give their best, even their lives , to protect people from tyranny, dictators, and you are welcome to not share their contribution to society. I guess their sacrifice allowed you that right

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am talking about a specific group of persons who belong to a larger group of people. It is not brushing anyone with any broad brush, it is part of our history and there are facts to back it up. If you interpreted my comment to refer to a larger denomination of the population, then that is on you, but my statement was in direct reference to a group of people who if you want to talk about irony, are part of the same age group as Cherry, Trump, and other dinosaurs who are stuck in the past with no hope of progressing with society's advancements.

You kinda did, but that is the norm these days. Not everyone who believes in one thing automatically believes in the other, just as many immigrants, because Don Cherry did not personally see them, had poppies I'm sure. Does not allow him to generalize them all, right?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Do that, and then feel free to please get back to me.

I think you are just assuming I haven't listened to people "on the other sides" thoughts. I have, and it reinforces my own stance as correct more than anything.

I do agree, that a spectrum and not a box is a better way to evaluate.

I’m trying not assuming anything about people in limited exposure, that was my point. Nothing heroic, just an attempt at moderating my own snap judgments.

I think that there may not actually be an ‘other side’ in the way that many here are categorizing it. From what I have read there are several points of support for DC for example, several are simply in support of the veterans, irrespective of the wording he used, or the grouping, while others may support the grouping, and are fearful of the spectre of unpatriotic immigrants. Both opinions may in general show support DC, but they are not necessarily mutually supportive.

Anyways, I don’t want to get bogged down any further online. Simply put, I found it interesting how easy it is for people to group people while condemning someone for grouping people, all from the strengthened position of being ‘right’, which of course is the home base of most opinions.

Just a personal caution really, on how the core issue, and forging a means of understanding and reconciliation get lost so quickly in the quest to be ‘right vs wrong’ and to drown out, or discredit the opposition first and foremost.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

What about when these same folks pick up a shovel to dig your ass out of a flood, or shepherds your grandma to a community support station so she doesn’t have to sit home for a week in the winter with no power after an ice storm, is that worthy enough to get your butt out of your seat?

I mean it’s not garbage collection or classroom teaching, but it isn’t running around in he desert with a gun either.

Soldiers perform those duties for us every year, perhaps consider the broader perspective of the job these people do.

Your local politician is a better place to direct your displeasure in regards to Canadian foreign policy, not your neighbours in uniforms.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The scary bit is that you have no problem justifying your own grouping and judging of people. You seem to look at the issue, feel like you’re on the ‘right’ side, skip any meaningful discussion and jump right to patting yourself on the back.

The reality is that there isn’t really just ‘two sides’ to a conversation like this, rather a vast spectrum of opinions and emotions, but many folks need to perpetuate an us vs them mentality to keep things simple. Creating a positive consensus or furthering understanding isn’t the goal here, it’s shaming each other, insulting others, and basking in a self create sense of moral superiority, all without lifting a finger to actually make things better.

Unfortunately, everyone who approaches an issue with this kind of mind set feels the same way, no matter what ‘side ‘ they are on. It’s faulty logic, and completely unhelpful to an inclusive discussion that could help further collective understanding, and potentially, grounds for commonality.

This is the exact type of issue that should spark honest discussion, not a shouting match between loudmouths. Social media is such a distorted reality, and completely unhelpful in situations like this other than to sow divisiveness and entrenchment of ideas.

The vast majority of people would never talk like this in person, and in general are much more agreeable and amendable when having to engage in discussions with real people across the table.

All these words to defend xenophobes? Yeah I categorically disagree with everything you wrote and have zero tolerance for any argument that supports real hate of any kind, keep fighting your fight though lol.

Reactions: Tighthead

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I’m trying not assuming anything about people in limited exposure, that was my point. Nothing heroic, just an attempt at moderating my own snap judgments.

I think that there may not actually be an ‘other side’ in the way that many here are categorizing it. From what I have read there are several points of support for DC for example, several are simply in support of the veterans, irrespective of the wording he used, or the grouping, while others may support the grouping, and are fearful of the spectre of unpatriotic immigrants. Both opinions may in general show support DC, but they are not necessarily mutually supportive.

Anyways, I don’t want to get bogged down any further online. Simply put, I found it interesting how easy it is for people to group people while condemning someone for grouping people, all from the strengthened position of being ‘right’, which of course is the home base of most opinions.

Just a personal caution really, on how the core issue, and forging a means of understanding and reconciliation get lost so quickly in the quest to be ‘right vs wrong’ and to drown out, or discredit the opposition first and foremost.

Then those people are just willfully ignorant I guess.

IMO you write a whole lot, but you say very little.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
All these words to defend xenophobes? Yeah I categorically disagree with everything you wrote and have zero tolerance for any argument that supports real hate of any kind, keep fighting your fight though lol.

You seem angry, and perhaps a little confused as to what I wrote. In no way shape or form do any of my posts suggest support for anything other than being cautious about grouping people. How you got where you went I think may stem from something else.

As for the bolder bit, I’m not sure this should be a proud statement to make in response to my post.

I do find it interesting to note that you had to take my post and turn it into a defence of xenophobia so that you could discredit it outright.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Then those people are just willfully ignorant I guess.

IMO you write a whole lot, but you say very little.

I’m sorry that you missed the point entirely, them being ignorant or not isn’t the issue, and you’re not in a position to say who’s willful or not. The very nature of coming to a similar support conclusion to another viewpoint is the point. You can’t just paint everyone who support DC with the same brush.

Well I suppose you can, but then you’re not much different in the end now are you?

That’s ok, I won’t be offended if you skip on by. I’m not impressed by your posted opinions either, so we’re good I think.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
You seem angry, and perhaps a little confused as to what I wrote. In way shape or form do any of my posts suggest support for anything other than being cautious about grouping people. How you got where you went I think may stem from something else.

As for the bolder bit, I’m not sure this should be a proud statement to make in response to my post.

I do find it interesting to note that you had to take my post and turn it into a defence of xenophobia so that you could discredit it outright.

More disappointed that you think there is justifiably more than 1 right side of things when it comes to something like this in the year 2019 but not surprised in the least. A differing topic I could understand your point but not something so clear as the hate exhibited in this scenario. Idiocracy is very real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->