Confirmed with Link: Domi for Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The way they were pushing Domi on the web last year (it was "What makes Domi tick" or something on Facebook whenever I visited), I got the feeling they really tried to trade him a really long time. Was I right in this? If I was right, why did they try this?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The way they were pushing Domi on the web last year (it was "What makes Domi tick" or something on Facebook whenever I visited), I got the feeling they really tried to trade him a really long time. Was I right in this? If I was right, why did they try this?
I don't think the guys who run marketing really work that close with operations.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah, the marketing team isn't really involved in Chayka's personnel decisions. I can say that whoever's running the marketing arm was probably pretty aggravated about having to rewrite the campaign when Domi left. :laugh:

No doubt..... :laugh:

Most good marketing types can pivot a campaign if need be.

TBH I hadn’t really seen that much emphasis on Domi before the trade. Other than his image on the website background and a portrait just outside gate 4 at GRA.

If there was one fault... they took their sweet time removing Domi’s image after the trade went down.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m not as psyched as the rest of you. I’m sad to see him go and I’m hesitant to ditch a hood linemate for Strome. I’m also not confident Galchenyuk is a center. But he scores goals and helps the PP. we need that. I’m ambivalent.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I’m not as psyched as the rest of you. I’m sad to see him go and I’m hesitant to ditch a hood linemate for Strome. I’m also not confident Galchenyuk is a center. But he scores goals and helps the PP. we need that. I’m ambivalent.

I'm basically with you on all that, especially the center part.
But I think the Domi/Strome chemistry is overstated. There may have been something there but we didn't have a huge sample to go on.
They only played together about 55 total minutes 5 on 5, which is somewhere around 4 games worth @ 2nd line minutes or 6-7 games @ 3rd line minutes.

For quite a while Strome was "stuck" with Fischer/Perlini who were ice cold at the time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chucky had his best ppg stats as a "C", the French Connection just didn't let him find his way...I'd say the Montreal talent evaluation meter is somewhat skewed and they could be completely wrong. I'm hoping so!
But, Montreal has maybe the worst C group in the NHL. Do you really think they would trade a 1C or even a 2C for a third line winger, maybe second line if he rebounds in Domi? I don't think it is possible that Montreal is that stupid.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But, Montreal has maybe the worst C group in the NHL. Do you really think they would trade a 1C or even a 2C for a third line winger, maybe second line if he rebounds in Domi? I don't think it is possible that Montreal is that stupid.
Who cares if your team has maybe the worst C group in the NHL. He produced when allowed to play C. It's going to be interesting to see how he plays at C, as he has much to prove as he is not good in the dot, and I have read his D needs work. Worst case scenario he plays C in a pinch or when we have injuries. He shoots the puck and can score, so bottom line I don't care where the hell he plays.:)

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Who cares if your team has maybe the worst C group in the NHL. He produced when allowed to play C. It's going to be interesting to see how he plays at C, as he has much to prove as he is not good in the dot, and I have read his D needs work. Worst case scenario he plays C in a pinch or when we have injuries. He shoots the puck and can score, so bottom line I don't care where the hell he plays.:)

Galchenyuk should have been developed at center not because that's what he was drafted as but because Montreal had no better options. It's not a co-incidence that the current management team took a 1st place team in the eastern conference to last place in just a few years. Just some pure unadulterated incompetence.

For all the criticism Galchenyuk gets about his defensive game he had the fewest goals against among forwards on our team and was part of some VERY potent even strength lines. The Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov line was one of the hottest in the league with the team being in first place overall before his injury and setting a franchise record for best start accruing a total of 19 points out of a possible 20 in the first 10 games.

I believe he has the potential to be a 70+ first line center if developed as such. Stepan will always be your steady 50-55 point two way 2nd line center. In Montreal I always envisioned him as being a 1st line center with Plekanec 2C and Eller at 3C but eventually moving up to 2C as Plekanec got older. It took guys like Kuznetsov and Seguin a few years to learn how to play center, hopefuly it's not too late for Chucky.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Galchenyuk should have been developed at center not because that's what he was drafted as but because Montreal had no better options. It's not a co-incidence that the current management team took a 1st place team in the eastern conference to last place in just a few years. Just some pure unadulterated incompetence.

For all the criticism Galchenyuk gets about his defensive game he had the fewest goals against among forwards on our team and was part of some VERY potent even strength lines. The Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov line was one of the hottest in the league with the team being in first place overall before his injury and setting a franchise record for best start accruing a total of 19 points out of a possible 20 in the first 10 games.

I believe he has the potential to be a 70+ first line center if developed as such. Stepan will always be your steady 50-55 point two way 2nd line center. In Montreal I always envisioned him as being a 1st line center with Plekanec 2C and Eller at 3C but eventually moving up to 2C as Plekanec got older. It took guys like Kuznetsov and Seguin a few years to learn how to play center, hopefuly it's not too late for Chucky.
Thanks for the info. I sure hope you are right.:nod:

Reactions: Bryson

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
1D for 1D don’t get the point? Not 1C for 3w.

Weber was a 1D for one season for the Habs and will only continue to get worse, slow down and break down.

Subban will be a 1D for many more years.

That was a bad trade then, it’s still a bad trade now, and will continue to be a bad trade in 3-4 years for the Habs.

Then you have Sergachev for Drouin

Montreal may not have a #1 C, but they don’t even have a #1 D now.

Reactions: Habs178 and Peanut

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Weber was a 1D for one season for the Habs and will only continue to get worse, slow down and break down.

Subban will be a 1D for many more years.

That was a bad trade then, it’s still a bad trade now, and will continue to be a bad trade in 3-4 years for the Habs.

Then you have Sergachev for Drouin

Montreal may not have a #1 C, but they don’t even have a #1 D now.
Minor detail you may have overlooked, Subban isn't the Preds 1D. And I think his time is ticking as they need to sign Josi and Ellis. I think they trade Subban to clear the contract.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Does that matter? Malkin isn't a 2C because he plays behind Crosby he's just playing that role.
Actually it is a big deal. You can't be a team's 1 anything when you play 2nd minutes. And as long as Crosby plays 2 minutes a night more than Malkin he will be 2nd line center.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Minor detail you may have overlooked, Subban isn't the Preds 1D. And I think his time is ticking as they need to sign Josi and Ellis. I think they trade Subban to clear the contract.

Well, they don't have to do anything this year, do they. They've got cap space for now.

Also, while his contract was high when Montreal signed it, it becomes better as it becomes older and the cap goes up. I am speculating wildly (but this is right, isn't it?) when I add he has become to much of a household name there to be easily traded away. It's not only on the front of that PC-game you find a picture of him is it. So, there should be reasons for them to work hard to avoid trading PK Subban away.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Actually it is a big deal. You can't be a team's 1 anything when you play 2nd minutes.

PK won a Norris, has played #1 minutes many many seasons, and now plays on a team with a stacked defense. He plays like 20 seconds less than Josi. The idea that he's not a #1 defenseman is absurd on its face.

When somebody says "so and so is a #1 this or that" they aren't really talking about what they are doing at this very moment they are talking about the quality of the player. There are at least 15 teams Subban would be the best defenseman on. Probably more.

Also take a gander at the Norris voting. I wasn't even gonna bother with your premise but it's *VERY* debatable that Josi is better than PK.

And as long as Crosby plays 2 minutes a night more than Malkin he will be 2nd line center.

I think you are just completely misunderstanding the common parlance on how people discuss what a #1 is. Probably intentionally.
Derek Stepan #1C. Future hall of famer Evgeni Malkin? Nah 2C.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Well, they don't have to do anything this year, do they. They've got cap space for now.

Also, while his contract was high when Montreal signed it, it becomes better as it becomes older and the cap goes up. I am speculating wildly (but this is right, isn't it?) when I add he has become to much of a household name there to be easily traded away. It's not only on the front of that PC-game you find a picture of him is it. So, there should be reasons for them to work hard to avoid trading PK Subban away.
I think they are good for this year and possibly next year. Subban's hit as percentage of Cap will go down but the contract won't. And I don't think the Preds want to be a max Cap team? They are needing a number 1 goalie plus Ellis next season and Josi the following one. The real kicker could be Weber retiring, the Cap recapture due back to Nashville is crippling.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
PK won a Norris, has played #1 minutes many many seasons, and now plays on a team with a stacked defense. He plays like 20 seconds less than Josi. The idea that he's not a #1 defenseman is absurd on its face.

When somebody says "so and so is a #1 this or that" they aren't really talking about what they are doing at this very moment they are talking about the quality of the player. There are at least 15 teams Subban would be the best defenseman on. Probably more.

Also take a gander at the Norris voting. I wasn't even gonna bother with your premise but it's *VERY* debatable that Josi is better than PK.

I think you are just completely misunderstanding the common parlance on how people discuss what a #1 is. Probably intentionally.
Derek Stepan #1C. Future hall of famer Evgeni Malkin? Nah 2C.
Deleted,, not worth arguing over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad