WJC: Don Cherry: "American Development?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyguy18*

Why does it matter where the American kids play junior hockey? They're still American, regardless...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Name all your eligible players who couldn't play for USA because there teams wouldn't let them go. Now do i really need to name all the Canadians that could've played for Team Canada?

Don't start this, for the love of god, let the crazy old man, sound crazy, and then just look away embarrassed.

The USA won because they were the better team and the best team in the Tournament.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
He talked about the Canadians in the nhl who could have played and the american players playing in the CHL.

I don't get how that matters one bit. A wide percentage of Olympians have honed their skills for US-based NHL clubs. Should they all play for the US?

Majority of guys from US NTDP, how did Canada help train them?

LAX attack*

Don't start this, for the love of god, let the crazy old man, sound crazy, and then just look away embarrassed.

The USA won because they were the better team and the best team in the Tournament.

I am not going to go any farther than i did, just making a point, and yes i will say the US did play better than team Canada in the tourney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Name all your eligible players who couldn't play for USA because there teams wouldn't let them go. Now do i really need to name all the Canadians that could've played for Team Canada?

How about this deal....Americans, and fans of all other countries will concede the WJC going forward, the tournament ceases to need to exist due to the amazing team Canada could put forth each year if not for the NHL.

In turn, Canadians will cease to continue to brag about their depth, making threads like "ZOMG OUR Z TEAM COULD TOTALLY WIN SILVER IN THE OLYMPICS."

Deal?

Das Uber

Kitten Mittens
Feb 4, 2007
Omicron Persei 8
smallestviolinwz4.jpg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I am not going to go any farther than i did, just making a point, and yes i will say the US did play better than team Canada in the tourney

You shouldn't have even gone that far, it's pointless. Don Cherry is a crazy old man who's out of touch with hockey today, he needs to be believed and listened to no more then when your grandpa rants about some random thing he doesn't have enough information to make an informed comment on.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

U.S. is already at a disadvantage simply because their best athletes aren't even playing hockey.

Pointing out that Canada's team was under-skilled and less talented because several key players are in the NHL already just highlights how little top-end depth Canada, the best hockey country in the world, really has compared to other countries.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Before you hate on Cherry, he did say at the beginning how some are saying there is something wrong with Canadian hockey (Canadian sportscasters)
He's just telling it like it is. A number of NHL players were eligible.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

Don fully acknowledged that the US won because they were the best team in the tournament.

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
I dont care where they learn the game all that matters is

2010 wj champoins: USA

and only 9 guys played in the chl, the other 14 where from the usndtp or the ncaa
This is a ridiculous post. Nearly half your players were trained in Canada, under Canadian coaches and playing against the most elite level of junior hockey - CHL.

Good on Don for telling it like it is - if our best players weren't already in the NHL, we'd crush every team, every year.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
What a moron, that was embarrassing to watch.

Way to bring up carlson, who has played all of half of a season in the CHL and was drafted highly based on his development in the USHL.

what an old clown. I apologize to any Americans that had to watch that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Before you hate on Cherry, he did say at the beginning how some are saying there is something wrong with Canadian hockey (Canadian sportscasters)
He's just telling it like it is. A number of NHL players were eligible.

No he's trying to fill his show with some random hockey related thing, while he takes a break from apologizing for the Leafs.

He's not calling it like it is, he's being a crazy old man, without enough information.

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
I never thought that the Canada being one of the best, if not the best, at young player development was in debate. We go on about American development because we're producing better players than we were ten years ago (not to mention the USHL is one of the better junior leagues there is. No, not on par with the CHL, but still.) And I also don't recall anyone seriously saying the US was now claiming to be "number 1" in player development. (If we did, it was probably out of euphoria out of beating Canada in the final.)

The whole rant sounded like sour grapes to me.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually liked on NHL Power Play (or was it NHL Live?) the other day when they were talking about the Canadian arrogance and sense of entitlement towards the game of hockey. Seems like a lot of that has oozed into this thread.

The remarks weren't that controversial, at least not as much as the whiny OP made it seem.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This is a ridiculous post. Nearly half your players were trained in Canada, under Canadian coaches and playing against the most elite level of junior hockey - CHL.

For how long? You do realize that other than Walker, Jenks and Lashoff, all those guys he listed spent as much time if not more with the NTDP/USHL? It goes both ways.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
wow i love the way this thread is going. Get over it, whether your side won or lost, quit being sore. Way to go Americans for winning one and Canadians, you can't win em all, 5 in a row is pretty good.

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
I don't get how that matters one bit. A wide percentage of Olympians have honed their skills for US-based NHL clubs. Should they all play for the US?

Majority of guys from US NTDP, how did Canada help train them?

National Hockey League, Canadian Hockey League. You should have listened to his point of those players coming to the CHL to better prepare for the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad