Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I think the full dirt will be handed out at the end of july.
I mean mayne sire, you done did knew dis here already. Just like I deed mine. We already knew. We BELONG to that 17.9% up there who did that. We posted it, said it 1 month ago, weeks ago, connected the dots, did our math (we know we winners and gittin that paper so we know our math and money mayne) so we did that tactiques. And we KNEW how rich and powerful and greedy these leagues is mayne. You already said: This dirt is coming back real soon and real hard. I'm clappin my hands real hard here cause I made this. This mine and already proof up there. Now is all out there and bettman promised that, feuci said it, leagues is coming back and play for the empty seat. Mayne we hard. Beating everybody and this whole thang up. :clap: I'm clappin for y'all sire. Cause y'all in this 17.9 % we knew it. Our knowledge of life, dots and math is high sire. Mayne its high.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is what is gonna happen. It will not feel right without us fans in da stands but bottom line the TV $$$ now dwarfs da arena fan. Da NBA can't afford 2.5B payback this year. They will default too. None of da players or owners want season cancelled. And either do the TV networks. By June MLB NBA and I think NHL will be playing in empty arenas and ball fields. Fans are not likely back in until a vaccine is found. It will be impossible to manage a 20,000 crowd at Scotia. Even 10,000 quite frankly.

Yesterday in California the Gov and Mayor of LA were saying they don't expect sports events to return until 2021 in their state.

Social distancing is the best defense against this virus and sporting events with live fans in the thousands crammed in like sardines into sporting arenas is the exact opposite of that and likely worst case scenario possible in defending against the spread.

A vaccine is really the best hope for sports as we knew them to return to normalcy again.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yesterday in California the Gov and Mayor of LA were saying they don't expect sports events to return until 2021 in their state.

Social distancing is the best defense against this virus and sporting events with live fans in the thousands crammed in like sardines into sporting arenas is the exact opposite of that and likely worst case scenario possible in defending against the spread.

A vaccine is really the best hope for sports as we knew them to return to normalcy again.
There will be ZERO fans in any stands until a cure or vaccine is finalized. The PGA, UFC, NBA and MLB can all survive without fans in stands. The only questionable league is da NHL. I am not sure ANY teams could survive in NHL without ticket revenue. Until NHL gets a normal national TV deal it will suffer.

Reactions: Myopic

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
If they resume hockey soon, the Leafs should do very well, given the social distancing the teams will have to incorporate into play.
:sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There will be ZERO fans in any stands until a cure or vaccine is finalized. The PGA, UFC, NBA and MLB can all survive without fans in stands. The only questionable league is da NHL. I am not sure ANY teams could survive in NHL without ticket revenue. Until NHL gets a normal national TV deal it will suffer.

They are in a tough situation. I can see fans watch regular season baseball without fans but I’m not sure about a gimmicky NHL playoff. NBC may be obligated to air the games, but can it draw enough interest without fan involvement?
How would an empty building affect the players? Baseball might be OK in the short term but, hockey and football players feed off the crowd.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They are in a tough situation. I can see fans watch regular season baseball without fans but I’m not sure about a gimmicky NHL playoff. NBC may be obligated to air the games, but can it draw enough interest without fan involvement?
How would an empty building affect the players? Baseball might be OK in the short term but, hockey and football players feed off the crowd.
No idea how it will work but NBA MLB and NFL has massive national TV contracts and can survive without fans. Da NHL with 400-500M per in revenue from over 5B total revenue per season --- well i think not.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If they resume hockey soon, the Leafs should do very well, given the social distancing the teams will have to incorporate into play.
:sarcasm:

True!

If the season was never interrupted there’s a good chance the Leafs season would be over by this weekend anyway, assuming it hadn’t ended on April 4th.

Reactions: mallory67

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So they have have already started talking to neutral northern US states to find a few places to play ... I wonder who is gonna fund these neutral games to fulfill their TV contract? I am guessing trying to find cheapest deals on arenas and logistics too. Anywho i don't care about it. But would love to see hockey in July and August.
Sportsnet Staff@SportsnetApril 17, 2020, 11:34 AM
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly have been saying that all options are on the table as the league tries to figure out a way to return to play and finish the 2019-20 season, once health officials give the direction that it’s safe to do so.
And that could mean playing the rest of the games in neutral sites.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported that North Dakota was one potential location for the NHL to resume, and since then Manchester, New Hampshire has come up as another possible site to help complete the season.
On Friday, New Hampshire governor Chris Sununu joined WEEI Sports Radio Network and was asked if he had been in communication with the NHL about possibly hosting some games in his state.
“There is truth to that,” he said. “I have had discussions about that. Don’t know whether it’s going to happen, but we are talking about it.”

Chris Sununu✔@GovChrisSununu

1f440.png
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1251143043660632065 …
Chris Johnston✔@reporterchris
The governor of New Hampshire is involved in talks with the NHL. https://twitter.com/KenLairdWEEI/status/1251137174222843906 …

10:24 AM - Apr 17, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
101 people are talking about this
It’s believed that if the NHL was able to return in this form that it would need to happen at several neutral sites. Players would need to remain isolated, get tested regularly, and social distancing rules would have to soften for this to be an option.
Sununu added that any discussions he’s had have been preliminary and that there are still a myriad of issues to sort through and figure out before they could proceed.
“It would be a very interesting opportunity for New Hampshire, but even the venues would have to say, ‘Yes we want this,’ because we gotta make sure what are the liabilities here? What if a team were to get sick, how’s it going to be managed? So we’re working through some of those logistics, but that’s on the table for sure.”
Bettman, NHL exploring every option for resuming or canceling season
Bettman has remained optimistic that a Stanley Cup will be awarded in 2020. The postponement of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to 2021 has extended a window for the NHL to play into late July and August.
While Bettman has said that ideally any return would include finishing the regular season, he also admitted that “may not be possible.” Players would not only need a few weeks to get back in game shape before jumping into playoffs, but the league also does not want any return-to-play decision to disrupt a full 82-game 2020-21 season.
“We believe that we can be fairly flexible in terms of the calendar,” Bettman told Fox Business Network this week. “My guess at this point is we’re probably going to be playing into the summer, which is something that we can certainly do.”

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So they have have already started talking to neutral northern US states to find a few places to play ... I wonder who is gonna fund these neutral games to fulfill their TV contract? I am guessing trying to find cheapest deals on arenas and logistics too. Anywho i don't care about it. But would love to see hockey in July and August.
Sportsnet Staff@SportsnetApril 17, 2020, 11:34 AM
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly have been saying that all options are on the table as the league tries to figure out a way to return to play and finish the 2019-20 season, once health officials give the direction that it’s safe to do so.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported that North Dakota was one potential location for the NHL to resume, and since then Manchester, New Hampshire has come up as another possible site to help complete the season.
On Friday, New Hampshire governor Chris Sununu joined WEEI Sports Radio Network and was asked if he had been in communication with the NHL about possibly hosting some games in his state.
“There is truth to that,” he said. “I have had discussions about that. Don’t know whether it’s going to happen, but we are talking about it.”
101 people are talking about this
It’s believed that if the NHL was able to return in this form that it would need to happen at several neutral sites. Players would need to remain isolated, get tested regularly, and social distancing rules would have to soften for this to be an option.
Sununu added that any discussions he’s had have been preliminary and that there are still a myriad of issues to sort through and figure out before they could proceed.
“It would be a very interesting opportunity for New Hampshire, but even the venues would have to say, ‘Yes we want this,’ because we gotta make sure what are the liabilities here? What if a team were to get sick, how’s it going to be managed? So we’re working through some of those logistics, but that’s on the table for sure.”
Bettman has remained optimistic that a Stanley Cup will be awarded in 2020. The postponement of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to 2021 has extended a window for the NHL to play into late July and August.
While Bettman has said that ideally any return would include finishing the regular season, he also admitted that “may not be possible.” Players would not only need a few weeks to get back in game shape before jumping into playoffs, but the league also does not want any return-to-play decision to disrupt a full 82-game 2020-21 season.
“We believe that we can be fairly flexible in terms of the calendar,” Bettman told Fox Business Network this week. “My guess at this point is we’re probably going to be playing into the summer, which is something that we can certainly do.”

I wonder how the players feel of the gimmicky format? It’d be a good year for Boston to win when no can watch it and they can’t celebrate.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Whe im still skeptical they fo ish the season or have playoffs, i dont care about theblack fo crowd. Especially since id likely watch most games on tv anyways.

I just want to be entertained by sports.

Reactions: ktownhockey

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I hope we win. I don't care if da format is wonky. or even if it is astericked. I will be watching our Leafs. Screw da Bruins. I hate them more than any other team.
It’d be fitting, win one that doesnt really count and no one could see it or celebrate.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Reading through this thread, it keeps reminding me of what Odog was feeling during the lockout, I remembered he said it in Overdirve that he was sweating every time there was an announcement about the lockout as he was afraid it will end and he needs to get back in shape in a hurry.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly have been saying that all options are on the table as the league tries to figure out a way to return to play and finish the 2019-20 season, once health officials give the direction that it’s safe to do so.

My MAN!!! What happened!!??

You missed 12 full instances here!!! I realise that most of it is pasted from an article, but there are still a few that YOU missed!! Everything okay on your end ;) ???

Last edited:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017

Governor Newsom of California is the radical liberal who thinks illegal aliens and sanctuary cities is a good thing. He's the same dope who cannot control the monumental homeless problems his state has been ravaged by.

Most of the US will be back to work long before the summer ends and California will be under tremendous peer pressure to follow suit. Their economy is massive and the size of many countries around the world. There will be huge demonstrations if Newsom enforces draconian isolation rules unlike the rest of the country. The people simply won't stand for it. We're already seeing that in Michigan and it is only April.

I expect most sports leagues to start with few, if any fans, and then open it up slowly. I could see them adding fans at a progressive rate from 25% to 30% and so on until arenas & stadiums are 50-60% filled in 2020. Fans will be expected to wear masks and will be seated 6' away from each other.

I expect several treatments to be widely available for Covid-19 in a month or two. There will be no need for a vaccine to open up society, including sports. The vaccine will come next spring.

Last edited:

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Governor Newsom of California is the radical liberal who thinks illegal aliens and sanctuary cities is a good thing. He's the same dope who cannot control the monumental homeless problems his state has been ravaged by.

Most of the US will be back to work long before the summer ends and California will be under tremendous peer pressure to follow suit. Their economy is massive and the size of many countries around the world. There will be huge demonstrations if Newsom enforces draconian isolation rules unlike the rest of the country. The people simply won't stand for it. We're already seeing that in Michigan and it is only April.

I expect most sports leagues to start with few, if any fans, and then open it up slowly. I could see them adding fans at a progressive rate from 25% to 30% and so on until arenas & stadiums are 50-60% filled in 2020. Fans will be expected to wear masks and will be seated 6' away from each other.

I expect several treatments to be widely available for Covid-19 in a month or two. There will be no need for a vaccine to open up society, including sports. The vaccine will come next spring.
I agree. There won't be any sports this summer but anyone thinking that pro sports aren't happening in September is crazy. Sweden hasn't shut anything down and they really haven't seen that many more deaths. If things steadily improve over the next few months we need to ease out of this, just continue to protect the most vulnerable. It's not sustainable to shut down the economy for much longer.

Reactions: Coachcorner

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

You expect that based on what exactly? A few right wing whack jobs (talking about the idiots with flags and guns blockading ambulances, not a dig on the right in general) aren’t going to terrify the Governors into opening up early. Sports leagues can’t start playing when only some states are open.

The NHL especially will also have to rely on Canada being open for business and for the most part there’s no indication we will be.

Sports will return, just it will be without fans first most likely.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
So one idea is too play in a small town and have players living individually in hotel rooms or something? All 16 teams in the same small town?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I hope you are right. But I think NBA and MLB will open in mid to late June without fans in stands. Da NBA will likely do it in Vegas where they play summer league. Da NHL I am not sure. My gut says they will too but da economics don't make much sense for them to.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hope you are right. But I think NBA and MLB will open in mid to late June without fans in stands. Da NBA will likely do it in Vegas where they play summer league. Da NHL I am not sure. My gut says they will too but da economics don't make much sense for them to.

Why do you insist on writing Da instead of the? Could you please do us the courtesy of using the English language, it would be much appreciated.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Georgia and Tennessee the first ones opening it up BIG tyme baby! Mayne we bout our paper and going hard now mayne!!!!! :paper: :mayne: :man: :sire: :sir: :hard: :put: :that: :on: :there:

RickyVaive

Jul 6, 2013
I agree. There won't be any sports this summer but anyone thinking that pro sports aren't happening in September is crazy. Sweden hasn't shut anything down and they really haven't seen that many more deaths. If things steadily improve over the next few months we need to ease out of this, just continue to protect the most vulnerable. It's not sustainable to shut down the economy for much longer.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/swede...l-after-controversially-refusing-to-lockdown/

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Not to sound callous or anything, but 1300 deaths isn't really that many, especially when you factor in that many of them were probably close to death. They are also banking on building an immunity quicker and not dealing with a 2nd wave outbreak, but who the hell knows right now. Im happy with the measures Canada has taken so far, I just don't think it's sustainable past this summer. People always say you can't put a price on life, but we do it all the time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad