WJC: Don Cherry: "American Development?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyguy18*

Don Cherry is the reason why other countries LOVE to see Canada lose in hockey.

THAT'S WHY THIS WIN FEELS SOOOO GOOD!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How you like that, Don???? :yo:

USA!!!!!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
National Hockey League, Canadian Hockey League. You should have listened to his point of those players coming to the CHL to better prepare for the NHL.

Stop the embarrassment, good god, are you actually serious? These kids are good, because they are elitle Athletes, from the US.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Name all your eligible players who couldn't play for USA because there teams wouldn't let them go. Now do i really need to name all the Canadians that could've played for Team Canada?

Why does that even matter? If a player goes professional they're obviously not going to play in the WJC. NHL contracts are just a tiny bit more important.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
National Hockey League, Canadian Hockey League. You should have listened to his point of those players coming to the CHL to better prepare for the NHL.

Would you be surprised to learn that the CHL has some teams in the US?

I listened; there was no point. Just the delusional ramblings of an old man.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is a ridiculous post. Nearly half your players were trained in Canada, under Canadian coaches and playing against the most elite level of junior hockey - CHL.

Good on Don for telling it like it is - if our best players weren't already in the NHL, we'd crush every team, every year.

14 to 9 do some math. And like I said who cares where they were trained the are still American.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Don Cherry is the reason why other countries LOVE to see Canada lose in hockey.

THAT'S WHY THIS WIN FEELS SOOOO GOOD!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How you like that, Don???? :yo:

USA!!!!!

seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that I enjoy watching Canada lose so much I probably wouldn't even watch or care about the WJC. the more serious they take it, the more I enjoy this win.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
I actually liked on NHL Power Play (or was it NHL Live?) the other day when they were talking about the Canadian arrogance and sense of entitlement towards the game of hockey. Seems like a lot of that has oozed into this thread.

The remarks weren't that controversial, at least not as much as the whiny OP made it seem.

Hey if we ever took over America's favorite pass time, I wouldn't blame you to be arrogant and have a "sense of entitlement".

Jesus

Oct 5, 2006
seriously, if it wasn't for the fact that I enjoy watching Canada lose so much I probably wouldn't even watch or care about the WJC. the more serious they take it, the more I enjoy this win.

Cool story bro.

huge*

we win this tourny year in and year out without our best eligible players and everybody knows it. no need to keep bringing it up. we are eons ahead of the world its just obvious. that's why we play with a watered down team; to make it at least close for other countries.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The rant about them playing in Canada is weak.
I know of at least 20 American kids playing the GTHL.
Where they learn/play isn't relevant, they're still American.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Maybe not funny, but it is true.No one is bitter. The best team doesn not always win and never will always win.

The best team always wins. The most skilled group of individuals, doesn't.

What a moron, that was embarrassing to watch.

Way to bring up carlson, who has played all of half of a season in the CHL and was drafted highly based on his development in the USHL.

what an old clown. I apologize to any Americans that had to watch that.

Didn't watch HNIC, but if he mentioned Carlson as a product of Canadian development, that is a big :facepalm:. He played as a rookie and dominated. That just says he was already a great player before joining the OHL.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The best team doesn not always win and never will always win.

I will never understand this idea. The goal of a sport is to win. The team that wins is the one that fulfilled the challenge. The only measurable "best" is which team wins (barring insane officiating).

You can say that a particular team is more likely to win, say, a best of seven series. But if the test is just one game and not best of seven, then it's irrelevant.

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
Would you be surprised to learn that the CHL has some teams in the US?

I listened; there was no point. Just the delusional ramblings of an old man.

Not surprised at all. Those players decided to come to the CHL, Don was saying they came here because we have the best development, not that they were developed in Canada. He was saying Tyler Biggs was devloped in Canada.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Not surprised at all. Those players decided to come to the CHL, Don was saying they came here because we have the best development, not that they were developed in Canada. He was saying Tyler Biggs was devloped in Canada.

Biggs played in the GTHL with the Junior Canadiens.

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
I will never understand this idea. The goal of a sport is to win. The team that wins is the one that fulfilled the challenge. The only measurable "best" is which team wins (barring insane officiating).

You can say that a particular team is more likely to win, say, a best of seven series. But if the test is just one game and not best of seven, then it's irrelevant.

The best team that particular game? Yes. Not the best team though. Toronto beats Washington, that doesn't make them the better team, they were better on that night.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The US under 17 and under 18 program is the best in the world.
Canada can't go that route, I'm surprised some European countries don't look at it and bring in a similar system.
Though it is expensive.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

It's a stupid point. If anyone is seriously arguing for the US development of hockey players over Canada's, they're just trying to stir the pot or they're clueless.

That doesn't mean that there aren't other productive avenues of hockey development outside of the CHL because there are.

Based on Cherry's rant, Toews is a credit to American hockey development. Crosby came to an American high school, as did Toews for hockey. They're products of American hockey development.....See how stupid that sounds?

OilersFaninVan

Sep 20, 2007
I don't get how that matters one bit. A wide percentage of Olympians have honed their skills for US-based NHL clubs. Should they all play for the US?

Majority of guys from US NTDP, how did Canada help train them?

Well how about this you let Canada keep all its young players at the draft. US teams can only draft Europeans and US players from here on and will see who wins the stanley cup each year?

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Don Cherry is a crazy old man who offer very little in-terms of actual hockey knowledge.

http://www.nhl.com/trophies/adams.html

Jack Adams Award

The Jack Adams Award is an annual award presented by the National Hockey League Broadcasters' Association to the NHL coach adjudged to have contributed the most to his team's success. The winner is selected in a poll among members of the NHL Broadcasters' Association at the end of the regular season.

The award was presented by the NHL Broadcasters' Association in 1974 to commemorate the late Jack Adams, former coach and general manager of the Detroit Red Wings. His lifetime dedication to hockey has served as an inspiration to all who aspire to further the game.

1976 Don Cherry Boston Bruins

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Well how about this you let Canada keep all its young players at the draft. US teams can only draft Europeans and US players from here on and will see who wins the stanley cup each year?

Have you ever heard a Canadian player say I want to get drafted by a Canadian team?

I think there's been 2 cases of top draft picks that refused (or made in known they didn't want a certain team to draft them) and both were Canadians refusing to play for a Canadian based team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad