WJC: Don Cherry: "American Development?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Coaches Corner tonight, Cherry just basically went on a tirade and talked about people (I don't know who he was targeting) saying that American development of hockey was responsible for the WJC win. He then mentions the players that could've played for Canada, saying how "we aren't suppose to say that". Then lists some of the players from the American team that play here in Canada.

It was great.

hockeyguy18*

How was that funny? Another bitter Canadian...get over it, YOU LOST!!!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sounded like a sore loser to me.

goldslide7.jpg

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Coaches Corner tonight, Cherry just basically went on a tirade and talked about people (I don't know who he was targeting) saying that American development of hockey was responsible for the WJC win. He then mentions the players that could've played for Canada, saying how "we aren't suppose to say that". Then lists some of the players from the American team that play here in Canada.

It was great.

Wow, this happened like 2 seconds ago and not only that it was not all that controversial.

:help:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Cherry wasn't too senile to use the internets, he would make a great forum troll.

Tombernack

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
American hockey fans aren't gonna be happy about this. He really went off. :laugh:

Yeah he did:laugh:.

At least he wasn't making stuff up. He admitted that USA deserved the win and he was happy to see them win. He just took issue with people saying that USAs JR development is now on par with Canadas. To which Don argued that Hockey Canada produces NHL ready players before they turn 20 and that a lot of the Americans play their Jr. in Canada and NOT in the States. Hopefully USA fans don't take it the wrong way and think Don was making excuses.

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
Aren't most of the US players from US NDTP? Don't really think he has a leg to stand on with this, as usual.

He talked about the Canadians in the nhl who could have played and the american players playing in the CHL.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I dont care where they learn the game all that matters is

2010 wj champoins: USA

and only 9 guys played in the chl, the other 14 where from the usndtp or the ncaa

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
American hockey fans aren't gonna be happy about this. He really went off. :laugh:

They shouldn't be, at least the first point about who Canada was missing. Any fan of the game would realize that.

The second point wasn't really that great. For one, these guys develop all over at different stages of their careers. The "Canadian system" taking credit for guys like Carlson, Fowler, Bourque, Morin, etc. is weak to put it nicely. Not one of those guys has spent more than one season in the CHL.

I'm not sure who he was targeting but I'm assuming it was Canadian journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA