Confirmed with Link: Domi for Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Minor detail you may have overlooked, Subban isn't the Preds 1D. And I think his time is ticking as they need to sign Josi and Ellis. I think they trade Subban to clear the contract.

I would love to hear how Subban isn't the Preds #1D. He is the teams point leading defenseman in both the regular season and the playoffs. He was up for another Norris Trophy this year. The only Pred to get a conn smythe vote last year. He played 20 seconds less than Josi in the regular season but a full 1:15 more than Josi in the playoffs where it really counts because Josi and Ellis were complete tire fires defensively and couldn't even get the puck out of their own end. If anything it was Josi that let them down big time and Subban was the ONLY defenseman to show up against the Jets in game 7 where he scored a goal. Subban has this uncanny ability to elevate his performance during big games.

Josi and Ellis will be up for a new contract soon sure... but Josi has been underpaid for 7 years and he will want to get PAID at which point he will be commanding about the same salary as Subban, do you get rid of your best defenseman if you're looking to compete for a Cup? You want to discredit Subban's contribution to the team, that's fine but back it up with stats. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would love to hear how Subban isn't the Preds #1D. He is the teams point leading defenseman in both the regular season and the playoffs. He was up for another Norris Trophy this year. The only Pred to get a conn smythe vote last year. He played 20 seconds less than Josi in the regular season but a full 1:15 more than Josi in the playoffs where it really counts because Josi and Ellis were complete tire fires defensively and couldn't even get the puck out of their own end. If anything it was Josi that let them down big time and Subban was the ONLY defenseman to show up against the Jets in game 7 where he scored a goal. Subban has this uncanny ability to elevate his performance during big games.

Josi and Ellis will be up for a new contract soon sure... but Josi has been underpaid for 7 years and he will want to get PAID at which point he will be commanding about the same salary as Subban, do you get rid of your best defenseman if you're looking to compete for a Cup? You want to discredit Subban's contribution to the team, that's fine but back it up with stats. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Number 1: guy who plays the most
Number2: guy who plays the 2nd most
Number 3: you get it.

Points don't equate to number 1, 2, or 3. I guess we figured our Nashville's coaching mistake against the Jets, he played PK too much and he got exposed, the Jets owned him. Josi isn't getting anywhere near PK money, that's why he is staying and I suspect PK will be traded.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
But, Montreal has maybe the worst C group in the NHL. Do you really think they would trade a 1C or even a 2C for a third line winger, maybe second line if he rebounds in Domi? I don't think it is possible that Montreal is that stupid.

Yes they are that stupid. A poll on the main boards this week asked if Marc Bergevin is the worst GM in the NHL and nearly 70% of the votes say yes. And since this isn't in the Montreal forums there is no bias here.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/is-bergevin-the-worst-gm-in-the-nhl.2518207/

1D for 1D don’t get the point? Not 1C for 3w.

They are not comparable though. Firstly Weber is four years older. You wouldn't trade in your car for a car with four more years of mileage on it and call it a fair trade now would you? Then there's the fact that PK has won a Norris Trophy and nominated for another. He was the Canadiens top playoff performer 3 years in a row and took the Nashville Predators to TWO games away from a Stanley Cup the first year he got there. A series they lost only because their #1C went down to injury. Meanwhile Shea Weber has never been passed the 2nd round. He also played a very physical style of game which seems to have caught up to him. Weber is a stay at home defenseman with a huge shot on the PP, Subban plays a complete game and is your prototypical PMD of the modern NHL. It was a stupid trade then and an even worse trade now.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Number 1: guy who plays the most
Number2: guy who plays the 2nd most
Number 3: you get it.

Points don't equate to number 1, 2, or 3. I guess we figured our Nashville's coaching mistake against the Jets, he played PK too much and he got exposed, the Jets owned him. Josi isn't getting anywhere near PK money, that's why he is staying and I suspect PK will be traded.

You think that PK who got nominated for a Norris Trophy got a exposed but that Josi would have done a better job or would he have gotten exposed even harder? Subban 9 points in the playoffs, Josi only 4 points. I take the better defenseman 10 times out of 10 if my goal is to win a stanley cup.

Subban 9 points
Ekholm 8 points
Ellis 5 points
Josi 4 points

Also Kyle Turris Predators 2nd center only 3 assists in the entire playoffs vs Paul Statsny 15 points. You want to know why Nashville lost to the Jets start there, not because of Subban.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You think that PK who got nominated for a Norris Trophy got a exposed but that Josi would have done a better job or would he have gotten exposed even harder? Subban 9 points in the playoffs, Josi only 4 points. I take the better defenseman 10 times out of 10 if my goal is to win a stanley cup.
No I don't think Josi was better. I also don't think PK deserved to be a Norris finalist this past season either. I like PK, I just happen to think he's too much of a risk taker and can't just do his job without showboating. Take the Cup final two years ago as Exhibit A with the mouthwash BS. That didn't go over well with his teammates. When he sticks to hockey he is very effective, he just has some trouble doing that and leaving the Brand for a time.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
No I don't think Josi was better. I also don't think PK deserved to be a Norris finalist this past season either. I like PK, I just happen to think he's too much of a risk taker and can't just do his job without showboating. Take the Cup final two years ago as Exhibit A with the mouthwash BS. That didn't go over well with his teammates. When he sticks to hockey he is very effective, he just has some trouble doing that and leaving the Brand for a time.

Oh ya I forgot to mention that Ellis was injured for half the season so Ekholm had to play with Josi to cover for him meanwhile PK Subban had to carry boat anchor Alexei Emelin for half the season and he still managed to get nominated for the Norris. Now that is pretty funny! That might have affected his usage during the regular season and explain why PK played more in the playoffs when he got his partner back.

And what about Drew Doughty, do you think he deserved to be a Norris finalist too or no? 0 points in the playoffs including a stupid reckless suspension causing him to miss a game and leading his team to getting swept in the first round. That's what we call around here a huge choke job.

Or Viktor Hedman who had 0 points in the last four games against Washington and -2 the last two games before getting eliminated. Guess what no defenseman is perfect.

A few years ago in the Canadiens road the Eastern Conference finals PK told the media after game 6 against Boston “It’s going to be great,” “I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building [in Boston]. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.” and he backed it up in epic fashion.

That listerine comment was not about Subban show boating but more about him trying to throw his opponent off their game. He's much more intelligent than people give him credit for. He's got a bit of a pest element to his game too. Sure sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires but one thing is for sure... he always shows up during big games.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Oh ya I forgot to mention that Ellis was injured for half the season so Ekholm had to play with Josi to cover for him meanwhile PK Subban had to carry boat anchor Alexei Emelin for half the season and he still managed to get nominated for the Norris. Now that is pretty funny! That might have affected his usage during the regular season and explain why PK played more in the playoffs when he got his partner back.

And what about Drew Doughty, do you think he deserved to be a Norris finalist too or no? 0 points in the playoffs including a stupid reckless suspension causing him to miss a game and leading his team to getting swept in the first round. That's what we call around here a huge choke job.

Or Viktor Hedman who had 0 points in the last four games against Washington and -2 the last two games before getting eliminated. Guess what no defenseman is perfect.
I'm sure you already know this but the Norris has nothing to do with the playoffs.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I do but personally I hold more importance to the playoffs than the regular season. The regular season is just an 82 game pre-season and the playoffs is where the men are separated from the boys.
So Buff is now better than PK?? Certainly you must think John Carlson is?? And who lead the Preds in last year's playoffs? Nothing is that simple by the way.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
So Buff is now better than PK?? Certainly you must think John Carlson is?? And who lead the Preds in last year's playoffs? Nothing is that simple by the way.

agreed nothing is that simple but I'm also not the one nit picking who's the 1D because of a few seconds of playtime.

Buff was indeed a monster in the playoffs but he also had help. Scheifele was on fire with 20 points in 17 games. Washington were stacked at every position from top to bottom. Nobody on those teams dragged their feet, can't say the same about Nashville including the Vezina Trophy winner who couldn't stop a beachball in the playoffs to save his life for the second playoffs in a row. This is why I say the playoffs matter more.

Carlson just signed for $8m btw which I think is fair for both sides.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yes they are that stupid. A poll on the main boards this week asked if Marc Bergevin is the worst GM in the NHL and nearly 70% of the votes say yes. And since this isn't in the Montreal forums there is no bias here.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/is-bergevin-the-worst-gm-in-the-nhl.2518207/

They are not comparable though. Firstly Weber is four years older. You wouldn't trade in your car for a car with four more years of mileage on it and call it a fair trade now would you? Then there's the fact that PK has won a Norris Trophy and nominated for another. He was the Canadiens top playoff performer 3 years in a row and took the Nashville Predators to TWO games away from a Stanley Cup the first year he got there. A series they lost only because their #1C went down to injury. Meanwhile Shea Weber has never been passed the 2nd round. He also played a very physical style of game which seems to have caught up to him. Weber is a stay at home defenseman with a huge shot on the PP, Subban plays a complete game and is your prototypical PMD of the modern NHL. It was a stupid trade then and an even worse trade now.
A poll on the main boards, are you serious? Do you have to be 12 or 13 years old to vote in it? Weber for PK might not have worked out that well for Montreal, but it was 1D for 1D. If Galchenyuk becomes our 1C and gets 70 points this year, Chayka will be GM of the year. I bet Montreal never thought of playing Galchenyuk at C being as stacked as they are down the middle?

Chayka has been fortunate with several moves so far (Stepan/Raanta/Panik/Hjam/Chych and Keller picks), but he is due for a mistake.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
A poll on the main boards, are you serious? Do you have to be 12 or 13 years old to vote in it? Weber for PK might not have worked out that well for Montreal, but it was 1D for 1D. If Galchenyuk becomes our 1C and gets 70 points this year, Chayka will be GM of the year. I bet Montreal never thought of playing Galchenyuk at C being as stacked as they are down the middle?

Look the GM of the MTL Canadiens is stupid because of the moves he made that led a 2nd place team in the East to nearly last place in the league in a matter of a couple of years, not because of the stupid poll. PK Subban led his team two games away from a stanley cup. Lars Eller another center was traded away and treated like a red headed step child his entire career here despite being the team's leading forward in the run to the ECF and the team having no centers. Lars Eller ended up scoring the stanley cup game winning goal for Washington. Radulov was allowed to walk for nothing despite being a huge fan favorite. He went from a 54 point winger in Montreal to 72 points in Dallas. I can keep going but I think you get the idea. If you want to make a case for Bergevin being an intelligent GM then have at it, but I think you're going to have a difficult time.

Chayka has been fortunate with several moves so far (Stepan/Raanta/Panik/Hjam/Chych and Keller picks), but he is due for a mistake.

Or the trend continues and Chayka hit another homerun? After so many good moves why wouldn't you give your GM the benefit of the doubt? Are you one of those glass half empty guys?

This is the GM of the MTL Canadiens btw. Even the other GMs around the league don't respect him. How can you see this and not laugh at the guy.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Look the GM of the MTL Canadiens is stupid because of the moves he made that led a 2nd place team in the East to nearly last place in the league in a matter of a couple of years, not because of the stupid poll. PK Subban led his team two games away from a stanley cup. Lars Eller another center was traded away and treated like a red headed step child his entire career here despite being the team's leading forward in the run to the ECF and the team having no centers. Lars Eller ended up scoring the stanley cup game winning goal for Washington. Radulov was allowed to walk for nothing despite being a huge fan favorite. He went from a 54 point winger in Montreal to 72 points in Dallas. I can keep going but I think you get the idea. If you want to make a case for Bergevin being an intelligent GM then have at it, but I think you're going to have a difficult time.

Or the trend continues and Chayka hit another homerun? After so many good moves why wouldn't you give your GM the benefit of the doubt? Are you one of those glass half empty guys?

This is the GM of the MTL Canadiens btw. Even the other GMs around the league don't respect him. How can you see this and not laugh at the guy.

Revisionist history with regards to Eller, he would not accept the role he fits in Montreal and always thought he was more. In Wash he accepted 3rd line role and did well. And as for that drop off by Montreal it just might have something to do with their Franchise goalie being injured and their top winger having a bad year.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Revisionist history with regards to Eller, he would not accept the role he fits in Montreal and always thought he was more. In Wash he accepted 3rd line role and did well. And as for that drop off by Montreal it just might have something to do with their Franchise goalie being injured and their top winger having a bad year.

Wut? Don't tell me what the problems of the MTL Canadiens are, I live and breath them on a daily basis so I know them inside out and it starts with the boneheaded GM.

In Washington Eller is playing behind Kuznetsov and Backstrom, two of the best centers in the league. FYI when they went down to injuries in the playoffs, Eller stepped up and was a crucial cog in the machine scoring 10 points in 6 games as a top 6 center. No Eller = no stanley cup. Why don't you go and ask Ovechkin how long he's been waiting to win a stanley cup.

In Montreal both Eller and Galchenyuk played behind David Desharnais for years, a 5'6 midget that is no longer in the league and only redeeming factor was that he spoke french. And Plekanec who completely fell off a cliff offensively due to being old. Montreal now has Drouin, a winger who never played center in his life and failed spectacularly at it and a bunch of other spare parts and wingers playing center. Lars Eller and Galchenyuk would be the team's best centers right now and it's not even close.

The Franchise goalie having a bad year might have something to do with the ECHL defense that the GM put together. And our top winger that the GM is hellbent on doing his best to ruin his trade value before running another top level talent out of town might be feeling the effects of losing a PMD like Subban. Pacioretty had no problems scoring multiple 30 goal seasons before PK was traded.

Analyze This: Habs' lack of puck-moving rearguards stifling Pacioretty

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wut? Don't tell me what the problems of the MTL Canadiens are, I live and breath them on a daily basis so I know them inside out and it starts with the boneheaded GM.

In Washington Eller is playing behind Kuznetsov and Backstrom, two of the best centers in the league. FYI when they went down to injuries in the playoffs, Eller stepped up and was a crucial cog in the machine scoring 10 points in 6 games as a top 6 center. No Eller = no stanley cup. Why don't you go and ask Ovechkin how long he's been waiting to win a stanley cup.

In Montreal both Eller and Galchenyuk played behind David Desharnais for years, a 5'6 midget that is no longer in the league and only redeeming factor was that he spoke french. And Plekanec who completely fell off a cliff offensively due to being old. Montreal now has Drouin, a winger who never played center in his life and failed spectacularly at it and a bunch of other spare parts and wingers playing center. Lars Eller and Galchenyuk would be the team's best centers right now and it's not even close.

The Franchise goalie having a bad year might have something to do with the ECHL defense that the GM put together. And our top winger that the GM is hellbent on doing his best to ruin his trade value before running another top level talent out of town might be feeling the effects of losing a PMD like Subban. Pacioretty had no problems scoring multiple 30 goal seasons before PK was traded.

Analyze This: Habs' lack of puck-moving rearguards stifling Pacioretty
It seems Patch had little trouble scoring last season without PK. Bergevin is an issue but this season's woes had more to do with Price and Weber being injured than anything else. And Eller would not have changed that.

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It's a thread about Galchenyuk but got a little sidetracked. Needs to get back on track or we'll have to shut it down.

Well this thread went sideways when a poster didn't believe that a player of Galchenyuk's caliber could get traded but it happens all the time... Erat for Forsberg, Tyler Seguin trade, Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. Remember Hall scored only 53 points last year and jumped to 93 points this year after everyone thought that he was never going to live up to expectations because of his poor development in Edmonton. This is not to say that this is what will happen to Galchenyuk but his issues are his confidence. When he is playing with confidence he is a thing of beauty. As a fan of his I am most excited to see if he can reach his potential.

Again apologies for going off topic.. it was nice to talk hockey especially during the dog days of summer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think most Yotes fans have liked what Chayka has done, but it has not translated to the ice. It's all about winning. IF this team gets a new investor and the team stumbles again, I believe Chayka will be on the hot seat. I hope this all becomes moot because I think we are capable of making the playoffs or in the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->