Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

Does y'all think the NHL will continue this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Simple question sire, is the NHL continue to play this season and we gon get a new stanley cup champion?

I as a mayne think the nhl will continue from like 2.5 months from this day and even regular season games will be played since mcdavid, crosby etc are wanting them real hard. Before the playoffs they mean and I mean. Cause I know ice hockey. Lets see what the whole maple leaf nation thinks of this thang. It's gon be a vote here.

Reactions: SnizzMitch

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Is there any obligation for the players to play, contractually ?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is there any obligation for the players to play, contractually ?

they got paid 82 games. They are in a 50/50 split. It’s more they are on the hook for lost profits. If the league was expecting 5 billion in revenue and player salaries equal 2.5 billion (which they do)

And now they are at 4 billion. The players owe 500 million to owners this year. They will want to play to lower escrow.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The only way this would be remotely possible is if there was a designated venue set up for a playoff tournament with no fans, and all the team personnel were in isolation throughout at a designated nearby hotel where all the staff would also be in isolation for the duration of the tournament.

It's a longshot, but if everyone involved was not in contact with the public throughout, it could theoretically be possible at a single venue in Canada in several weeks from now.

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
From the latest 31 thoughts, Elliotte Friedman said the NHL is asking venues if they have availability in late July/early August. With no Olympics to compete with, and a new TV deal needed, it is in their best interest to try to drum up interest during that empty period when there's nothing but mid-season baseball to compete with them. They want to do some kind of small tournament-style playoff in late July / early August, have free agency in September, and then training camp / preseason a couple weeks later than normal.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The only way this would be remotely possible is if there was a designated venue set up for a playoff tournament with no fans, and all the team personnel were in isolation throughout at a designated nearby hotel where all the staff would also be in isolation for the duration of the tournament.

It's a longshot, but if everyone involved was not in contact with the public throughout, it could theoretically be possible at a single venue in Canada in several weeks from now.

Whistler could be a spot. They have done it before.

they could rent out entire hotels. I mean I don’t see availability being an issue.

they absolutely could do something like that. Or have in any arena or city really. If there
Are no fans. What does it matter

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
they got paid 82 games. They are in a 50/50 split. It’s more they are on the hook for lost profits. If the league was expecting 5 billion in revenue and player salaries equal 2.5 billion (which they do)

And now they are at 4 billion. The players owe 500 million to owners this year. They will want to play to lower escrow.

Bobby Mac was talking about this. He said the PA and the league have already talked about this, and the agreement in principle was made that the Players won't be responsible for picking up the entire tab on escrow on loss of revenue.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think hockey will return this season when ..

upload_2020-3-29_8-7-44.jpeg

Reactions: Al14

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Bobby Mac was talking about this. He said the PA and the league have already talked about this, and the agreement in principle was made that the Players won't be responsible for picking up the entire tab on escrow on loss of revenue.

? Which program? I’d like to hear it and if it’s Toronto based it will be on podcasts.

It’s a 50/50 split so I believe they will be equally responsible. The issue is that the owners have already paid the full salaries and got 70/82 and no playoffs.

so I don’t see why the owners would agree to pay for a partial season. It would be interesting to hear

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The ice rinks will be filled with dead bodies as they convert them to temporary morgues. Can't play hockey there.

Reactions: Al14

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Starts up beginning of May, empty arena if necessary, 5 game series until conference finals where 7 game series resumes.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

TV ratings would be through the roof .. But I think this tournament style mid-summer is our best case scenario TBH.

A better question is: will they cancel the season outright and try to start a new one in the fall? Or will they resume the current season in the fall and shorten next season to make up for the lost time?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I think it will, but it’s going straight to the playoffs, probably in June since the NHL is asking all GM’s for arena availability as late as August.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
? Which program? I’d like to hear it and if it’s Toronto based it will be on podcasts.

It’s a 50/50 split so I believe they will be equally responsible. The issue is that the owners have already paid the full salaries and got 70/82 and no playoffs.

so I don’t see why the owners would agree to pay for a partial season. It would be interesting to hear

It was on TSN1050. Maybe a week or two ago? Honestly everyday is just groundhog day now

The angle on the whole thing was how the pandemic actually helped to PA and the league to work together on a number of issues.

Will see if I can find it

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Simple question sire, is the NHL continue to play this season and we gon get a new stanley cup champion?

I as a mayne think the nhl will continue from like 2.5 months from this day and even regular season games will be played since mcdavid, crosby etc are wanting them real hard. Before the playoffs they mean and I mean. Cause I know ice hockey. Lets see what the whole maple leaf nation thinks of this thang. It's gon be a vote here.
I think they do yes.they could still keep 6 feet apart in the poor markets and there would be walk up tickets left. I think they distancing is taken seriously enough by Canadian citizens to knock in down in 3 weeks time. Doesn’t have to be full rinks,maple leafs square won’t be there etc. I don’t think they will be taking over the Leafs rink for a morgue either lol.

They will complete the regular season and shorten the first two rounds and we will be raking leaves in the fall watching the playoffs outdoors;)

Last edited:

nort

Oct 5, 2019
nope. unfortunately, this virus was purposely spread in order to lock down the cities in advance of the coming meteor storms. the elite have gone to their bunkers. few on earth's surface will survive. enjoy each day.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It was on TSN1050. Maybe a week or two ago? Honestly everyday is just groundhog day now

The angle on the whole thing was how the pandemic actually helped to PA and the league to work together on a number of issues.

Will see if I can find it

it’s ok I can look back through. Something to listen to on the way to work

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
There might not be a 2020-2021 season either!

There is talk of a second wave of Covid in November!
imo, i think we will be good to go in Canada, i dunno about new york though, so its possible, the heat of the summer may kill off the virus, just guessing though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad