Confirmed with Link: Domi for Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm pretty sure this thread is covertly about who the Leafs 2C is.
Assume that was for me. IMO that would be Tavares but apparently Kadri is the correct answer. Unless Kadri also qualifies as a 1C???

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I think most Yotes fans have liked what Chayka has done, but it has not translated to the ice. It's all about winning. IF this team gets a new investor and the team stumbles again, I believe Chayka will be on the hot seat. I hope this all becomes moot because I think we are capable of making the playoffs or in the hunt.

The thing is though that there are sooo many good teams in the west. It is literally stacked. Other issue is that it takes time to build a contender. Take the LA Kings who won two stanley cups, they drafted Anze Kopitar all the way back in 2005 and he's still producing like a #1C in this league. Looking at the Pacific division, it's impossible to know if Vegas was a one hit wonder and Edmonton can't even make the playoffs despite having Connor McDavid and Draisaitl.

There's only two places you want to be at the end of the year, at the top of the league or at the bottom. If the Coyotes weren't ready to compete then it's better to get a top pick. At least your management understands the importance of the center position for the success of a team. You can always convert/play a center to the wing, you can't play a winger at center. The good news is that Arizona proved they are capable of playing good hockey when they played liked a top 10 team in the league in the latter part of the season. Had they played like that all season they would have made the playoffs.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So rather than the slow progression of a team that we see in MLB, where high draft picks have far less effect on the team's success, the way to be good in the NHL is to lose games for some years in a row in order to accumlate picks, and then spring on the scene by having a run of years in the playoffs. No ramp up. This is why I find the argument that Chayka's moves haven't translated into wins (yet) specious.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So rather than the slow progression of a team that we see in MLB, where high draft picks have far less effect on the team's success, the way to be good in the NHL is to lose games for some years in a row in order to accumlate picks, and then spring on the scene by having a run of years in the playoffs. No ramp up. This is why I find the argument that Chayka's moves haven't translated into wins (yet) specious.
It really hurts that we haven't gotten that Franchise center, really hard to win in nhl without one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka has made trades for the present and future, but mostly for the present. Most posters have liked most the moves, including me, but it has not translated into wins. All you have to do is look at the standings. Will it translate this year? Only time will tell. Year four of the rebuild should result in some serious progression of the whole team, which should translate into wins. This year we have more talent than any other team of probably the last ten years. In fact, last year we had more talent than the last ten years and the team s--- the bed. Of course, most made excuses.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Chayka has made trades for the present and future, but mostly for the present. Most posters have liked most the moves, including me, but it has not translated into wins. All you have to do is look at the standings. Will it translate this year? Only time will tell. Year four of the rebuild should result in some serious progression of the whole team, which should translate into wins. This year we have more talent than any other team of probably the last ten years. In fact, last year we had more talent than the last ten years and the team s--- the bed. Of course, most made excuses.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong. When you say year four of the rebuild do you mean in two years from now? Because Chayka has been GM of the Yotes for 2 years so the rebuild began when he became GM?

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Well this has pretty much been the formula of the past SC winners. Pittsburgh sucked and drafted Crosby(1st), Malkin(2nd) and Fleury(1st). Chicago sucked which allowed them to draft Kane and Toews. Toronto is pretty much doing the same thing and have some very nice pieces. It is what has allowed them to sign Tavares. Back when Stamkos was UFA, he had the option to sign with his hometown team but didn't because they sucked. Good teams attract good players. What will be interesting to see is if Mattews will pull a Tavares when he becomes UFA and come play for the Yotes lol. The only team that has not been able to get it together are the Oilers and they have drafted first overall more than any other team in recent history. That's why I like that Hayton pick. Having a strong center depth is the backbone of any team.

Reactions: Grimes

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Look the GM of the MTL Canadiens is stupid because of the moves he made that led a 2nd place team in the East to nearly last place in the league in a matter of a couple of years, not because of the stupid poll. PK Subban led his team two games away from a stanley cup. Lars Eller another center was traded away and treated like a red headed step child his entire career here despite being the team's leading forward in the run to the ECF and the team having no centers. Lars Eller ended up scoring the stanley cup game winning goal for Washington. Radulov was allowed to walk for nothing despite being a huge fan favorite. He went from a 54 point winger in Montreal to 72 points in Dallas. I can keep going but I think you get the idea. If you want to make a case for Bergevin being an intelligent GM then have at it, but I think you're going to have a difficult time.

Or the trend continues and Chayka hit another homerun? After so many good moves why wouldn't you give your GM the benefit of the doubt? Are you one of those glass half empty guys?

This is the GM of the MTL Canadiens btw. Even the other GMs around the league don't respect him. How can you see this and not laugh at the guy.

Canadians did well and tanked mostly because of Price and his great play, injuries or poor play. Bergevin isn't dumb in spite of your revisionist history.

As for Chayka, I like him and like his player moves, so far they have worked out at least on paper. Timing and luck play a roll in trades. Chayka is a young GM and I hope his success so far doesn't lead to moves where he thinks he can outsmart everyone, like the Hayton pick which most had going much later or spotting a 1C in Galchenyuk but only given up a third line wing for him. Trades tend to even out over time, you win some you lose some.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Even with a healthy Price and Weber, that's still a bad team. It's very possible they finish the season without a single 20-goal guy (if Pacioretty is traded).

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Canadians did well and tanked mostly because of Price and his great play, injuries or poor play. Bergevin isn't dumb in spite of your revisionist history.

As for Chayka, I like him and like his player moves, so far they have worked out at least on paper. Timing and luck play a roll in trades. Chayka is a young GM and I hope his success so far doesn't lead to moves where he thinks he can outsmart everyone, like the Hayton pick which most had going much later or spotting a 1C in Galchenyuk but only given up a third line wing for him. Trades tend to even out over time, you win some you lose some.

Agreed that trades tend to even out over time but the Galchenyuk trade was a low risk, high reward type of trade. Exactly the kind of trades you want your GM making.

As for Hayton, the consensus pick at that spot was Zadina and Zadina has flaws in his game. He was passed on by two teams, the same team you are claiming is not dumb in your 2nd sentence. Zadina is weak defensively and can't win board battles against kids. Hayton plays a mans game and a 200ft game as well as playing a premium position. Wingers fall from the sky like candies. You can always find a winger to fill out your club. Get your center depth sorted out first.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Even with a healthy Price and Weber, that's still a bad team. It's very possible they finish the season without a single 20-goal guy (if Pacioretty is traded).
This is kinda funny to read on a Coyote's forum. They had two last year to our one.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Agreed that trades tend to even out over time but the Galchenyuk trade was a low risk, high reward type of trade. Exactly the kind of trades you want your GM making.

As for Hayton, the consensus pick at that spot was Zadina and Zadina has flaws in his game. He was passed on by two teams, the same team you are claiming is not dumb in your 2nd sentence. Zadina is weak defensively and can't win board battles against kids. Hayton plays a mans game and a 200ft game as well as playing a premium position. Wingers fall from the sky like candies. You can always find a winger to fill out your club. Get your center depth sorted out first.
I suspect the world wrote similar things about Marner as Zadina, I think the result will be similar. He is very talented.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fair, but we have hope (Perlini, Fischer, OEL, etc.). They have Paul Byron.
They have Gallagher, Drouin, and Byron who has done it last two seasons. I would also not be surprised to see Domi make it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chayka moves have translated to wins at the AHL level. Improve the development system and it will eventually translate at nhl level. That’s what he’s done.
Keep refilling the cupboards and eventually you will mine diamonds.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I suspect the world wrote similar things about Marner as Zadina, I think the result will be similar. He is very talented.

Of course Zadina is talented but it's not a sure thing either. Time will tell. Marner is one of the best playmaking wingers in the league. Him along with Tavares have the potential to explode and be the best duo tandem in the entire NHL and Marner is about too get PAID!

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

I guess Zadina fell because teams drafted by position. But is there a possibility he turns out to be the Yakupov of the draft?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Keep refilling the cupboards and eventually you will mine diamonds.
He’s been the first GM to actually solidify the positions that matter for long term success. Need C’s, he gets them. Need D, he gets them. Need a starting goalie, he finds it. We’ve had lip service and we’ve been told players were unavailable in the past. Chayka’s delivered. I was his harshest critic when he was hired. He’s proved himself in less than 2 years. Results last year were unfortunate at Nhl level but he got rid of the biggest issue in Domingue. He didn’t hesitate. He just said f*** it you can’t play here and moved on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Please forgive me if I'm wrong. When you say year four of the rebuild do you mean in two years from now? Because Chayka has been GM of the Yotes for 2 years so the rebuild began when he became GM?
No, I think the rebuild started when the NHL sold the team to IA, before Chayka became GM.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka moves have translated to wins at the AHL level. Improve the development system and it will eventually translate at nhl level. That’s what he’s done.
True, but the trades that he has done for the Coyotes have not translated into W's. I'm more than happy he did not trade one of our kids for a over the hill vet. He is sticking to his game plan, so hopefully everything works out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He’s been the first GM to actually solidify the positions that matter for long term success. Need C’s, he gets them. Need D, he gets them. Need a starting goalie, he finds it. We’ve had lip service and we’ve been told players were unavailable in the past. Chayka’s delivered. I was his harshest critic when he was hired. He’s proved himself in less than 2 years. Results last year were unfortunate at Nhl level but he got rid of the biggest issue in Domingue. He didn’t hesitate. He just said **** it you can’t play here and moved on.
He doesn't sit on his hands, that's for sure. This year is going to be very important for this franchise and AB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad